NEWS

[SR5] Can a decker (or a technomancer) spot a living persona (ie a TM)

• 5 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <03-06-18/1031:19> »
Hi,

I'm pretty sure it's hidden somewhere in the core rulebook, but I can't find it; If a decker or an other technomancer does a Matrix Perception roll and spot an Icon associated to a Persona, can she find out that it is a Living Persona ? I'm guessing not otherwise, technomancer will be far more easy to track down, but I maybe wrong.

Extension to that is the following question: if a technomancer is a room with an (unbeknownst to her) other technomancer, can she spot the Resonance action perform by the latter ? I guess, my question is probably "is there an equivalent to matrix perception for resonance?".

dragrubis

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <03-06-18/1125:27> »
That's one of the most clearest thing about 'mancers
you see the box page 235 to find what possible for deckers
and you add the text RESONANCE  SIGNATURES page 250 for 'mancers...

There is no real way to find if someone is a technomancer untill he use resonance (he is connected as a mancers) and you can detect it yourself (you are connected, are a mancers, and analyse him)...
« Last Edit: <03-06-18/1129:57> by dragrubis »

Pericles

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-06-18/1129:52> »
5 hits on an assensing test will do it. Obviously a TM couldn't do that, but a friend could.

Another alternative is if you knew something they'd just done, you could look for a resonance signature there.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #3 on: <03-06-18/1155:14> »
Nope, a decker cannot get a direct yes/no to whether someone is a technomancer--  That's kind of the point, a TM is not a registered, normal part of the matrix that can be easily recognized.  They are completely natural there, but are still in many ways an anomaly, and the matrix doesn't have set parameters for "can use resonance y/n" to be found on a TM's Living Persona with a simple Matrix Perception test.  A decker has to use context, which isn't always that difficult, or else see the TM do something that doesn't make sense with how the matrix is coded (like "compile" a sprite or use a CF that totally bypasses how the matrix has to do things) and assume it's the resonance.

One good way to tell is if the persona has no cyberprograms running.  A decker will always have some programs running, potentially more than their Device Rating.  There's no reason not to.  If you know a hacker never has any programs running, but who should know what they're doing, then that's a clue.  As well, I believe you could normally get what model the device you're looking at is--  Most devices have that kind of information available for advertising reasons, and decks would for tech support reasons too.  A TM will obviously give different information on that kind of thing, or else make it look like it was intentionally obscured.  Not enough on its own, but again it's about building context.

As for being recognized by another TM, there's resonance signatures as others have mentioned.  Keep in mind though, Matrix Perception is not reactionary like other perception tests can be.  The second TM wouldn't get an automatic test to see if they notice a resonance signature, they'd have to analyze the device the CF was used on or the host it was used in.  However the 2nd TM would probably just use Matrix Perception on the first TM at some point, and could find out that way (as TMs always have their own signature on themselves at all times).
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Pericles

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-06-18/1234:24> »

One good way to tell is if the persona has no cyberprograms running.  A decker will always have some programs running, potentially more than their Device Rating.  There's no reason not to.  If you know a hacker never has any programs running, but who should know what they're doing, then that's a clue. elves at all times).

Holy crap, I hadn't considered that.  That's a really good way to spot TMs.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #5 on: <03-06-18/1247:13> »
It's not foolproof, as a TM with the Resonance Program echo can have a program running.  But it's still unlikely to be anywhere near as many programs as their Device Rating, which is also something potentially much higher than any deck.  "I know what decks are available, and I know one with that kind of potential processing would have sky-piercings capabilities.  But your deck seems more like a tweaked middle-of-the-line type.  How'd you get that kind of performance out of it?"  <-- My awkward attempt to explain how "You have 6 Device Rating but none of your ASDF attributes exceed 7.  What?" sounds in-universe.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.