NEWS

Snapshots

• 25 Replies

Aria

• Ace Runner
« on: <03-14-12/1331:46> »
We unfortunately lost our GM for part of a pbp thread on the other forum, and as I want to continue to explore the runner team Balefire which I created for it, I’m hopefully going to be posting a series of short pieces of fiction here (I’m aiming at something like the entry fiction in the source books).  They will be a series of snapshots of their lives seen through the eyes of the principal character Silk (with perhaps the odd interlude to inject a different view point).  They should be self-contained but also build towards a bigger picture so please do yell if anything is confusing or seems to be missing!

I intend to offer glimpses of the metaplot from my Emerging series of pbp games, hints and clues rather than spoilers, and perhaps explore some aspects of the SR universe outside of the normal ‘run environment’.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions very welcome.  If there’s a particular scene you’d like to see I’m always open to new inspiration!

By way of some limited background material here are the links to the Balefire runners’ character sheets that are in varying stages of completeness:
<<Balefire Resources>>
<<Silk>>
<<Bale>>
<<Requiem>>
<<Riptide>>
<<Opium>>

EDIT: Here's the story in full, renamed: Freedom
« Last Edit: <08-01-12/0815:24> by Aria »
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-14-12/1332:22> »
Snapshot 1
[Sunday June 12th, 2072; Coffee Xtreme, University District, Downtown Seattle]

Her mind traced the patterns of the people moving through the coffee shop almost of its own volition.  She watched the ghostly after traces that tracked each and every movement, indelibly lodged in her mind’s eye even if she didn’t pay conscious attention to it all.  It was like those long exposure pictures of car headlights at night…each moment drawn out in a sweep of colour but also captured in minute details should she care to think back and analyse it all.

And it wasn’t just the visual clues that her magic tracked.  It was buzzing in here for a Sunday morning, the rare sunshine bringing people out in droves.  The smells of coffee, both the burnt acrid scent of Kaf and the richer aroma of real coffee, mixed with floral perfumes, slightly unwashed bodies and a host of other scents.  The air tasted of energy, the vigorous bustle of people desperately trying to have a good time.

And there she was again.  The weird kid, Summer.  She stood motionless amongst the all the movement, the patterns diverting around her.  Only her eyes followed Silk.  It was disturbing to be scrutinised like that, even if she knew that the technomancer was in theory friendly, or neutral at the least.  She wanted to blend in, be unnoticed, and someone was bound to remark eventually about her pint sized stalker.

Silk supressed a sigh as she accepted yet another transfer without a tip.  It wasn’t that she needed the money and she certainly didn’t begrudge the students holding on to their precious cash but her cover almost demanded that she complain about it to the other staff members later and she really didn’t have the energy.

She was still sore from the procedure and her new muscle fibres were taking some getting used to.  She found she had to reign herself in as she moved faster and more gracefully than before but hadn’t adjusted to the feel of them.  She had raised more than a few eyebrows when she had caught that falling stack of cups and the last thing she wanted to do was draw attention to herself.  All in all this was shaping up to be an interesting day and that curse would always be the bane of a shadowrunner, particularly one that relied on stealth and obfuscation.

Her body, and the magic inherent in it, itched to align itself with the pattern and help her to fade into obscurity.  Not for the first time Silk regretted taking a job in such a public place but in order to avoid questions about her real activities she needed a place to be in Seattle and this was the most flexible job she could find in keeping with her supposed role as a student.  Well, she was a student in reality but thoughts of her degree had been subsumed by her desire to find the truth about her mother’s death.

Damn Summer, and damn her interference.  Silk surreptitiously engaged her ‘link and dialled in the back door code that accessed her work ‘link, a customised Avalon, quietly resting in her apartment several blocks away.  The mesh opened before her and she fired up Herne.  Although the powers of the agent were severely diminished running through this connection it should be sufficient for this task.

A mental command through the trode net woven into her hair sent the powerful tool on its appointed mission

~Find the biological node of the entity Summer and send her the following message.  “I can’t talk here.  Meet me outside on my break.  You are drawing attention to yourself, and worse, to me.  Please leave before people notice.”~

With her back turned to the room she felt Summer get up and leave, noting the change in the feel of the air.  She dismissed her feelings of unease for now, she would interrogate the girl later, assuming she did try and contact her when she stopped for a break.  She returned to a rowdy group of male students who seemed more interested in her than the coffee, but that was the kind of attention she could deflect without undue concern.

A short time later, Silk meandered onto the Green outside the new Arts block.  The place was awash with students enjoying the warmth, playing games, reading, most interacting with the matrix despite the ephemeral beauty of the early summer day.   Of course an AR overlay would also wash out the litter blowing across the park and the grey tinge to the blighted grass.  She extended her senses, feeling the reverberation of the nearby traffic and the hum of human life.

And Summer was there, a point of stillness amongst the tumult.  In a teenager such calm was disturbing, although Silk sensed that it was the calm of imposed restraint rather than nature.  As Silk approached her she became animated, breaking into a smile that Silk felt was entirely warranted.  She spoke more gruffly than she had intended but something about her sparked a nerve

“You found me then?  I haven’t got long so what do you want?”  Summer’s response masked a shyness that lurked under the surface

“I needed to see you.  I have news…”

“About my Mum?” Silk broke in, her stomach clenching at the thought of finally getting something to go on

“No, I’m sorry, not that.  It’s about the missing people, the ones you were looking for.  I’ve seen them.”

“I… okay, but couldn’t you have sent me a data package?  Look, you know what I do, having attention drawn to me is the last thing I need.  Give me the info and I will pass it on to the others.  If there’s something we can do then you know we will help.  Hooding is an established tradition after all.”

“Oh, I know you’ll help.  I just wanted to see you, to see if it’s true”

“What’s true?”

“You’ll see” and she smiled coyly up at Silk.  Damn hackers, this one was almost as bad as Aria, and trying to follow her mercurial mind was impossible.

Silk paused in the door to her apartment, letting her mind subconsciously scrutinise the space for signs of an intruder.  Thankfully there were none and she felt her body immediately lose its tenseness as she returned to her sanctum.  She tossed her lightweight coat onto the worktop in the kitchenette and poured herself some water from the filter, not being about to trust her system to the crap they pumped in through the mains supply.

The place was spartan, bare of almost any decoration visible to the naked eye.  The AR display more than made up for this though and she let the images wash over her now that she was convinced she was alone.  A stunning vista of the Seattle skyline opened up before her, one that would never be visible from this cramped student block.  Diaphanous curtains wafted in an invisible breeze and the late evening sun struck across a cool marble floor.

Perfunctorily checking her messages in a window she allowed herself a moment to scan through the search material that her fetch had been winnowing off the matrix.  Still there was nothing that offered a clue about those harrowing events, over a year old now, and she began to despair of ever finding anything useful.  Aria had advised her not to give up hope, that all information was out there somewhere, but Silk suspected it was going to take more than luck to offer them any concrete leads.

The virtual Citadel game offered the perfect meeting place for a group of shadowrunners looking for a quiet location to be unobserved.  The VR game attracted so many different types that it would be all but impossible to track one small group.  In fact the place was so large, metaphorically speaking, and so real when run hot that they had even used some of the game worlds as training exercises before a run.

Silk’s icon was not her usual celtic maiden, she had chosen a medieval far-eastern beauty in diaphanous silks, more appropriate to the setting that were meeting in. 

Striding past the Gatekeeper she avoided the throngs in the gathering hall and went to a little used portal in a quiet corner.  Using the codes that Aria had provided them with she slipped through a seam in the wall and into the blistering heat and dusty sands of a desert plane.  Wind blasted rocks were stark against a violet sky, sculpted into impossible forms.  A vizier in heavy robes was waiting for her, Bale, and behind him she could see the others already here.

“I have some news…it looks like we have a location on our missing persons, now we just need to decide if we are going in…”

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #2 on: <04-08-12/2213:21> »
Very nice scenes, well done. Most of the links in the first post are busted, Balefire Resources was the only one that worked for me.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-10-12/1234:37> »
Thanks!

Sorry about the links...will try and fix that soon!  For now you can probably find most of them in my Archive of Adepts and the link is in my sig.

Chapter 2 is in progress...hopefully have it up soon.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-13-12/1223:02> »
Snapshot 2

[Tuesday June 14th, 2072; Approaching Elliot Avenue West, Downtown Seattle, from the Sound]

Her heart beat faster as the nightrunner crested another swell.  After the debacle in April on the Henry VIII she wasn’t keen on being on the open water again but they had agreed that this was the best approach to the target.  If all went well they would hopefully waltz out of the front door when they left.  Of course this was a shadowrun so the chances of that were slim, still they had planned for other eventualities.

The lights of Downtown were off to their right and she briefly allowed herself to feel the thrum of life from the sprawl.  She noted with interest that the looming bulk of the Arc, vast even at this distance, had more lights on that it had the previous time she was coming in from the west.  Perhaps the fear of the place was gradually receding and more was being occupied?  She vaguely wondered if the bitter memories of that time would ever truly fade, and along with it the new found fear of the technomancers.   She forcibly returned her attention to the dark shoreline ahead.

With a gentle scrape of the keel the nightrunner beached and the small team of runners dropped soundlessly into the wash.  Silk felt rather than saw their spread and only the pings on her tactical feed allowed her to locate the others as they moved, cloaked, up the beach and across the now abandoned parkland before the railway tracks.

The smell of brine lingered with her as she crouched in some withered vegetation to do a last check on her equipment.  She brushed her fingers lightly across her weapons, sensation only marginally reduced by the ultra-thin gloves she was wearing.  The two layers of chameleon coating did an interesting little dance as they reacted to one another before she synced them through her ‘link.  Hopefully she wouldn’t have to use them today.  Although her natural inclinations had been drummed out of her with the death of her mother, and reinforced by Requiem’s training, she still felt reluctance to deliberately attack another.  In particular she felt for the poor saps that they normally came up against in the course of their work; individuals who were trying to earn a living at the heartless beck and call of their corporate masters. 

Diagnostics run, tools checked and ready, the team ghosted across the intervening land to their target.  It was a four storey office building separated from the shore by the freight tracks that they crossed in sequence with the fast moving cargo trains.  The noise, even at this late hour, would add an additional level of security to their approach.  Their legwork suggested that on paper this was a low level facility for Sintec and that any resistance should be minimal…of course their other information courtesy of Fractal said that this would be anything but.  If their quarry were inside they would be well guarded.  Wards prevented an astral sweep so they were relying on a faded set of blueprints that would be verified by a radar sweep once they were on station.

Now for the most unnerving part of the operation, Silk unfurled the wing suit and felt the gentle tug as Bale’s magic boosted her into the air.  Her skin tingled as she rode the aerial currents towards the roof.  Her senses stretched to their maximum, she absorbed the patterns and let them guide her movements until she landed with a tiny scrunch of gravel.

The feed from the tiny drone ahead of her showed that the office below was clear.  The duct was impossibly small but no trouble for her enhanced body to deal with.  The fibre optic cable led back past her to the roof top providing a breach of the wifi protection that the corp had so carefully installed.
Her fingertips grazed the grille, testing for the minute vibrations that might indicate movement. 

<<Breach in 10. Control confirm, do you have the alarms offline?>>
<<Confirmed, breach when ready>>

With Riptide’s reassuring voice in her ears she eased the grille out and with a whispery slither dropped to the floor, her chameleon coated armour making her barely visible in the muted night time lighting.

She set the ultrawideband radar unit down on its tripod and engaged the sweep mode.  A rapid pass would hopefully go undetected and confirm the accuracy of their three dimensional model data.  She watched as the results plotted themselves on her AR overlay, discrepancies picked out in orange and living personnel highlighted in red…so Fractal’s intel had been correct, this place was much more significant than an office unit.

The wind raced in from the Sound through the cut out pane of polyglass along with a flurry of rain drops.  With Riptide in control of the alarm feeds to the security spider they had a window of opportunity to make their strike before they were detected.  The others lowered themselves down from the roof and cautiously swept their weapons around the room.  Silk glanced back from the doorway and slipped into the corridor past the motionless cleaning drone, the self-diagnostic light blinking where it had been put into a perpetual loop.

Taking point she moved at a smooth lope down the centre of the corridor away from the possibility of ricochets and to give her maximum time to respond to anyone stepping out of a side room.  Her AR overlay scanned ahead and behind with sub windows for the recon drones and the viewpoints of her fellow runners.

They were three minutes into the insertion and everything was quiet…perhaps too quiet.  No signs of wageslaves working late or any security staff.  It was almost as if this level was unoccupied…the serried ranks of corp cubicles standing forlorn in the dim blue light.

In the emergency stairwell Silk dispensed with the stairs and simply dropped down the well, trusting in her magic to see her safely down.  It was just as well she did as a security guard was heading back up the stairs and she caught a brief glimpse of his bemused face as he sensed the air movement beside him but failed to spot the illusive glimmer of the ruthenium working overtime to conceal Silk’s drop.

The guard turned away as her micro drone buzzed round the corner and she regretfully lined up the targeting reticule on his back and squeezed off a burst.  The gun coughed and the gel rounds slammed into his back and hurled him forwards.  Requiem, making a more conventional use of the stairs, eased the guard to the floor whilst slipping a tranq patch over his carotid to complete Silk’s handiwork.

<<One down. Start the countdown, we have two minutes to locate the package.>>

It was immediately obvious that this was the floor they needed to be on.  Gone was the energy saving lighting, everything was bright and sterile, and on the third floor rather than the stereotypical underground lair.

Lab coated technicians looked up in surprise as the gas canisters bounced and rolled before beginning to hiss their intoxicating payload into the atmosphere.  With the aircon set to recycle it would fill this level within seconds.  One slightly more alert guard reached for a weapon and Bale executed him for his trouble.  Silk winced as the lethal rounds abruptly and prematurely ended his existence.  She briefly wondered who he was and whether anyone would miss him at the end of the shift…

<<Spider is on to me, I’m bugging out, virus propagating now – sever any connections to the on-site matrix>>  Riptide’s alert ensured that they intensified their efforts, and in the next room Silk stopped worrying about what the sec guard’s family might think…they had been doing the world a favour… 

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-13-12/1223:45> »
Hope you enjoy the cliffhanger!  Part 3 coming soon  ;D

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #6 on: <04-16-12/2200:30> »
I read it while listening to The Eagles and it was oddly fitting.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <04-20-12/1702:23> »
Very very good stuff. If you don't mind my asking, are you male or female?
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <04-20-12/1731:56> »
Male, although most of the characters I play are female, don't know why, certainly isn't because of any great insight :) 

Even being married, women are still mysteries, but perhaps that's the appeal :)

Glad you're enjoying it! More to come...
« Last Edit: <04-20-12/1752:14> by Aria »

Backgammon

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <04-22-12/1238:47> »
Interesting. There is just a touch of that ethereal female quality to your writing, but then also solid elements of how men guys usually write. Don't worry, I don't mean that you sound effete or anything! I think you're very lucky to be able to do that, it makes your writing very interesting. Looking forward to more!
My Shadowrun Pinterest collections: Landscape and Characters
My Shadowrun works

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <04-23-12/0814:30> »
 ;D

I'll try and keep the balance of action verses introspection!

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <04-26-12/1231:05> »
Snapshot 3

[Tuesday June 14th, 2072; Sintec Facility, Downtown Seattle]

The maglock was isolated from the system so Riptide had no access to it.  Silk crouched down and with a deft swipe of a laser cutter freed the cover plate to expose the delicate circuitry beyond.  Allowing her breathing to slow she extended her fingertips out, hovering them just above the guts of the machine.  She traced the patterns in her mind, discerning the necessary changes that would trigger the door to open.  With a flash of clarity she extended a microelectronics probe and with a flurry of movements that belied her stillness the door indicator changed to a steady green.

The air hissed out as the seals were broken, a waft of metallic gasses that had nothing to do with the narcotics they had pumped into the nearby rooms.  Although the lighting was bright Silk wasn’t concerned about being seen as she slunk down the short corridor.  Her suit would mask any thermal signature and the ruthenium polymers rendered her all but invisible.  A subtle change in the flooring warned her of a pressure sensor, presumably to activate the door ahead. 

Riptides warning about the system spider and alarm flashed across her vision and galvanised the team into speed over stealth.  Silk gestured for Requiem to come forward, his hardened military armour making him the obvious choice to barge into the unknown.  His wires allowed him to glide forward with unnatural grace, his own chameleon system blending into the hard white floor tiles and plastisol corridor walls.

They ghosted through, Requiem automatically peeling to left while Silk slipped to the right in a crouch.  They were on a raised balcony overlooking a lab on the floor below them.  Large pieces of air handling units and ductwork obscured their view but they could still see the sensory tanks and a glass enclosed operating theatre.  Silks augmented vision did her little favours here and she had to force down the desire to gag at the sights below them.

As she watched guards scrambling to stop their incursion she became aware of the lack of the typical blaze of wifi signals, her tactical network was frantically signalling that it had lost contact with the others as they entered the room.  She briefly regretted not having time to change to some more vindictive ammo before she gently squeezed the trigger of the smartgun and sent a flurry of sound suppressed fire towards their foes.  She made the mental switch after seeing what was happening below, these were no longer people just doing their jobs, now they were the enemy.

The staccato bark of Requiem’s rifle dropped two of their assailants in a welter of blood, the armour piercing rounds being far more effective than the gel rounds from Silk’s weapon.  As Bale joined them he too took a startled moment to take in the scene and then, what could be seen of his face locked in a rictus of anger and pain, he fired on the guards.  They took the hint and retreated back to seek better cover.

To cut them off Silk launcher herself into the air, did a flip to bring her feet back under her and landed neatly on the roof of the operating theatre.  The glass held, as she had suspected it would, and she found herself looking down into the acne covered face of the junior tech inside.  On the table behind him was a girl, somewhere in her mid-teens.  Silk’s facial recog flagged her as Emma, one of their targets who was taken in the raid on the Freedom hacker tribe.  Silk knew that she would remember the look on that girl’s face in many sleepless nights to come.  Her pallid shaved head had numerous surgical probes rammed into it and she appeared almost skeletal, wasted away under the barrage of Gods knew what tortures she had been subjected to.

Without any feeling of pity Silk drew her sidearm and fired through the glass at the tech.  The sabotted rounds were barely deflected by the transition through the glass.  At close range she witnessed the ruin of his hopes and dreams and couldn’t find it in herself to care… She would berate herself for her unprofessionalism later; he wasn’t a threat after all, and there were more pressing targets but she was filled with contempt for this corper and what he was doing to that poor girl…perhaps there were benefits to the detachment that Requiem had been trying to drum into her, she might not have forgotten herself for that brief moment…

A whirring sound made her jerk her head away from the grisly scene below her,

“Drone! Rail drone incoming!”  she yelled at the others, mentally cursing their reliance on tech to communicate urgent messages.  The intensive training they had been through however meant that they were in tune with one another, and although they probably couldn’t hear her through her respirator and over the sound of gunfire, they saw the threat almost as quickly as she did.

The runners scattered, Riptide retreating to guard their exit whilst Bale and Requiem split along either side of the gantry.  Requiem charged down the stairs towards the retreating guards, relying on his armour and concealment to foil their attempts to bring him down.  Bale stood tall and faced the drone.  Flinging an arm out he let rip a scintillating bar of light that shrieked as it super cooled the air it passed through.  The drone came to an abrupt halt and he was just turning away having killed it when the high velocity rounds spat from the underslung machine gun and stitched a pattern across the wall and then him.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <04-26-12/1231:39> »
I suspect the last snapshot is slightly less ephermal, but hopefully still enjoyable!

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #13 on: <04-27-12/0711:30> »
You can't stop with a cliffhanger, you evil man  ;)

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #14 on: <04-27-12/0802:19> »
Best place to stop  ;D

I think the links at the beginning of the thread should be working again now for anyone interested...