NEWS

A Tir Na Nog, magic, cyberzombie romance

• 3 Replies

Kato

• Newb
« on: <09-22-19/1844:22> »
I've decided to send my players to Tir Na Nog for a bit. We've kind of gotten pigeon holed into this tech/combat heavy game style and I want to mix it up and throw in more magic. It will be sort of a Resident Evil 4/Silent Hill combo where the characters have to fight their way through an island where there are a lot of puzzles and some magic encounters. The one thing I would absolutely love to do is bring out some RE type monsters. So...anyone had any success with cyberzombies and cybermancy yet? I'm mainly looking for an explanation as to how you built the stats. Thinking of something from a Resident Evil boss fight. I've read Augmentation and figured a cyberzombie is just a meta with an inhumane amount of cyberware that makes them a combat monster. Thoughts?

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <09-23-19/0001:48> »
They're also said to be both horrifyingly expensive and horrifyingly unethical, so they'd be very difficult to mass-produce. I'd say to be careful with one, and maybe treat it less like a Resident Evil 4 character, and more like Nemesis, from RE 3. Show a scene of a camera feed of something breaking loose and effortlessly vivisecting everyone, sending the message that they need to avoid a direct confrontation until they can acquire a rocket launcher.

As for making one, all I can suggest is something general: pick someone with high Attributes (with possibly CHA, or INT or something as a dump stat), not necessarily using PC stats because a lot of money was sunk on this, and add cyberware (potentially all Delta grade) until the poor thing's Essence is at somewhere like -2. Give it a mobile background count, as blood magic is needed to make the whole setup work (and to make it more resistant to spells/unnerve spirits), and give everyone possible escape routes. PCs, to tip them off that a stand-and-fight mentality would be a bad idea, and your cyberzombie so it can escape in the event that the PCs do manage to cheese it.

As for Silent Hill-related horror, that sounds like it'd probably be better suited to a metaplanar quest. One where all the spirits want to scare you and gross you out?
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Kato

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-23-19/1739:22> »
Yeah I was actually thinking of Nemesis when I was designing the thing. Figured it was as close to a cyberzombie as you can get. I'm doing an RE/Silent Hill theme for Halloween. They're going to travel to Rathland island to try to locate a kid that has been kidnapped from Tir Na Nog. The kid won't actually be on the island, but the PC's will run into a bigger scheme that they will have to deal with. Rathland Island will have a sort of a Resident Evil style setting but with some creepy Silent Hill style baddies running around too. Plus the whole fog thing.
Basically, the Ordo Maximus are using the island as an area to conduct their creepy vamp experiments and are using the residents of the island as test subjects. There'll be some blood magic, some cyberzombies, some creepy monsters, a mansion or castle. I've also had a run of bad luck with making things challenging for them (some due to how they go about solving their objectives, some due to some horrendous dice rolls on my part) so I'm trying beef up the opposition a bit. I figure a cyberzombie as a boss should be enough of a challenge, particularly after they've been through a few fights with some creepy crawlies.

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-28-19/2250:09> »
Other than the usual, "Careful when beefing things up, in case something accidentally one-shots someone out of nowhere," sounds like you've got something amazing and memorable!
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"