NEWS

Combining Foci for Summoning...

• 19 Replies

Jonny Reload

• Newb
  • The guns go PEW PEW PEW!
« on: <09-09-10/0535:59> »
I just wanted to double check since I'm not finding anything in any of the books and with making a new character I wanted to make sure I've got everything in working order. Can you get the bonuses from both a Power Foci and Summoning Foci when Summoning a Spirit, or is it only the highest bonus?

If I have a Force 6 Summoning Focus and a Force 6 Power Focus, do I get a +12 to my summoning dice?

(And no I'm not starting out with this stuff, it's just what I'd make as a goal to acquire in the long term with him  ;D)
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."
-Agent Smith from The Matrix

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-09-10/0541:07> »
Only one focus applies.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #2 on: <09-09-10/0601:00> »
To be more helpfull???

P. 199 SR4a under bonding for foci it states:

Reguardless of the number of foci a magician may possess, only one focus may add its force to any single dice pool.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-09-10/0650:41> »
To be more helpfull???

P. 199 SR4a under bonding for foci it states:

Reguardless of the number of foci a magician may possess, only one focus may add its force to any single dice pool.
Thanks for the quote! I had a feeling I missed something.  ;)
"Do you hear that Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability... That is the sound of your death."

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-09-10/0729:33> »
Maybe a new lack in the rules : I found nothin about how this limit applies to stacked foci in street magic.
So, by the rule, nothin says you really can't stack these two foci in one, and then get the +12 dices.
Me am french, me am not speaking good english, but me am trying to correct this.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-09-10/0812:47> »
Stacked foci I believe are still counted as single items but I could be wrong on that need to check the books
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-09-10/0834:27> »
Guys, Casazil just posted the book and page reference for the clarification... Come on  ::)

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-09-10/0847:52> »
Well, if you find somethin in the posted clarification that definitely says if stacked focus (p.84 street magic) must or must not be considered as two separate foci reguarding the bonii granted, please could you explain it ? because I don't get it.
I guess it does count as two separate foci, but I can't prove it, and I wouldn't find it really unbalanced if it doesn't, reguarding the guy with a power 6 plus summoning 6 stacked focus will pay more than the same with a summoning 12 focus.

EDIT : I can't either find how stacked focii count in the max foci a mage can bind or activate.
« Last Edit: <09-09-10/0856:31> by anotherJack »

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-09-10/0911:30> »
Guys, Casazil just posted the book and page reference for the clarification... Come on  ::)

As I said I'm away from books at the moment and just commented on what I think it is. If no one has put up something more solid when i get back to books I'll see what i can find.
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <09-09-10/0912:04> »
anotherJack: Stacked Foci is a method allowed to work around the "You cannot have more active foci then your Logic rating" rule. Basically taking 2 Sustaining Foci that are let's say a 4 and a 2, and combining them to make a Force 6 Foci.

anotherJack

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-09-10/0920:22> »
Not sure you can stack foci of the same type : "It is possible to combine two or more types of foci into a “stacked” focus."
So you can stack a Summoning and a Spell foci, maybe even two Summoning foci if they do not apply to te same spirit's type, but two sustaining foci ?

Jonny Reload

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-10/0945:18> »
Granted, the rules are ridiculously vague, but it doesn't say you CAN'T do 2 of the same. Who knows, maybe one day they'll get around to putting out some more errata for Shadowrun.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #12 on: <09-09-10/1025:30> »
I agree, the Street Magic rules for Stacking Foci are a little too vague. Does this mean that a Power 1/Summoning 6 Stacked Focus is effectively rating 7? That makes makes it very cheap Karma (32 instead of 56) to get a Power boost...

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #13 on: <09-09-10/1048:13> »
I don't think so... remind me to check my german version when I get home in 2 hours, I think they worked in some errata stuff.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-10/1750:36> »
As a point it is usually stated the latest printing of rules superceeds old rules to which Street magic is older than the new SR4a
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/