NEWS

(Probably) oneshot Razorgirl

• 4 Replies

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« on: <06-12-14/1727:01> »
So this weekend our local Missions-group is replaying a mission I've already played, which was a good reason for me to try out a new character archetype. Since I've never actually played a cybered character yet, I figured I'd give it a shot.

The idea is a now cybered up street urchin who uses her cyberarm as her main weapon. I gave her decent stats on str/agi and the like, first for limits and speed, second for backup purposes and third because low-agi/str wouldn't fit the image and backstory. As backup she has a rifle (which uses the average of both limbs, but that's still respectable). It's mainly a combat character, with some social skills and such added, but mostly to not be a hazard in social situation.

It doesn't have to be an excellently min-maxed character, for one because I probably won't play it much anyway, but I was wondering if people found some glaring mistakes or omissions, or have other remarks on the character.

So without further ado:

Yvette
Metatype: Human
B4 A5 R5(7) S4 W3 L2 I4 C3 E5
Damage track: 11P, 10S
Armor 21 (27 total soak)
Limits: Phys 8, Ment 4, Soc 4
Qualities:
  Indomitable (Physical)
  Moderate addiction to Novacoke, Mild allergy to Silver, Weak immune system
Active Skills:
  Computer 1
  Cybertechnology 1
  Etiquette 1
  Longarms 6 (Sniper Rifles +2)
  Negotiation 1
  Palming 4
  Perception 6
  Pilot Ground Craft 1
  Sneaking 4
  Unarmed Combat 6 (+1) (Cyber-implants +2)
  Athletics Group 2
Knowledge skills:
  English N
  Spanish 2
  Police Procedures 2
  Seattle Street Gangs 4
  Sprawl life 4
Augments: (1.55 essence left)
  Eyeware:
    Vision Enhancement 3
    Thermographic Vision (Alphaware)
    Flare Compensation (Alphaware)
    Smartlink (Alphaware)
  Audio Enhancement 3 (Alpha)
  Bone Lacing (Aluminium)
  Cyber Arm (Obvious)
    Agi 6(9), Str 6(9), Armor 3, Shock Hand, Spurs
  Datajack (Alphaware)
  Orthoskin 3
  Reflex Recorder (Unarmed Combat)
Weapons
  Remington 950
Armor
  Armor Jacket
  Helmet
Other gear
  Transys Avalon
  Medkit 6, Novacoke x2, Flashlight, Plastic restraints x10, Respirator 6, Survival kit
  Harley-Davidson Scorpion
  Horizon Flying Eye w/ Clearsight 6, Maneuvering 6, Stealth 6
Contacts
  Fixer C5, L2
  Street Doc C2, L2

Mundane gear isn't fully worked out (the 'ware should be, though) - I'm planning on looking through Run & Gun and such to see if there's better options, but basically decent armor and a legal rifle, plus other mundane stuff that might be helpful. Contacts aren't worked out either (as you can see), and I still have 4 karma and just over 20K nuyen to spend on things. But the main character idea is worked out.

In-combat, the character is pretty beefy, with an 18-dice main attack for 12P-2, and a ranged attack with 17 dice (even with averaged AGI) for 12P-3. Turns out, ranged weapons are actually much better with cyberarms; but meh, I want a cool bladed arm. The shock hand in the arm is basically because I didn't want to waste the 4 capacity, but a backup 9S stun option is actually sort of nice. And with 11 defense dice and 27 soak dice (probably a bit more after Run & Gun), survivability isn't too shabby either. Compared to my other character 11+3d6 init is quite the step back, but objectively it's pretty decent.

Out of combat, I'm less useful. I can scout if needed but I'm not terribly good at it, and my social skills are the bare minimum to be able to join in a conversation without making the entire team look bad. I could also be a backup driver. So not stellar, but I can do some things.

Anyone have any hints on obvious upgrades I missed, or glaring holes in my character I should patch up, or just plain things that could be done better? The core idea - an ex-ganger with a deadly cyberarm - is set in stone, but everything else is still up to change.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-16-14/1507:18> »
I guess it is kinda too late to reply but I found something odd.
First - you have no reflex enhancing cyberware listed here although you have reflexes  are 5(7); next - you cannot get 5 edge as a mundane human. It's either 5+1=6 (priority c) or 3+1=4 (priority d). You might also want to grab a shotgun for backup for middle to close distances, Defiance costs only 450 nuyen. You can buy contacts or glasses and transfer some of your eye mods there for some spare cash.
Cybertechnology skill seems a bit out of place though, you can easilly drop it and get a spec in sneaking instead.
Hope your weekend was fun!
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Absols

« Reply #2 on: <06-16-14/1605:35> »
you cannot get 5 edge as a mundane human. It's either 5+1=6 (priority c) or 3+1=4 (priority d).

Err...no, look at the metatype table again, humans start off with 2 in edge, not 1 like the other metatypes. Which means Prioraty D for a mundane human is 5 edge (2 + 3).

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-16-14/1611:26> »
I guess it is kinda too late to reply but I found something odd.
First - you have no reflex enhancing cyberware listed here although you have reflexes  are 5(7); next - you cannot get 5 edge as a mundane human. It's either 5+1=6 (priority c) or 3+1=4 (priority d). You might also want to grab a shotgun for backup for middle to close distances, Defiance costs only 450 nuyen. You can buy contacts or glasses and transfer some of your eye mods there for some spare cash.
Cybertechnology skill seems a bit out of place though, you can easilly drop it and get a spec in sneaking instead.
Hope your weekend was fun!
I didn't get to play, too little people showed up :(. Does mean that I get to refine it though; it's still my backup.

About your points:
  • It seems I accidentally left Synaptic Booster 2 off the list. I did buy it when building the character though (and it's on the charsheet).
  • Priority D humans have 2 base edge and 3 special attribute points, giving 5 total.
  • I thought about getting a shotgun. In mid to close range, though, I'd rather close into melee to cut things into little pieces. If I'm forced in a mid-range gunfight, the rifle should still perform quite well. And I don't imagine the character carrying a lot of guns. Still, worth a second thought (I have the spare nuyen anyway).
  • Speaking of Nuyen, the cybered eyes might be overdoing it a bit, but they're not actually that expensive (at least not the ones that I would swap to external) and I kinda liked the idea of having everything she needs to fight internal (with the gun being the obvious exception - but that's a backup anyway).
  • Cybertechnology is actually pretty much useless (the same more or less goes for computer). I got those two because A) I had nothing to spend the last bits of karma on and B) with all the cyber she'd have picked up some minor things to do emergency maintenance. I don't expect it to come up much. It's nice flavor though, and there's not really much I could buy for the karma (it's not from skill points, so buying a specialty would be way over budget - that was my first choice as well).

Meanwhile, I did shop around in Run and Gun. It has nice armors.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-16-14/1717:53> »
you cannot get 5 edge as a mundane human. It's either 5+1=6 (priority c) or 3+1=4 (priority d).

Err...no, look at the metatype table again, humans start off with 2 in edge, not 1 like the other metatypes. Which means Prioraty D for a mundane human is 5 edge (2 + 3).
Derp. You are right. Now I feel stupid.

Top Dog:
Sorry to hear about that game.
Cybertechnology really adds to the character just like you said, but have you considered picking up a point in First Aid? You know, that girl sure is a fighter and they learn to stitch themselves up eventually. I mean not only the shiny bits  :)
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*