NEWS

Gambling in 5th

• 5 Replies

Lewis Greywolf

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« on: <05-04-18/0845:43> »
Anyone have a suggestion on how to run a poker game in 5ed? I was thinking opposed intuition + edge. But then, I thought maybe there should be some element of skill available for a character or NPC that wants to be a profesional. So perhaps use opposed artisan (gambler) and allow a default for those without that particular skill? (And yes I know that artisan doesn't normally default). What about adding the edge rating to everyone's dice pool to represent the "luck of the draw"?
Louis "Graywolf" Ray
Freelancer
SRM Missions Writer
Catalyst Demo Team

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-04-18/1212:12> »
You could make Poker a knowledge skill rather than an Active skill. You could link it to Logic (if the player is brute-force calculating probabilities) or Intuition.

I wouldn't add Edge directly into the dice pool. If anything, I'd use it as teamwork dice. In fact, there are several things which could go into the teamwork bucket: Edge, Perception, Judge Intentions, etc. Teamwork dice are only going to convert into hits on a 9:1 basis, so you can have a fairly generous teamwork pool without massively skewing the end results.

After that, it depends on how much dice rolling you enjoy and how abstract you want things to be. I probably wouldn't roll for each hand, unless you really like rolling, but perhaps for each circuit around the table. Maybe each net hit changes your chip stack +/- 5%.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-25-21/1048:49> »
There probably isn't a perfect answer for a shadowrun skill check simulation of a game of chance, but for a movie style card shark game of poker, I could try an Edge + Con roll to represent luck and lying, and then assign every player a random threshold of like 1-4 to count net hits from, to introduce pure chance.  When the top two tie, you get that scene where there's a tense bid up, it could go either way, and you roll again to break it.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-25-21/1250:52> »
This thread is more than 3 years old.....! ;-)

Having said that,
In 6th edition everything con-artist-related seem to be handled via the Con Skill. In this case I would probably let the player link it with Intuition (wing it / gut feeling), Logic (calculating odds / counting cards), Charisma (bluffing / deceiving) or even Edge (luck of the draw). Then each player just make an opposed test. Compare number of hits. Done.

Note that "reading" if other players can be trusted or if they are bluffing is typically handled via Judge Intention (Charisma + Intuition). And Judge Intention is typically opposed by Composure (Charisma + Willpower).

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-25-21/1344:37> »
Gahhhhh wtf how did this end up percolating to the top for me

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <05-25-21/1805:34> »
Gahhhhh wtf how did this end up percolating to the top for me
A deleted spampost for a gambling website.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!