NEWS

Attune Item

• 13 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <01-21-19/1511:43> »
The rules concerning Adepts and Attune Item baffles me and are not very clearly explained in any examples in SR5 or SG.

If I understand it correctly I need to buy the Attune Item Ritual once for 5 Karma.

Then I make an extended test to familiarize myself with the weapon.

Then comes the weird bit about bonding through the ritual, but no real tests are mentioned, so I'm assuming that just happens (?)

Then I pay Karma per the Attunement Table, say 5 for example.

I've now paid 10 Karma to raise my Accuracy with this weapon by my Initiate rating. Is that right...?

Also, I've been assuming I can Attune any weapon, including Knucks?

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-19/1058:37> »
No one who can provide a step-by-step procedure in laymans terms?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-19/1455:48> »
Yes, 5 Karma to buy the ritual
Either familiarize yourself or build a weapon from scratch
Then you roll the items Object Resistance and note the hits. That's how high the force of your ritual has to be.
Now you need to perform the ritual according to the rules in Core p. 296 in a (temporary) lodge.
Then you roll again either the technical skill or the amorer skill as substitute for the Ritual Magic skill, opposed by Force x2. You take drain equal to hits of hits x2 (you can spend reagents to reduce drain)
After that you pay the Karma for your item - and you are done.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adzling

« Reply #3 on: <01-25-19/1517:16> »
At only 0.25 pp per Increase Accuracy rating it's probably cheaper to just use your PP (or a QI foci) to get Increased Accuracy: Automatics (or whatever relevant weapon).

These bonuses apply to all weapons in that category whereas attuning only applies to that one weapon.

Really I can't see any time its worth it to attune a weapon rather than take the adept power.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-25-19/1640:09> »
Attune Item is the basis for Imbue Item which has some nice traits (imbued traits p.132 SG) - especially Respect and Perceptive are pretty nice

Also, you can't stack ENHANCED ACCURACY more than once, Attune Item increases with your initiate grade.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #5 on: <01-25-19/1645:16> »
Couple point as to why, it does stack. So if you want take a really inaccurate weapon and make it usable this can work. Next attunement works on stuff that's not normally covered by anything else. Including living animals, a car, a deck, a musical instrument, lots of things that are generally outside the purview of Foci.

Finally an attuned item isn't going to be subject and mana shenanigans. So it's one of the few things adepts have that outside the background problems.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <01-25-19/1653:12> »
Good points both of you.

thanks.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-26-19/0352:29> »
So I'm trying to attune a pair of vintage brass knucks since I'm playing a brawler. It's more for roleplay and less for powergaming, so I think it would be a cool thing to do. In terms of getting more benefit from using PPs to increase skill etc. I think there are better powers to use those valuable points on. Considering it's not realistic Initiating beyond 6 (starting magic rating) those points come at a premium.

But it sounds like I'd have to be an expert armorer or something to make this happen, which is not at all in my characters nature. But he does have a Rigger buddy, so maybe you can do this with the help of some friends?

It's kinda pricey, but the more you Initiate the greater the long term benefit. I'm assuming here that since Knucks use Physical Limit it would just be a boost to that when using Knucks.

adzling

« Reply #8 on: <01-26-19/1110:40> »
if the weapon has no accuracy you cannot increase it.

so knucks are out afaik.

also the person attuning the item has to do the armorer (or artisan for things that aren't weapons) test.

really you should be able to pull it off with 1 rank in the relevant skill and some drugs/ increase attribute spell.

assuming your attribute is 3 or more.

if you logic is 1 your likely hosed.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-26-19/1248:16> »
It doesn't make sense to me that you have to basically be a mechanic to perform a magic ritual. As a marital artist, you get to know your gear, but you don't have to know how it's made to be able to use it. That's just counter intuitive. I think we're gonna make some house rules on that.

Thanks for the input anyway.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <01-26-19/1255:47> »
rank 1 in armorer costs 2 karma (1 if you have JoaT).

it's hardly worth changing the rules over.

The idea is that you are intimately familiar with the weapon (the whole idea behind attunement), so removing that requirement basically removes all rational for it's existence.

Regardless, it's your table to do what you like ;-)

gluck!

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-26-19/1330:13> »
If it helps clear things up. It is an aspect of the Adept Ritual that allows an adept to substitute a skill for the Ritual Spellcasting skill. RickDeckard, you are right, it is somewhat odd that a non-magic skill is being used instead of a magic skill. But an adept cannot normally learn Ritual Spellcasting at all. The idea is that the Adept is able to perform the ritual through sheer expertise and knowledge about the item that they are attuning.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <01-26-19/1405:32> »
Yeah, thanks guys, it all makes sense now. I will, however, argue that Knucks are fine to attune as they are a weapon. Just because they their accuracy = physical limit doesn't mean they don't have an accuracy. It just happens to = your physical limit, but it's still an acc rating. I don't see why they would be worth less than, say, a knife just because they're based on your unarmed skill and acc = physical limit. That would make Unarmed Combat non-viable as a primary combat skill.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #13 on: <01-26-19/1458:02> »
Deckard, what folks are telling you, is odds are adding accuracy at top plimit isnt going to do anything for you. You will be wasting resources to no effect. The objects aren't foci they won't dmg spirits, your plimit will probably be high not to curb your successes. You will get nothing out of it very likely. Knucks are dead easy to enchant there just funny shaped peices of metal.  You want your character knucks great put those resources into knick weapon focus and be done. Other wise getting killing hands and be happy.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking