NEWS

How would you handle this?

• 5 Replies

Xicidis

• Newb
« on: <04-30-15/0543:48> »
So, I just started a game. We did the On The Run scenario from sr4 toolkit. It went pretty well. It got to the end where jet black gets in touch with them and offers to buy it for double. They work out a plan with him to give them some music an make their own disk to turn in to the Johnson. Then give jet black the real disk. Theoretically, if jet gave the runners music that he did, just not the real songs and it was encrypted like it was before, the people that wanted it wouldn't know the difference. Unless they KNEW what was on it before.

So, should I aplaud their cleverness, and give them the money and let them off the hook? Or should I have the Johnson working against them now, and they lose brownie points with the fixer that recommended them?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-30-15/0627:00> »
I'd award them for coming up with a good plan.

As you say, if the Johnson only suspected what was on the disk and had no way of knowing what the contents actually were, I can't think of a reason why the Johnson wouldn't be happy when the team delivers what he asked for; a disk with Jet Black music on it. That being said, the Johnson might be suspicious if he knew some details about what was supposed to be on the disk (track names, lyrics, etc), but discover those things aren't there.

To my mind, this boils down to how much information Mr. Johnson was working off of, and that is entirely up to you. If you decide he only knew that there was a disk with music on it out there, I'd reward the players for being clever. If you decide Mr. Johnson actually knew what the contents were supposed to be, the sky is the limit for how offended the Johnson may or may not be.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-30-15/0745:08> »
I've not read anything to do with it... but personally sounds like something that's worth awarding. The players thought outside the box, bringing their own solution to a per-determined problem... I don't see anything there not worth awarding.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

dmfubar

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-30-15/1639:13> »
Award the team now, without a doubt, but make a note of the deception and let the Johnson figure it out later in the campaign. It could lead to an interesting future scenario where he wants payback, or demands restitution for their shenanigans. I've found the players in my games like the fact that what they do has effects down the road.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-30-15/1901:47> »
Award the team now, without a doubt, but make a note of the deception and let the Johnson figure it out later in the campaign. It could lead to an interesting future scenario where he wants payback, or demands restitution for their shenanigans. I've found the players in my games like the fact that what they do has effects down the road.

Dammit... where's that 'Like' button...
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <05-15-15/0054:18> »
Definitely let the players get the benefits of a clever plan.

If Johnson finds out what music was SUPPOSED to be on the disc... and finds different Jet Black music...  Well, where did those tracks come from?  The team must have found a stash of previously-unreleased Jet Black music.  Time a for a run against the runners.  With Jet Black in the background, hinting at dire consequences if the team slips up...