NEWS

Superthyroid gland

• 22 Replies

忍

« on: <11-11-18/1521:35> »
Aside from the 20r availability, is this actually useful? A +1 across the board sounds nice, but you also can't further augment them. Am I missing some niche application?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-11-18/1528:16> »
+1 to each of Body, Agility, Reaction, and Strength is pretty dang nice in of itself. Indirectly that's +1 to all your combat skills as well as +1 or +2 to your physical limit, plus a DV boost to your close combat damage.

And while it doesn't come in higher ratings, nothing stops it from stacking with other augmentations.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <11-11-18/1609:48> »
It used to be very restricted but they removed that. It stacks with everything now according to the Master Index
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <11-11-18/1613:33> »
+1 bonus to 4 physical stats for $140,000 and 0.70 essence. (Agility, Strength, Reaction, Body)

Muscle Toner   $32,000 and 0.2 (agility)
Muscle Aug     $31,000 and 0.2  (Strength)
Bone density   $5,000  and 0.3   (body)
$68,000 and 0.70 essence for 3 stats in basic bioware. There is nothing in the basic ware for Reaction, which means you have to jump to cultured ware.
Which would be the synaptic booster.

$95,000 and 0.5 essence for +1 reaction (AND +1 initiative dice as well).

Which means a total of 1.2 essence and $163,000 spent. but you would also gain +1 initiative dice; and lock you out of wired Reflexes and Reaction enhancers.

So, its not a bad piece of tech for what it gives you and what it can save you in terms of essence. (Remember the +4 cap to stats)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <11-11-18/1625:55> »
It finally stacks with everything? O_O Nice! Time to borrow the Master Index book from my brother, since it doesn't say so in the digital version. (All I have is that e.g. Muscle Toner says "This bioware is incompatible with augmentations that increase Agility" and SG simply says it gives +1 on those 4 attributes.)

Reaver, 1 note: Bone Density doesn't actually give Body. It just adds a bonus to Body for damage resistance tests. SG is the only augmentation I know that actually increases Body.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-11-18/1835:58> »
It finally stacks with everything? O_O Nice! Time to borrow the Master Index book from my brother, since it doesn't say so in the digital version. (All I have is that e.g. Muscle Toner says "This bioware is incompatible with augmentations that increase Agility" and SG simply says it gives +1 on those 4 attributes.)

Reaver, 1 note: Bone Density doesn't actually give Body. It just adds a bonus to Body for damage resistance tests. SG is the only augmentation I know that actually increases Body.

That's what I get for keyword searching and not actually READING around the keywords. :(

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <11-11-18/1943:12> »
Suprathyroid gland: Placed on top of your existing thyroid gland, the suprathyroid gland supersedes the met- abolic functions of your thyroid. The enhanced metabolism produces more energy, supercharging you. While you’re supercharged, you might want to supersize—to fuel your optimized metabolism, you’ll need to eat twice as much as normal. You get a +1 to your Agility, Body, Reaction, and Strength, along with a 25 percent boost in lifestyle costs. And you might get a bit hyperactive.

The above is from the latest PDF of the Master Index p. 459

&#24525;

« Reply #7 on: <11-12-18/0115:03> »
+1 to each of Body, Agility, Reaction, and Strength is pretty dang nice in of itself. Indirectly that's +1 to all your combat skills as well as +1 or +2 to your physical limit, plus a DV boost to your close combat damage.

And while it doesn't come in higher ratings, nothing stops it from stacking with other augmentations.
Other ware is often incompatible with not-itself.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <11-12-18/0120:47> »
Yeah, so I guess it still doesn't stack with the Muscle and Reaction ware. :< So I guess it still only combines with Spells/Powers/Drugs, which is what incredibly devaluates its worth.

Oh wait: Muscle Replacement. So the Gland is mostly useful to Muscle Replacement peeps who depend on drugs/Edge for Initiative.
https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12497.0

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-12-18/0151:00> »
If something doesn't say it has an exception, it doesn't have an exception?

Synthacardium gives no exceptions, so it should stack with anything (that doesn't itself have an exception that prevents it from stacking with the synthacardium, at least).  Of course since it doesn't give itself an exception to the universal limit of +4 bonus per stat from augmentations, so that still applies.
« Last Edit: <11-12-18/0156:27> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-12-18/0551:41> »
Of course since it doesn't give itself an exception to the universal limit of +4 bonus per stat from augmentations, so that still applies.

To my knowledge, the ONLY time the +4 limit doesn't apply is with WR and RE. That is the only combo that specifically mentions it breaks the limit.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-12-18/0613:07> »
Everything is subject to that limit UNLESS it’s stated.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #12 on: <11-12-18/0724:06> »
If something doesn't say it has an exception, it doesn't have an exception?

Synthacardium gives no exceptions, so it should stack with anything (that doesn't itself have an exception that prevents it from stacking with the synthacardium, at least).  Of course since it doesn't give itself an exception to the universal limit of +4 bonus per stat from augmentations, so that still applies.
Unfortunately most says they don't stack based on attribute. Muscle Toner says it doesn't stack with other boosts to Agility. Same for MA and Strength, SB/RE/WR and Reaction. THAT is what makes it worthless: The only Str/Rea/Agi ware it stacks with is Muscle Replacement.
« Last Edit: <11-12-18/0834:01> by Michael Chandra »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <11-12-18/0859:31> »
Of course since it doesn't give itself an exception to the universal limit of +4 bonus per stat from augmentations, so that still applies.

To my knowledge, the ONLY time the +4 limit doesn't apply is with WR and RE. That is the only combo that specifically mentions it breaks the limit.
Drugs break the +4 limit.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <11-12-18/0915:23> »
They do not. Where is that written?