NEWS

A few ideas about wide security and surveillance systems

• 5 Replies

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« on: <03-17-13/0957:44> »
First, I need to clarify the title of the thread.
I`m dealing with lots of this situations during my GMing and Im looking for the simplest way how to deal with them.
First example would be security system in some random encounter situation. I dont have time to draw the map, or place every thinkable sensor, when players decide to infiltrate some shop of facility to gain additional info/loot etc. Nor I want to roll perception tests for every guard around the block, with all modifications, tacnet and teamwork included. So i decided to make this easier for me a bit.
When characters attemp to infiltrate such "space", Im using the same principle as exploit X firewall...Infiltrator being considered exploit, security level considered firewall.
In this example, lets talk about local pharmaceutical distribution center, runners are in need of some substances and this is the fastes way to get those. I say the security level of the facility is 4, slightly above the average.
Then I add+1 for every sensor involved: Motion sensors, ameras, thermographis, ultrasound, laser detectors, tripwires etc,
Lets say the facility has cameras, thermographic cameras and motion detectors. In this example this would make "firewall" 7.
Actively targetting the security system itself means +3, aiming for complete overrun of the facility means +6.
Runners are here just to take some goods and GTFO. Magnetic locks etc, on entrance I solve separately, as I see fit, same goes for hacking the computers inside facility.
Runners...or at least those who are going in, are rolling their infiltration test, lets say Agility 4 Infiltration 4 (also slightly above average). Their equipement and countermeasures apply on my dicepool...the lowest possible (in this case, IDN what helps against motion sensors so lets say the Concealement 3 provided by teammates spirit power grants me -3, which compensates those sensors)

Now the roll goes the same way as when hacking:

Security 4, thresshold 4 x Infiltration 8, thresshold 7

For players, I use the Cumulative -1 dice modifier as listed in rules for extended test.
I use this rule also for security system, well just in case the system is actively targetted (+3 to dicepool)

In our example, the chances are almost equal for both sides (everyone is free to roll for himself).
There are a few more event that can trip the alarm: Bypassing the Maglocks, Hacking the storage system to find what they need.
If Alarm is triggered, it is up on team how they are able to deal with consequences, this is another story. Like I said, this is just to be used when you dont want to spend too much time with such an event, players surprise you with their creativity and you need quick resolution which, if successfull for team, allows you to continue to next scene...
Well for basic image, do you this could work? Any further ideas? Since it is far from completed system, there may be multiple variables I didnt used or thought about.
Serious creative discussion pls.
« Last Edit: <03-25-13/0612:23> by Sichr »

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #1 on: <03-18-13/1615:22> »
Magic in the Shadows 3rd edition has a great little system for handling astral security patrols. You may want to take a look at it if you aren't already aware of it.

Sichr

• Prime Runner

Re:

« Reply #2 on: <03-18-13/1842:45> »
SR3 core?

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #3 on: <03-19-13/0323:43> »
It's the 3rd edition version of Street Magic. I'm not sure if that would be called core.

Hsere

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-19-13/0421:33> »
Huh.  That's an intriguing way of going about it.

I usually spend some fraction of my prep time just making generic infiltration maps & the associated stats.  I end up with things like "Unspecified Luxury High-Rise Apartment", "Generic Large Gang Hideout", etc.  Then when I need an infiltration map on short-notice, I just grab one of the maps that vaguely fits the situation I'm in and modify the fluff as needed.
“There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.”  -Dave Barry

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-25-13/0611:48> »
In addition to what I presented in the first paragraph, Im using this mechanism also for another thing: City wide surveillance. Ive seen another topic in lounge dedicated to Police Patrols, and IMO thi is one of mechanisms that is possible possible to use:

Instead infiltration use Shadowing.
Disguise and Palming can also affect the dicepool, as Restricted and Forbiden gear can do...first increases, another decreases.

For the city wide "firewall" you have to decide what kind of city you play setting alert and some active elements...also you can use rating for security company or government, or syndicate, depends on what are runners up to. Special events can decrease/increase this, as do the crimes runners commit. If they do minor local burglary, security systems in the city wont be at the same level of allert as if they decide to do some wetwork on local politic scene. Also, the interval of fading of the alertness would differ in this.
Im thinking about this because it is impossible to keep track of every surveillance camera and drone and sensor, all equiped with FRS, signature detectors etc. On the other side, for runners it has do be difficult somehow to just walk down the street, they are criminals after all, many of them even fell in "Terrorrists" classification. I hate to have "authorities" toothless, but on the other side I dont think it is necessary to roleplay every crossroad... This houserule is only at its birth now, so it may be flawed and a bit general, I will try to specify this later...

Also for matrix security this can be funny...When runners came to completely foreign city, and they need to get some supplies, every google like service would be able to keep track of some keywords and further analysis. Now, they datasearch adress for i.e. local ammunition dealer :)

Imo using of this system can help GM to build up a tension during the game, and also it can help players to decide whether to use some means to decrease the system alertness: Surgery, fake SIN change, Bribery, blackmailing etc. Can provide interresting RP elements and opportunities...
« Last Edit: <03-25-13/0621:27> by Sichr »