NEWS

Change blindness gathering thread

• 114 Replies

jman5000

• Newb
« Reply #60 on: <08-28-19/1541:25> »
OK.  potentially got another one.  Going to have to bear with me a bit to map this out..  otherwise, I don't think this "blindness" is obvious

in the Matrix section.
there is a write-up of commlinks under the devices section
also there is mention of cyberdeck in the same section - but the 2 devices are not described as needing to be grouped together.

the Personas and attributes section Describes ASDF, but does not indicate that as derived attributes A&S and D&F come from 2 different devices, or where ASDF come from (Eg. what devices provide these Attributes).

the cyberjack section does not indicate that this implant would replace the commlink, but I believe implied in the table on the next page showing the Attributes (D/F) for cyberjacks and commlinks

AR and DR is described using the Using the Matrix section - Distribute Edge - in that AR is Attack + Sleaze and DR is Data Processing and Firewall

The table on pg 177, lists different Cyberjacks, Commlinks and Cyberdecks that have an Attribute column.  Cyberjacks and Commlinks have D/F, while Cyberdecks have A/S

the "Matrix Attribute Adjustments Example" on pg 178 seem to indicate that Attributes can be arranged in whatever order the player wants (eg. Erika MCD-6 has A/S listed as 4/3, so Attack could be 4 and Sleaze 3, or Attack 3, Sleaze 4 - depending on how you want to use it..  I think).

OK, to the point.  The Blindness's, is IMO:
1) its never stated, but I think implied that you need both a commlink or cyberjack AND a cyberdeck to get the full Matrix Experience - but it's never said outright.
2) its never stated, but implied that your matrix attributes are changeable each time you enter the matrix, based on the attributes of your gear, and it never describes outright what gear provides what attribute
3) The table on page 177 lists attributes and abbreviates (D/F, and A/S), but does not actually explain this abbreviation or what this column means.  it's implied but you do need to reference several sections to figure it out.

all in all.  it took some serious page turning and cross referencing to (I think) understand how the "cyber" gear is supposed to fit together - but it sure feels like this is "obvious" knowledge that everyone playing SR knows :) hence the blindness thought.

Cheers,

J.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #61 on: <08-28-19/1546:35> »
Oh it gets worse. Under raw you could switch attributes freely such as grab that D/F high combo with low A/S and grab a high D and S instead. It's too messy for me to dare make a statement.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #62 on: <08-28-19/1631:51> »
There's certainly no reason a Leadership mechanic like 5e couldn't show up in a future 6we book.

But as is.. Leadership is a suggested specialization of Influence.  What Leadership does as of now is apply +2 skill ranks to your Influence skill test in whatever circumstances the GM agrees "Leadership" is a sensible fit for.  As FJ noted, it does exactly the same thing as Negotiation.

Personally, I never thought 5e needed both the Teamwork rules AND the Leadership rules.  And of the two, I thought Leadership was the one that was less necessary.  Because let's face it... all Leadership did was allow you to do a Teamwork test with someone without needing to know the skill yourself.

I'm trying to think of a situation where you're already "leading" a person and you need to influence them.  Unless this is to allow situations where you're roleplaying as a department manager and trying to get the most out of your employees...?

There's a common sense application to Negotiation, Con, etc - I'm trying to bargain with you, that's negotiate.  I'm lying to you, that's Con.  I'm trying to know how much to bribe a mafioso or corporate guard, that's etiquette.  These things can be inferred by the nature of the definition of the words.

Negotiation - discussion aimed at reaching an agreement.
Con - persuade (someone) to do or believe something, typically by use of a deception.
Etiquette - the customary code of polite behavior in society or among members of a particular profession or group.

I can infer the use of these skills with a quick Google search if I don't already know what they mean.

Leadership - the action of leading a group of people or an organization.

Basically any situation where I'm leading a group of people and it is the players at the table (aka I'm leading the Shadowrun team), that's roleplaying.  I suppose you could incorporate it into when asking an NPC who is hired to be part of your team to do something, but that takes a good portion of RP out of it - and a lot of times would fall under Negotiate (if you're being honest) or Con (if you're lying) to get them to do it.

5E leadership didn't take away from RP; in fact, you could include how well you did on your roll to compliment the RP.
The way some are implying leadership in 6E sounds like it would be used in place of RP almost entirely, or at least dictate HOW you would RP certain characters.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <08-28-19/1758:16> »
You can influence npcs to do things for you by lying to them (for example by fast talking or seducing which would be specializations under con), by pretending to be someone you are not (impersonation or acting which would also be specializations under con), by threatening them (the intimidate specialization under influence), by blending in and appear as if you belong (the etiquette specialization which is under influence) and by commanding them (the leadership specialization which is also located under influence).

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <08-29-19/0244:20> »
I don't think the book explains what DNI is anywhere or how it relates to AR and VR

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #65 on: <08-29-19/0247:31> »
Trodes mention they give you "DNI, or direct neural interface". Control Rig and Datajack mention they give it, page 17 explains it's merged with ASIST and SIM Module lists some devices that give you a DNI. But yeah, it's not really addressed.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #66 on: <08-29-19/0414:29> »
I don't think the book explains what DNI is anywhere or how it relates to AR and VR
:( This was crappy in 5e too. I think understanding exactly what a smartlink works and does involves half a dozen places in the book, across several chapters.

Do you need help with it, or do you know what it is and are just pointing the problem out?

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #67 on: <08-29-19/1117:48> »
You can influence npcs to do things for you by lying to them (for example by fast talking or seducing which would be specializations under con), by pretending to be someone you are not (impersonation or acting which would also be specializations under con), by threatening them (the intimidate specialization under influence), by blending in and appear as if you belong (the etiquette specialization which is under influence) and by commanding them (the leadership specialization which is also located under influence).

That kind of destroys the whole simplification of rules angle.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #68 on: <08-29-19/1123:37> »
Not really. You don't NEED the specialization normally. But if you have it you get extra dice.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <08-29-19/1134:22> »
Feel free to delete this post if it's been mentioned already -
This may be change blindness - many qualities that for as long as I can remember required the character to have a Magic attribute or Resonance attribute now no longer require it, which can be exploity in some cases:
Mentor Spirit
Spirit/Sprite Affinity
Spirit/Sprite Bane
Astral Chameleon
Astral Beacon

Out of these, Spirit/Sprite Bane are the exploity ones because the 12 point boost is massive compared to the downside for a mundane.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #70 on: <08-29-19/1137:40> »
Somehow I thought Bane was available to mundanes before... Should check on that.

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #71 on: <08-29-19/1343:58> »
:( This was crappy in 5e too. I think understanding exactly what a smartlink works and does involves half a dozen places in the book, across several chapters.

Do you need help with it, or do you know what it is and are just pointing the problem out?

I went back to my older books and pieced it together (haven't played in several years so I'd forgotten), but thanks for the offer

steelybran

• Newb
« Reply #72 on: <08-29-19/1420:14> »
Not really. You don't NEED the specialization normally. But if you have it you get extra dice.

I'll clarify.

Some specializations are way more versatile (Negotiation) than one where you are specifically "ordering people to do stuff" (Leadership).  This seems to imply Leadership is the ability to bark orders at people and make them do it; if that *IS* the case then this skill could be absurdly powerful. 
"Drop your weapons!"
"Okay!"

By that logic the skill should be "Command" and is honestly a magic-less version of Commanding Voice.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #73 on: <08-29-19/1427:51> »
Only if you're in a situation where you can actually convincingly command them. You can't negotiate or intimidate someone in blowing their own leg off, normally, but given the right situation you might be able to. Same would apply to Leadership.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <08-29-19/1433:42> »
Only if you're in a situation where you can actually convincingly command them. You can't negotiate or intimidate someone in blowing their own leg off, normally, but given the right situation you might be able to. Same would apply to Leadership.

Agreed.

Too many players thought that the Social Modifiers chart in page 5e meant that a large enough dice pool meant that you can just "Leadership" Lone Star into not arresting you or releasing you from holding.  Conning? Fast Talking? Bribing? Sure.  Commanding them into accepting you as their boss? Frag to the no.

"Leadership-ing" a beat cop into helping secure wounded bystanders when he has no reason to suspect you're the cause of the explosion that caused the injuries in the first place? Ok, that's another thing entirely...
« Last Edit: <08-29-19/1435:20> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.