NEWS

Examples for small favours

• 6 Replies

Tsujigiri

• Newb
« on: <06-15-13/1733:59> »
Hi, I again need some input. The fact that I can't come up with anything on my own might mean that it's not such a good idea, but let's see what you guys have to say.

In my next run, the PCs need information (an address of a customer of his) from a small time fixer. Instead of just letting them bribe him or convince him via social skills, I was planning to have the fixer ask them for a small favour. But I just can't come up with anything that's relatively easy and does not require a lot of planning for the PCs, yet offers the possibility to add some "annoying"/wacky complications.

The only things I could come up with was roughing up a shoplifter or debtor (who's more powerful than he appears, for example), but they'd probably expect that. Or getting the fixer's pet back and it turns out it's an awakened critter...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-15-13/1800:38> »
An introduction to a contact? An unspecified debt to be redeemed later (perhaps as a hook to a later adventure)? An urgent courier job? Providing a distraction for another runner crew (set of the alarm at such and such at exacactly 04:405 and shoot up the place for 60 seconds and then fade? Putting in a tap on a Fiber optic cable in a sewer or maintenance tunnel?

It should be noted that a Fixer who will give up his customer's address is walking on very shaky ground ethically (if he cares) and practically (this is the kind of thing that can burn a reputation really quickly). I'd either see  if an alternate activity (like setting up a meeting) would fill the plot point or consider making it a bigger favor.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #2 on: <06-15-13/2105:48> »
Send them to buy a girl who is being sold at auction at a convention of various biker gangs at an old ruined mall (I used Puyallup) It doesn't take any rolls to do, if they don't act up or do something stupid. But there's also potential for problems. My players made good use of a biker contact to make it quite easy.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-15-13/2206:55> »
Core has some examples on the favor rating table, which might help get you started.
Some ideas of my own: perhaps the fixer could ask one of the runners to borrow their fancy ride for a date, or he wants them to deliver a wedding invite to a relative that hates his guts, or he sends them to pay his bills at a brothel (when you're really behind, it helps to send other people so they don't break your fingers first and check your wallet second). Alternatively, he could ask them to pick up a "totally legit" package (which could be anything from illegal contraband to an anime figurine).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #5 on: <06-16-13/1342:13> »
Have them leave a signal for another of the fixer's customers at a dead drop. Something like this:

"Look, I just need you to do something really simple. You know that park on Third Street? Go to the second bench on the left as you face Third and make a small X in white chalk on the backrest before 8 PM tonight. That's it. Don't stick around, won't be anything to see."
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <06-25-13/1232:23> »
Hi, I again need some input. The fact that I can't come up with anything on my own might mean that it's not such a good idea, but let's see what you guys have to say.

In my next run, the PCs need information (an address of a customer of his) from a small time fixer. Instead of just letting them bribe him or convince him via social skills, I was planning to have the fixer ask them for a small favour. But I just can't come up with anything that's relatively easy and does not require a lot of planning for the PCs, yet offers the possibility to add some "annoying"/wacky complications.

The only things I could come up with was roughing up a shoplifter or debtor (who's more powerful than he appears, for example), but they'd probably expect that. Or getting the fixer's pet back and it turns out it's an awakened critter...

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Spy on his girlfriend/wife to see if she is having an affair...
Deliver some mail to someone....
Take him to a meet and act like muscle...
Take naughty video of some boy/girl he likes
Get him some drugs...
Get him a particular hooker...
Get him tickets to the next game...
Get him into a VIP club....
Watch his cat/dog for the weekend...
BABYSITTING!!!!! (as in, an actual baby!!)
Lean on someone...
Set him up with a players Sister/Brother...
Get him unbanned from the Koffee House...
Pay off his parking tickets...
Front him a weapon....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.