NEWS

SRM Combined FAQ v1.1 Discussion

• 64 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <07-30-18/1628:10> »
The only example that contradicts Logic for remote operation as pertaining specifically to drones is a mention in a completely unrelated rule (command device). The rules for drones and riggers never points to this rule.

The idea that there is a "blanket rule" that Gunnery is always Agility-based is inherently flawed. It is an Agility-linked skill, but the rules are quite clear that that does not mean you always use that attribute. There are many examples of skills that don't use their linked attribute, Computers and Gymnastics for example have situations where you never use the linked attributes (Matrix Perception and Climbing respectively).

Saying that the example in Command Device is a proof of anything would be like saying the rule for area-effect defense penalty is proof of a rule change for grenades.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #16 on: <07-30-18/1807:58> »
Just, FYI, there's a thread where this is being hashed out.  THIS thread is for discussion of what made it into the SRM FAQ, not what (as Lewis Greywulf pointed out) didn't.

Please keep it 'on topic' thanks!
That's just like... your opinion, man.

Izork95

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <08-27-18/1202:19> »
I’m playing a technomancer and noticed something when reviewing the matrix rules for noise in SR5 core.

Per Pg 421 under wireless bonus it notes that if there is a noise rating higher than an items device rating the item loses its wireless functionality.

Per the SRM FAQ:
“Is it possible to run a Direct Connection between Device A (wireless off) and Device B (wireless on) and still receive Wireless Bonuses on Device A?

No. An individual item must be wirelessly enabled and have access to the Matrix to gain the wireless bonus.”

This implies that linking something to your PAN isn’t good enough for it to inherit noise reduction or gain wireless bonuses.  (Please correct me if I’m wrong).

Also on page 421 the Device Rating chart it notes that normal cyber ware (And Residential security devices, standard personal electronics, and vehicles) are DR 2, and alphaware is DR 3.  RAW this means that no one in neotokyo has wireless functionality on their standard vehicles, consumer electronics, cyberware, or home security system.  Since you can’t install common cyber programs on commlinks (such as signal scrub for that -2 noise) or use your noise reduction for items on your pan (seeing how noise > device rating turns off wireless and you cannot receive a wireless bonus without wireless on)how does society function?

Unrelated: For the love of all things holy why can’t we install “common” cyber programs on commlinks (at least it’s not possible per hero lab, please correct me if I’m wrong)
-Kyle
Characters:
Can’Di’thu’fara’He’ma’thu’ri (Candi pirates of Pizazz)
Sergie Andropov (trolling thunder)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <08-27-18/1312:55> »
Because Cyberprograms are only for Decks and RCCs. You want Apps for Commlinks.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <08-27-18/1403:21> »
Unrelated: For the love of all things holy why can’t we install “common” cyber programs on commlinks (at least it’s not possible per hero lab, please correct me if I’m wrong)

It's a Hero Lab issue.  I happen to use Chummer for my character sheets, and it very much supports throwing Signal Scrub and Browse on all my commlinks.

Because Cyberprograms are only for Decks and RCCs. You want Apps for Commlinks.

Citation?

I'm not finding anything that says programs can't run on Commlinks.  Certain ones should perhaps not work, but then again there's nothing I'm seeing in the rules of Shadowrun nor mathematics saying the +1 Attack from the Decryption Hacking program can't stack with a Commlink or RCC's 0 Attack value. 0+1=1 afterall.

EDIT: I'm a silly. I just realized you must have been talking about a Hero Lab fix.
EDIT EDIT: Nope, looks like an actual wrinkle in the rules to discuss.
« Last Edit: <08-27-18/1439:29> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <08-27-18/1431:19> »
Quote from: Core p221
A commlink is combination computer, smartphone,
media player, passport, wallet, credit card, Matrix browser,
chip reader, GPS navigator, digital camera, and portable
gaming device. And possibly a few other things, if
you’ve got a really nice one. It’s got all of the necessary
software already loaded, but unlike a cyberdeck it has no
space for cyberprograms or other hacking tools

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <08-27-18/1438:00> »
That's really interesting.  Because it's directly contradicted on the following pages in the "Living with a Commlink" section right after that passage:

Quote from: SR5, pg 223: Life with a Commlink
So where do you store all of the things you want to
keep? Pictures from your Aunt Edna’s wedding, credit
information, your SIN, every book and movie you’ve
bought, all the programs you might want to run—all of
it fits on your commlink
(or cyberdeck if you prefer). In
fact, every device on the Matrix has a massive amount
of storage space, unthinkable amounts by early 21st
century standards.

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #22 on: <08-27-18/1445:56> »
That's not a contradiction. That's simply confusing programs for [Cyber]Programs. It's confusing terminology, but not a contradiction, and it's a fact the first mention of Cyberprograms in the book is that they can't be run on commlinks. Commlinks can run some kinds of software, but Cyberprograms are designed for Cyberdecks, just like Data Trails enforces with their talk about the use of Common Cyberprograms. If you want something useful on a commlink, get Apps.

Izork95

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <08-27-18/1455:19> »
I look forward to reminding everyone that any commlink that costs less than $5,000 is currently offline whenever we’re in a commercial zone of neotokyo then. 
-Kyle
Characters:

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #24 on: <08-27-18/1459:39> »
Probably copy pasta from 4th. But the intent is clear no programs for commlinks
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <08-27-18/1501:59> »
There's opinions on 'Wireless functionality means wireless bonus functionality', which has as downside that Jammers wouldn't actually do what the book says they can do, and the example Noise ratings in the book are controversial. If we follow Chicago rules, the rules are 'if the Scene doesn't state the Noise, it's the default for the area' which for Chicago was 2 inside the walls and 0 outside. Anyone who GMed NT Missions know what the default Noise ratings are?

Izork95

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <08-27-18/1508:09> »
The default noise rating in NT is 2, which means the wireless bonus on all drones, vehicles, smart links, and standard grade cyber ware are all non-functional
-Kyle
Characters:

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #27 on: <08-27-18/1514:44> »
Huh? Since when do Drones, Vehicles, Smart Links and Standard Cyberware have Device Rating 1?

Izork95

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <08-27-18/1537:22> »
Ah just noticed greater than, not greater than or equal to.  So if you hit anything that’s noise rating 3 those things turn off.  (Aka 1 hit on EW to create noise)
-Kyle
Characters:

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <08-27-18/1619:04> »
There's no point really in discussing the effects of Noise right now... errata is supposed to be coming soon that re-addresses how noise/wireless/jamming works.

Of course I hope they're on track with getting that errata out on time... Neo-Tokyo begins this Saturday...