NEWS

Foci - Physical Damage from Astral

• 5 Replies

spuwdsda

• Chummer
« on: <11-24-13/0924:25> »

It is not clear if active foci can be physically damaged from astral space - or just disrupted. 

Zar

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <01-30-14/1612:45> »
I would say no.  If an Adept didn't have a way to perceive astral they would not be able to defend themselves.  I don't even know if I would allow disrupting a Weapon Focus from Astral Space either.  Stuff like that costs the players karma.

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-30-14/1621:15> »
I would say no.  If an Adept didn't have a way to perceive astral they would not be able to defend themselves.  I don't even know if I would allow disrupting a Weapon Focus from Astral Space either.  Stuff like that costs the players karma.

So do quickened spells, and those get disrupted all the time. If it's active, it's dual natured, so it can be targeted from astral.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <01-31-14/0043:21> »
Sad but true.  Mana spells specifically mention foci as being able to be targeted by them and foci are stated to have an astral form when active (which is why weapon foci can hit spirits and projecting mages at all).

That's pretty jank, but there's no interpretation of the rules where it isn't how it works.  I could see houseruling it...  Since I honestly couldn't see a situation where an astrally-projecting mage is aware of an adept with an active weapon foci that they know is the enemy and not trying to disable that, since the adept can't do shit in return.

With an assensing roll you could know the target has an active Weapon Foci and no active spells on themselves or other foci...  Then you just manabolt the foci to hell while floating 90 feet above the ground so the adept can't hit you with it even if they have Astral Perception.

I guess though, this situation is to awakened as street samurai and hackers are to mundanes.  Get your buddy mage to be watching the astral and have them to blow up any projecting awakened trying to kill your foci.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

ImaginalDisc

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-31-14/1841:03> »
Sad but true.  Mana spells specifically mention foci as being able to be targeted by them and foci are stated to have an astral form when active (which is why weapon foci can hit spirits and projecting mages at all).
It fits the themes of Shadowrun. Nothing is safe, nothing is sacred, anything can be taken from you.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-31-14/2115:39> »
There's only 3 Mana spells that deal Physical damage, though, so they're not super common. That reminds me, though: what are the stats of foci for soaking damage?