NEWS

Broken Eggs

• 30 Replies

Forged

• Newb
« on: <02-01-12/1449:39> »
Hello! I'm going to be running a play by post shadow run game. I'm looking for 3-5 players for now. Once the primary section is done I want to open up the game to have a rotating roster of characters/players/GMs. I am fairly new to play by post games, so expect 1-2 posts a week. The "Theme" is surviving at the bottom. I want to run a story about the little guys trying to get by. This is my first play by post game as a GM. So expect some bumps.

The Game is taking place in Seattle
It will be a 400 BP game with free contacts points = Chax2
I don't want minmaxed characters, and inefficient characters are welcome.
WAR is banned, (plus I don't have it) Augmentation, unwired, Street magic, Runners companion, arsenal still good to go.
Character creation will be done AFTER I have selected players.
For the purposes of character creation, I am giving the TEAM (Players x 1.5)+1 snowflake points. (SP's) and the players must agree how to divvy up the points. I'm sorry if this seems unfair, but In RL I'm tired of running games with everyone being a unique snowflake.

Human = 0 SP
Elf, Dwarf, Orc = 1 SP
Troll = 2SP
Changeling or Metavarient = 3SP
Any other Race = 4SP
Mage or Adept = 2 SP
Mystic Adept or Technomancer = 3SP
Any cyber or bioware better than standard = 1SP
Any nanites or implants not covered yet = 2SP
From Seattle = 0SP
From elsewhere, been living here min 1 year, = 1 SP
Recently arrived to Seattle = 2 SP
Karma to spend after character creation: 1 SP = 10 Karma, 2SP = 15 Karma, 3 SP = 20 Karma etc....

Also, do i need to make the IC and OC threads for this? or do I get a mod to do it.

I cannot wait to play!

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
  • The idea is to die young as late as possible -A.M.
« Reply #1 on: <02-01-12/1510:06> »
A game is fun, if you want "average Joe" characters first suggestion is to go with Karmagen. This way you can avoid this SP principle, as  2 Karma is much more valuable as a BP.
Might Make a char, but will see what exactly you are looking for.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best and expect nothing!
Matrix;speaking;thinking;ExternalSourcesLink
RainDragonBar

Forged

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-01-12/1516:05> »
I'll admit I put the SP for karma in the end because last time I ran a game, somebody decided they anted to be the grizzled veteran. If the rate seems too generous for Shadowrun I can adjust it.

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-01-12/1534:03> »
I'll admit I put the SP for karma in the end because last time I ran a game, somebody decided they anted to be the grizzled veteran. If the rate seems too generous for Shadowrun I can adjust it.
I meant the Karmagen makes more average character then BPGen.
sorry for being to vague.
RainDragonBar

Lethe

• Omae
  • Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
« Reply #4 on: <02-01-12/1616:57> »
How about i use all the SP to make a vampire mage, then bite the other players to make them vampires for free, saving each of them 100BP :P
If we all are the same, no one is special ...

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #5 on: <02-01-12/1738:08> »
Honestly? Why not let people play what they want to play? If it isn't broken or overpowered, then what's wrong with it, so long as you aren't a troll in a group of Humanis supporters?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-01-12/1739:03> »
Honestly? Why not let people play what they want to play? If it isn't broken or overpowered, then what's wrong with it, so long as you aren't a troll in a group of Humanis supporters?
This might actually be a fun RP concept  ;D
RainDragonBar

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #7 on: <02-02-12/0512:07> »

Not the right place for this discussion IMO. Well it seems lately that there is lot of GMs who thing that restrictions on the team and character buildind will provide them with good RP characters...which is LOL. As I would be interrested in the run, this restrictive policy means closed doors I dont want to open...
And this forced characters...IDN...you can as well post: Everyone can take one Sample character from rules. No other characters are available. We will play a bunch of archetypes and everyone is happy :P

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <02-02-12/0512:38> »
Exactly. The snowflake system is the wrong approach. You as a GM will have last words on characters anyway.

With SPs you can only prevent too many extravagant character combinations, even though they might be played quite normal. But you can't prevent snowflaking by roleplaying. Every character in your group is or should be considered a special snowflake, even if they are just norms. They deserve a special care and individual attention and recognition for what they are and what they do. For that it doesn't matter what kind of character they created.

If you have some kind of special characters for the players in mind, tell them which roles to fill. Declare the general settings of the campaign, tell them they should all be human, better no magic at all etc., whatever you have in mind. The SP system, where theoretically everything is possible, suggest that it doesn't matter for the campaign. So why bother at all?

Edit: sniped by sichr, with basically same content, lol ;)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <02-02-12/0654:56> »
Well lets not make this some kind of Hate Show for newbies...
Forged just came to forums, and want to run his game, and possibly he will stay in touch with forums to create awesome campaign. Just my opinion...restricting team is useless. In PbP there is much more space...and pressure, on roleplay, so there is place to shine for every character regardless the dicepools.m And forcing metahuman/awakened/emerged/mundane mix with some system...not good IMO.

Kouryuu

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-02-12/0737:08> »
No hate from me, at least,
his Approach of making a game is interesting
just suggested to take a look at Karmagen, as the small addict i am.

And Forged, If you ever need something, just ask, we are here to help, at least me
RainDragonBar

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-02-12/0808:13> »
Yea, i hope you are not offended by some well meant criticism.
I totally support and understand your restrictions to the main rulebooks as well as the demand not to minmax - just not the SP.

Introduce your campaign settings and tell the people to make some normal chars that fit in there. Give a list of restrictions for stuff that definitely doesn't fit and discuss the other character ideas with the players. That list should not only include some character options, but also lots of (negative) qualities, which can make a character very flaky.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <02-02-12/0905:35> »
Otherwise...what the hell does the "snowflake" means? Something like Mary Sue?

Lethe

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-02-12/0911:39> »
Otherwise...what the hell does the "snowflake" means? Something like Mary Sue?
this thread might give some idea about it.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-02-12/1136:31> »
Yea, i hope you are not offended by some well meant criticism.
I totally support and understand your restrictions to the main rulebooks as well as the demand not to minmax - just not the SP.

Introduce your campaign settings and tell the people to make some normal chars that fit in there. Give a list of restrictions for stuff that definitely doesn't fit and discuss the other character ideas with the players. That list should not only include some character options, but also lots of (negative) qualities, which can make a character very flaky.

Welcome to the forums Forge, however, no offense, I may have been interested, but once seeing the restrictions--the continued unnecessary Haterade on the War! book as well as this stuff that is basically making it a pain in the hoop to be anything remotely interesting--sorry no way would I even consider a game THAT restrictive. Restrictions of that nature only serve the fun of the GM--at the expense of the players' fun.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen