NEWS

[SR6] Riding though downtown during peak hours

• 18 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #15 on: <12-02-21/1439:15> »
You're still insisting on that a GM never uses a lowered threshold, though, and that people never mod their vehicles.

When I can't think of a situation in which I wouldn't lower the threshold values (because they seem pretty universally off), this reduces to "The rules give you permission to modify them as you see fit."  Which is I think should be called out as awful game development.  There was an opportunity to do something about it Double Clutch, but it wasn't really taken (although I've not taken a good look at the actual values in there, maybe it subtly lets you ignore the CRB?).  I will accept systems that are not particularly to my taste, but I'm very intolerant of the actual math not giving sensible results when you use the system as described.  If I ever have to run vehicles in 6e I'll houserule it, and it won't be very difficult, but given that they messed up numbers with vehicles in 5e it particularly irritates me that they again didn't think through the number in 6e.

So yes, I will point out the flaws every time that somebody has issues with this system, thanks.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-02-21/2157:55> »
I think the rules as written work just fine at doing whatcthey are meant to do. That is setting a realistic means and method of handling performing stunts and crash tests. However most people don't realize that per the rules as written you also don't have to apply those same rules to daily driving. Many many times there is no need to make any sort of roll at all so the rather extreme speed interval inconsistencies are moot. On top of that as MC keeps pointing out there is also the option for lowering "standard" thresholds for what you would consider "daily challenges" when a non-stunt situation arises.

I don't think anyone is making people roll for just driving. The point is when things come up you will almost always fail unless you are absurdly specialized. Do I make people roll to get from point A to B with no pressure of course not. Do I make people roll when they have to go from point A to point b in a storm while in a rush, yes. Just like I don't make people roll to just chat with people, I make them roll when they are trying to con someone.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <12-03-21/0814:22> »
I think the rules as written work just fine at doing whatcthey are meant to do. That is setting a realistic means and method of handling performing stunts and crash tests. However most people don't realize that per the rules as written you also don't have to apply those same rules to daily driving. Many many times there is no need to make any sort of roll at all so the rather extreme speed interval inconsistencies are moot. On top of that as MC keeps pointing out there is also the option for lowering "standard" thresholds for what you would consider "daily challenges" when a non-stunt situation arises.

I don't think anyone is making people roll for just driving. The point is when things come up you will almost always fail unless you are absurdly specialized. Do I make people roll to get from point A to B with no pressure of course not. Do I make people roll when they have to go from point A to point b in a storm while in a rush, yes. Just like I don't make people roll to just chat with people, I make them roll when they are trying to con someone.

Well there is certainly a huge disconnect somewhere... I've been using the 6E driving rules for a little over 4 years now and I have never had a player fail any kind of piloting check unless it was an extreme stunt or combat maneuver... even then they succeeded more often then they failed.
« Last Edit: <12-03-21/1441:02> by Banshee »
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <12-03-21/1440:04> »
... I have never had zero player fail ...
I think there might be a double negative in there ;-)

Ugh ... phone keyboard... corrected 🙂
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team