NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #585 on: <06-04-14/1117:11> »
Or we could go with the much simpler explanation: Eliohan has at least two accounts, one as Cerberus, and one as Neurosis, just like I have multiple avatars on World of Warcraft.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #586 on: <06-04-14/1118:20> »
Yeah....he probably loves playing that BTL fantasy game....can't remember what it was called but it was mentioned in Vice.

martinchaen

« Reply #587 on: <06-04-14/1146:35> »
Mirikon
After the rather overwhelming amount of in-game quotes i provided, all of which referencing Eliohann and his apparent instability, that's your statement? It's pretty clear to me that based on the canon Eliohann doesn't "just" have two accounts...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #588 on: <06-04-14/1213:01> »
There are many kinds of insane, martin. And having symptoms of a condition does not mean you have the actual condition. Especially since many of the symptoms and early indicators of dissociative identity disorder are also symptoms and indicators of a couple dozen other mental illnesses. And who is going to to do an in depth psych profile of a dragon? Furthermore, the info in Street Legends comes from Eliohann himself, and do you really want to trust everything a dragon (even a dragon e-ghost) tells you about themselves? Hell, even Plan 9 says later on in that same profile (once he realized that Eliohann gave him this info) that the dragon e-ghost had vetted everything.

Even if you take the Street Legends profile as 100% gospel, there are counter-indicators even within the profile that suggests that even if he did have a full-on psychotic break, he got better over time, especially after he got an upgraded datajack. And how would you check his records before and after the Crash? How many psych evals of a dragon do you think actually survived Jormungand? We have hearsay and conjecture, brought to us by a conspiracy theorist fed info by a dragon. I'd say a healthy degree of skepticism is in order.

My Characters

martinchaen

« Reply #589 on: <06-04-14/1235:34> »
There's a little more day data than just Street Legends...

[edit]
Bah, autocorrect...
« Last Edit: <06-04-14/1525:37> by martinchaen »

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #590 on: <06-04-14/1518:51> »
Yeah....he probably loves playing that BTL fantasy game....can't remember what it was called but it was mentioned in Vice.

Tekken 2075?  ;D

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #591 on: <06-04-14/1901:22> »
I'm just going to throw one small bit of fuel on the Eliohann fire - the etiology of Dissociative Identity Disorder entails some very, very, very extreme trauma (it's been suggested that what actually happens is that the mind sort of splits just to keep a person alive).  If that first exposure to the Matrix were traumatic enough, it seems possible that it could have led to a case of DID.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #592 on: <06-05-14/0753:50> »

Dawn of Atlantis? The one that seems to be basically an Earthdawn MMORPG where Harlequin spends most of his time when he's not pursuing vendettas?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Nightmare

• Chummer
  • Freelance merc, runner, and assassin
« Reply #593 on: <06-06-14/1005:34> »
I'm just going to throw one small bit of fuel on the Eliohann fire - the etiology of Dissociative Identity Disorder entails some very, very, very extreme trauma (it's been suggested that what actually happens is that the mind sort of splits just to keep a person alive).  If that first exposure to the Matrix were traumatic enough, it seems possible that it could have led to a case of DID.

Very extreme trauma, eh?  So dying while jacked in....hmmm..I guess that might work.  :P

martinchaen

« Reply #594 on: <06-06-14/1010:52> »
Technically, Eliohann didn't die :)

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #595 on: <06-15-14/0436:53> »
Thread Necro!!

I was thinking it would be supremely ironic (among other things) if the Sybil/CFD was something stemming from a shedim-possessed Dr Halberstam . . .

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #596 on: <06-15-14/0731:03> »
Not happening. Sybil is wholly a matrix phenomenon. While it could somehow be possible that 'a shedim-possessed Dr. Halberstam' could have been involved in torturing the AIs, the root cause is in the matrix, or possibly the Resonance. Both are things that a shedim would be ill-equipped to meddle in, if it even cared to. While crazy plot twists sound fun on paper, they are usually full of plot holes that you could drive a semi through. Look for the simple solution, it is usually the right one. We have enough possible players that are actually likely to have been responsible for this without inventing new things.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #597 on: <06-15-14/1203:19> »
Wild speculation, remember?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #598 on: <06-15-14/1241:19> »

In that case:

ITS THE EVIL PETTING ZOO BUNNIES!!!
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #599 on: <06-15-14/2250:10> »

In that case:

ITS THE EVIL PETTING ZOO BUNNIES!!!

Not the Vorpal Sheep?  :o  ::)