NEWS

Wandering Fighter Adept

• 6 Replies

Jackleg Rooster

• Newb
  • Five Point Palm Exploding Heart!
« on: <03-12-18/2110:01> »
Hey gang, I haven't been here in a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time but I've gotten the SR bug again and it's time to get back to character making.

I've got an Akuma style wandering fighter here and i was wondering if I could get some eyes on it. Magic in SR has never been my strong suit.

I understand already that it fits a very narrow type of run since he has basically no gear to speak of.

Demon
METATYPE: TROLL
B 9, A 4, R 3/6, S 10, W 3, L 1, I 4, C 2, ESS 6, EDG 4, M 6
Condition Monitor (P/S): 13 / 10
Armor: 16
Limits: Physical 12, Mental 3, Social 5
Physical Initiative: 7/10+4D6
Active Skills: Gymnastics (Rolling +2) 6, Intimidation (Physical +2) 2, Perception (Visual +2) 6, Survival (Urban +2) 1, Unarmed Combat (Karate +2) 6
Knowledge Skills: Barrens Gangs 2, World Renowned Martial Artists 4
Languages: English 4, Japanese N
Metatype Abilities: Armor (+1), Enhanced Senses: Thermographic Vision
Qualities: Adept, Distinctive Style: Refuses to use weapons, Mentor Spirit: Berserker, Superhuman Psychosis, The Spiritual Way: Killing Hands, Mystic Armor: Berserker, Tough and Targeted, Uneducated
Adept Powers: Improved Reflexes (3), Killing Hands, Mystic Armor (5), Smashing Blow
Vehicles:
. . Yamaha Kaburaya [Handling 5/3, Speed 6, Accel 3, Body 5, Armor 4, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Seats 1]
. . . . Gear:
. . . . . . Linguistics: English (local language)
. . . . . . Linguistics: Japanese (Manufacturer's Language)
Gear:
. . Certified Credstick, Standard
. . Demon w/ (1 month) Abandoned Dojo
. . Forearm Guards
. . Urban Explorer Jumpsuit
Weapons:
. . Unarmed Strike [Unarmed, Reach 1, Acc 12, DV 10P, AP –]
Contacts:
Teddy Wong (Connection 3, Loyalty 1)
Starting ¥: 1,745 + (1D6 × 20)¥

--------------------

Yamaha Kaburaya
CHASSIS: YAMAHA KABURAYA
Handling 5, Handling (Off-Road) 3, Speed 6, Acceleration 3, Body 5, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Seating 1, Device Rating 1, Data Processing 1, Firewall 1
Condition Monitor: 15
Armor: 4H
Limits: Mental 2
Physical Initiative: 2+4D6
Gear:
. . Linguistics: English (local language)
. . Linguistics: Japanese (Manufacturer's Language)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2018 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #1 on: <03-12-18/2123:35> »
In my opinion, you shouldn't go for Mystic Armor with this kind of character.  You would do much better to wear stronger armor (the armor jacket comes in many styles) with some armor extra like Gel Packs (+2 Armor, -2 Phys. Limit for determining knockdown) and the Securetech PPP stuff.  Then, with your Power Points I'd buy Combat Sense.  +1 defense will benefit you more than +1 armor, especially with your already high REA + INT.  Normally I'd say Improved Reflexes 3 is overkill at chargen, but this character is the kind that needs to be overwhelming to make their role work.

I don't think "refuses to use weapons" is the kind of thing Distinctive Style is supposed to cover; generally if refers to visual cues that someone could use to describe you to an investigator.  "He was unarmed" won't help them find you in a crowd.  Talk to your GM if Code of Honor would work, as it's more along the lines of "an oath to not do X" that may fit.  Your GM may ask that it be more severe than just not using weapons, though.

The way you wrote your qualities is a little confusing...  But I assume that's Hero Lab, not you.  Like "Mystic Armor: Berserker" probably doesn't use a colon the same way "Distinctive Style: Refuses to use weapons" does.

I thought you got Knowledge Skills equal to (LOG + INT) x 2?  If so, you should have more.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Jackleg Rooster

• Newb
  • Five Point Palm Exploding Heart!
« Reply #2 on: <03-12-18/2144:51> »
In my opinion, you shouldn't go for Mystic Armor with this kind of character.  You would do much better to wear stronger armor (the armor jacket comes in many styles) with some armor extra like Gel Packs (+2 Armor, -2 Phys. Limit for determining knockdown) and the Securetech PPP stuff.  Then, with your Power Points I'd buy Combat Sense.  +1 defense will benefit you more than +1 armor, especially with your already high REA + INT.  Normally I'd say Improved Reflexes 3 is overkill at chargen, but this character is the kind that needs to be overwhelming to make their role work.

I don't think "refuses to use weapons" is the kind of thing Distinctive Style is supposed to cover; generally if refers to visual cues that someone could use to describe you to an investigator.  "He was unarmed" won't help them find you in a crowd.  Talk to your GM if Code of Honor would work, as it's more along the lines of "an oath to not do X" that may fit.  Your GM may ask that it be more severe than just not using weapons, though.

The way you wrote your qualities is a little confusing...  But I assume that's Hero Lab, not you.  Like "Mystic Armor: Berserker" probably doesn't use a colon the same way "Distinctive Style: Refuses to use weapons" does.

I thought you got Knowledge Skills equal to (LOG + INT) x 2?  If so, you should have more.

I know it's not optimal, but neither is only have a motorcycle and credstick as your sole possessions. I just like to make these quirky things and the berserker spirit gives two free levels of it (which is what Hero Lab is trying to say). I suppose I could live on those two levels and put the extra points into combat sense...

You're probably right about the distinctive style but that's easy enough to change to "karate hobo"

The extra knowledge skill are in the three levels of English as a second language.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <03-12-18/2149:27> »
Ah, you're right.  My bad, then.  With that in mind...  I guess there's not much to say.  Berserker and your Way go a long way to kind of control what powers you can take/afford, so you're probably as optimized as you can get, keeping the character concept and your goals for the character in mind.

I'd still suggest gel packs in your jumpsuit, if you can afford them.  You won't feel the penalty with a Physical Limit of 12.  And if you do, you were dead anyways.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #4 on: <03-13-18/0300:46> »
Sigh Classic troll adept, all damage, no skill,  unarmed pool of 13 admittedly before going berserk (without martial art it's actually an 11). Regardless at the opening is a decent chance he could be blocked by a prof 1 ganger. Swap to shark, drop some mystic armor for improved ability (unarmed), and if your gonna use martial art put some maneuvers on the sheet. 

I do love the contradiction of spiritual way and berserk though.

But seriously Ways are terrible drop it and use the points for martial art maneuvers .
« Last Edit: <03-13-18/1330:54> by Marcus »
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Ogrepot

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-13-18/1337:04> »
I find especially strange the Spiritual Way that gives you for bonus a +1 to your Conjuring Skills....
I could understand for a Mystic Adept, but for a Physical Adept that by nature cannot Conjure....

Moreover Adept Ways reflect the Nature of the Adept, and yours doesn't seem like the very Spiritual type...
Check the Warrior Way.... seems more logical (or the Beast Way if you absolutly want the free Mentor Spirit Quality, and then go to Shark).

Or better still, forget about the Adept Way and just buy your Mentor Spirit for just 5 karma and use the remaining 15 to something else.

Oh... I almost forgot, i so hate Log 1 characters.... well except from 1 player a long time ago that did effectively manage to play someone really really dumb at the table.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-13-18/1956:15> »
Drop Mystic Armor, and dial back to Improved Reflexes 2, swap to Shark Mentor, pick up +3 Improved Skill Unarmed, +3 Improved Agility, punch Ninjas into orbit.