NEWS

So, apparently, Osama Bin Laden has been shot and killed in a US military operat

• 58 Replies

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <05-04-11/2032:48> »
Yea the Pakistanis definitely are swimming in egg this week.

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #46 on: <05-04-11/2132:51> »
That's the weird part to me.  Either they were completely cut out of this, or the State Department and White House only told the highest levels of their government and requested that they play dumb afterwards.

If they were asked to play dumb, it turns into a fake foreign relations disaster that builds an illusion of weakness where none exists.  That fake schism might be enough to lure out some of the AQ sympathizers within the ISI, the Pakistani government, and the Pakistani military.  Asking them to play dumb also allows them to avoid publicly collaborating with the US government in killing bin Ladin, which insulates the Pakistani government from some of the reprisal that they'd be at risk of were they to have been openly involved.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <05-04-11/2145:59> »
Or, you know, they didn't actually know until they were watching TV and the news broke with Obama going:  "Yeah, we iced Osama in Paki-Land.  Pop-Pop, two to the head!", with his hand turned sideways, two fingers out flicking his thumb gangsta style.  :P

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <05-05-11/0015:08> »
My personal take on this - The Pakistanis were deliberately kept out of the loop, if not completely then until the point where they couldn't do anything("Hey, it's the US - might want to keep your troops heads down in Attobad, nothing to worry about though just a training exercise". It's pretty much an open secret that the ISI have funneled aid to both AQ and the Taliban, there is no way I see us sharing intel with them. Something to consider - UBL's compound sat in a Antiair umbrella that gave him safety from UAVs (next to their version of West Point), something like that does not occur without someone(s) in the Pakistani government knowing about it.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #49 on: <05-05-11/0021:12> »
There's no (Unofficially) denying the corruption.  It's how high the corruption is that is the question.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #50 on: <05-05-11/1018:58> »
Yeah, but where could you stick him?

Gitmo.

I disagree, capture him and every AQ cell (and every other terrorist group wanting a name) starts eyeballing civilian targets for an attempt to force a hostage swap. Likely without much long term planning, meaning sloppy work and therefore more dangerous to those innocents involved than it would have been already.

It's lose-lose, but when was the last time you heard of a request for a hostage trade for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed? He's been in custody since '03, I haven't heard of anybody trying to negotiate for his release. Considering how many of al Queda's large scale attacks he is responsible for it does surprise me.

As for the rest of the replies...too close to politics for my comfort.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #51 on: <05-05-11/1133:12> »
Kinda heading into the politics end of things, guys. Let's not get this locked, ok?
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <05-05-11/1320:44> »
There's no (Unofficially) denying the corruption.  It's how high the corruption is that is the question.

Just watch Musharref on any news program, I think that's a good indication  ;D
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #53 on: <05-06-11/2025:59> »
Hey, if the Pakistani government was doing it's best to pretend they knew nothing about the operation, out of fear of public backlash, does that make them a good ally and a bad government (for their people)?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #54 on: <05-06-11/2129:29> »
Hey, if the Pakistani government was doing it's best to pretend they knew nothing about the operation, out of fear of public backlash, does that make them a good ally and a bad government (for their people)?

No. Id say that if you have to ask this question, you`ve sleeped while the world has changed...

Future existence of "National /Territorial states" is an empty idea...

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <05-06-11/2349:07> »
I'm not sure I quite understand.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #56 on: <05-07-11/0030:37> »
The idea of conventional wars is over, has been since Vietnam (Possibly earlier).  It's all about changing governments to what is friendly (Or at least supportive) to your own country and allies rather than conquering and ruling over other countries.

Hell, even the British Empire is the British Commonwealth now.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rockopolis

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <05-07-11/0724:53> »
I guess?  I was referring to the Pahkistani government aiding the United States, which seems to cheese off their citizens.

Jadehellbringer

• Global Moderator
  • Chummer
  • My crotch! I'm not supposed to... wait, what?
« Reply #58 on: <05-07-11/1038:32> »
OK... so since we're still discussing the politics of the situation, I think it's time to shut this down. It's an interesting discussion, and I would hope you all will continue it elsewhere, but the rules on real world politics are what they are, and the request to stay away from that end of things just isn't getting us anywhere.
Not to be demanding, but can you please point that Panther Assault Cannon somewhere other than my groin?