NEWS

[SR5] Datajack and Noise

• 21 Replies

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« on: <08-29-13/0645:50> »
Hoi!

The recent discussion of cybereyes in SR5 gave me an idea which raises a question:

Q: Do the wireless bonuses of multiple datajacks (Noise reduction 1) stack?

Thanks in advance!
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-29-13/0901:51> »
Man i hope so, go ask in the FAQ Thread. It'd be a Decker's dream come true.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-29-13/0908:55> »
and i like the concept of having multiple data jacks like back in the old days ;)

(but i don't think you are supposed to have more than one data jack in matrix 2.0 and i don't think the noise reduction will stack).

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-29-13/0917:12> »
I so wanted to find that screen shot from the first Ghost in the Shell film where we see the back of Motoko's neck has half a dozen "datajacks" so I could link it here.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #4 on: <08-29-13/1013:02> »
It probably doesn't stack, no.  There's still some reasons to have multiple though, mainly to be able to have a DNI to multiple objects at once that cannot be jammed.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

TheDarkMessiah

• Chummer
  • 'Sup?
« Reply #5 on: <08-29-13/1030:46> »
I so wanted to find that screen shot from the first Ghost in the Shell film where we see the back of Motoko's neck has half a dozen "datajacks" so I could link it here.

Good enough?
“Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who sticks his nose out-of-doors. The length of my life and the day of my death were fated long ago.”

Speech | Thought | Matrix | Astral

T-Hatchet

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <08-29-13/1057:33> »
Nice ^_^

I had completely forgotten about pasonafix chips until I saw that picture of the very dead geisha borg. I hope Shadowrun hackers can not forcibly upload and run those on someones skillwires... scarry

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-29-13/1145:19> »
It probably doesn't stack, no.  There's still some reasons to have multiple though, mainly to be able to have a DNI to multiple objects at once that cannot be jammed.
As long as you link your DNI wireless (normal) I see no reason to have multiple data jacks. And most items you would consider using a wire to connect have wireless bonuses that pretty much make it pointless anyway (such as smartguns).

Chrona

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-29-13/1228:14> »
Nice ^_^

I had completely forgotten about pasonafix chips until I saw that picture of the very dead geisha borg. I hope Shadowrun hackers can not forcibly upload and run those on someones skillwires... scarry

I'm pretty sure you can, especially if you get into their datajack and they have all the 'ware needed. Forcibly running personafix on people is a common plothook.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #9 on: <08-29-13/1520:34> »
Hell, forcibly running personafix is something I've seen PCs do before. Need a guy on the inside? Need to get past magical screens that would detect active spells? Personafix could give you a guy on the inside, easy.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Unahim

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-30-13/1006:12> »

A DNI is not a way of linking to a device, it is a command/interface method. You do not have DNI "to" something, you either have a  DNI (through a device that grants it) or you don't.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <08-30-13/1851:30> »

A DNI is not a way of linking to a device, it is a command/interface method. You do not have DNI "to" something, you either have a  DNI (through a device that grants it) or you don't.

The extra "cannot be jammed" part is what I was referring to being multiple.  I guess I said it wrong.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-30-13/2141:12> »
The extra "cannot be jammed" part is what I was referring to being multiple.  I guess I said it wrong.
Yes, if noise stack when you get multiple data jacks that are wireless ON then you can get so much noise reduction that you can not be jammed when sending mental commands. For example there was some talk about using a jammer to prevent wireless grenades from being detonated a few weeks ago.....

With enough data jacks it would also let you hack from the middle of a big desert on the other side of the world without having to worry about noise or public grids....

If being the operative word here. I don't think you would get stacked noise reduction by installing a second data jack.

Aaron

« Reply #13 on: <08-31-13/1008:28> »
I see no reason why a second data jack wouldn't offer extra signal scrubbing, and neither have any of the other freelancers I've asked. I figure you've bought the thing with Essence and nuyen, so knock yourself out.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #14 on: <08-31-13/1015:35> »
It gives you a Rating 1 noise reduction, one could easily argue that you cannot stack them for two reasons.
1: The Data passes through the Datajack, not multiple but just the one.
2: It gives you Rating 1 noise reduction, not +1 noise reduction. So with 2 active at the same time, you still only have Rating 1 noise reduction.

As for the abusive situation: With 10k nuyen and 1 essence someone could otherwise be pretty much completely immune to any kind of noise.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!