NEWS

[SR5] Tracking Initiative

• 11 Replies

Manariel

• Newb
« on: <09-16-13/2210:01> »
I'm about to start GMing an SR5 game, after a long gap between SR versions. I like the initiative system in SR5 (especially the defensive moves), but with numbers constantly moving and multiple passes, it seems like a nightmare to track

What I am looking for is a practical, simple way to track it all. Spreadsheet? Program? Special board? Counters of some description? Any ideas?

Manariel

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #1 on: <09-16-13/2212:31> »
I use the same thing I use for all my games these days: a small, clipboard-sized whiteboard. Mine started life as a "notes on the fridge" board. Cheap, easy and flexible. I simply jot down the initiative ratings and when time comes to subtract 10, I just wipe away the 10s digit and put in the new one.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

gfrobbin84

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-16-13/2250:34> »
I use a white board as well and write initials for all players and npcs in a combat and write their initiative score for the round next to their initials.  Then a little to the right of that I write all their initials in the order they will act on that initiative pass and just go down the line.  If something changes their initiative I change the number by their initials on the left and then move their initials on the right to their new place in the order which can all be done quickly and easily on the whiteboard since it can be erased.  I make sure to leave enough space to the left of the left hand column to put little notes, mainly wound penalties for the NPCs and their recoil numbers, bullets left in their guns ect.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #3 on: <09-17-13/0416:12> »
I suggest you buy this for your games. My best investment in RPG accessories yet) Alternatively, you can write on one of chessex battlemats - a worthwhile investment all in itself.
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <09-17-13/0915:47> »
The D&D 4E Magnetic Initiative tracker board is actually great. Never let it be said that WOTC doesn't make great toys.

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #5 on: <09-17-13/0929:31> »
The D&D 4E Magnetic Initiative tracker board is actually great. Never let it be said that WOTC doesn't make great toys.

But for approximately 5$ less you can get a whole whiteboard/blackboard stand, which can see way more uses than a small initiative board.

Although admittedly I do have one and it is great))
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Djinnocide

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-17-13/1139:36> »
Having recently run my first SR5 game I too found keeping track of Initiative to be a difficult task with everything else that was going on. Since then, I've decided to find a better way to go about doing it and the best thing I've found so far seems to be keeping track of it in something like Excel or Open Office. Obviously, you'll need to have a computer in your GM arsenal, but if you do, it doesn't get much simpler. You have one column with every active combatant's name. The second column contains their initiative score. You drag the cursor over the cells in both columns, then you click the little AtoZ button at the top and it'll arrange them in order of Initiative score from highest to lowest. Definitely going to try and work it into our next game.

thinklibertarian

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <09-17-13/1320:53> »
I have a Gamemastery Combat Pad: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8bkr

It has since been replaced by the Pathfinder Combat Pad: http://paizo.com/products/btpy9066/?Pathfinder-Combat-Pad which is essentially the same thing but comes with more magnets.

I often ask a player to keep track of initiative for me. Using the combat pad makes this easy to do, and its one less thing for me to do.

Dangersaurus

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-17-13/1354:31> »
I have a six foot whiteboard on my garage wall for when I GM, initiative and important info goes up there so everyone can see. Unfortunately it's not magnetic. A cheap $5 letter-sized white board works if you want to avoid ™s and ©s and product placement all over your game gear.

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #9 on: <09-17-13/1423:50> »
A cheap $5 letter-sized white board works if you want to avoid ™s and ©s and product placement all over your game gear.

Also highly portable for those of us who run games at a variety of locations and don't game with a laptop at the table.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <09-17-13/2247:14> »
I have a Gamemastery Combat Pad: http://paizo.com/products/btpy8bkr

It has since been replaced by the Pathfinder Combat Pad: http://paizo.com/products/btpy9066/?Pathfinder-Combat-Pad which is essentially the same thing but comes with more magnets.

I often ask a player to keep track of initiative for me. Using the combat pad makes this easy to do, and its one less thing for me to do.
I have one of those too and use it for a lot of games... but not for Shadowrun.

For Shadowrun I have a laminated sheet that I printed out which has 3 columns (Matrix, Astral, and Physical from left to right) numbered from ~40 to 1 in descending order - it worked pretty well for SR2 and SR3, and SR5 is basically the same as SR3 as far as initiative is concerned except for interrupt actions.

deek

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-19-13/1103:00> »
I just use note cards.  One for each player and enemy. Keep each combat turn on its own line, as you will be modifying that at the end of each iniative pass and sometimes during when adjusting for wounds or special defenses. I've run about 5 different combats thus far and it works for me.