NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #90 on: <01-06-12/0510:16> »
Frankly I do like the Street Legend idea of giving more information about SR universe key people.
But I also think that giving them statistics was a mistake.
"If you stat them, they can be killed?"
That reason among others...

I once thought that, but not anymore.  A GM who doesn't want them to die can work something out... most the time.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #91 on: <01-06-12/0558:11> »
Your definition of "bound to fail" seems a little weird to me, given the overall responses we've received to the Street Legend line of books so far.  If making fans happy is failure, I'll line up for thirds.
Do I really have to dig out all the bad pieces of media which sold well to show why that argument makes no sense? ;)

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #92 on: <01-06-12/0735:41> »
Your definition of "bound to fail" seems a little weird to me, given the overall responses we've received to the Street Legend line of books so far.  If making fans happy is failure, I'll line up for thirds.
Do I really have to dig out all the bad pieces of media which sold well to show why that argument makes no sense? ;)
Sengir, some fans' definitions of success and a business' definition of success will seldom coincide.

Me, I like the books. I've always been one of the types that enjoys reading the history and make-up of NPCs in a game.

Kat9

« Reply #93 on: <01-06-12/0951:17> »
Frankly, if some damn fool takes Lofwyr on and somehow manages to win, they deserve the accomplishment. And the accompanying wrath of other great dragons, being the SOLE focus of Saeder-Krupp Prime, and other fun things that come with taking down both one of the Great Dragons and the head of a AAA megacorp in one swoop.

Your life expectancy would be HOURS.
*Beep-Boop*  Achievement Unlocked:  Dead runner walking - 50G

Haha +1!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #94 on: <01-06-12/1040:31> »
Sengir, some fans' definitions of success and a business' definition of success will seldom coincide.
Fan definition:  Stuff I want!

Business definition:  Stuff that makes us enough money to swim naked in.
*Beep-Boop*  Achievement Unlocked:  Dead runner walking - 50G
Haha +1!
Thank you, I'm here all week, try the mutton!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #95 on: <01-06-12/1453:06> »
Except that he's not talking about sales, he's talking about overall responses they've gotten.
So your reply makes no sense what so ever.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #96 on: <01-06-12/1853:19> »
Let's see. The Street Legends products have apparently sold rather well, so that's a nod from the business side. You can look on the forums here and see that there is a lot of call for even more from the fans, so that's a nod from the fan side. Yeah, not doomed to fail in the slightest. Pretty much guaranteed win.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #97 on: <01-06-12/1859:16> »
Street Legends?
Charlie Sheen says: Winning!

Another Street Legends book?
Charlie Sheen says: Bi-Winning!

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #98 on: <01-08-12/0127:40> »
There's also the concept of a loss-leader, by the by... a product that might not do well in and of itself, but ignites future sales. For example, the book that is, to many, the Holy Bible of RPG suppliments, Aaron Allston's Strike Force. The print run it had wasn't the largest, but the effect it had was magnified several fold as the lessons and concepts it imparted went through group after group, having an impact that far outweighed the run.

A similar effect can be found from early FASA products, including both Battletech and Shadowrun, where thick, well-laid-out universes that were, as noted, THICK, with detail, not only sold themselves well, but similar lines, and then deformed the market as people demanded similar products from other companies.

Now, I'm not saying Street Legends is similarly deformative, and I'm damn sure not going to compare myself to an Aaron Allston or NIgel Findley, but the core concept is that, even from a business perspective, you can do well with a product that breaks even, rather than turns a profit (Or, in rare cases, you can do well even if it turns a loss!) ... but you'd much rather something be a hit both in terms of quality and in terms of finance.

Thusfar, the Street Legends books have been fun, cheap, have been enjoyable for the players, and haven't tied the writers down (There's a finite limit to how many writers are active at once on products. Street Legend write-ups are things you can do during a "cool down" or "warm up" period, or as a way to unwind a bit when stressed. Darn handy as an outlet.)

That said, there's room for improvement. Getting the gears and stats lined up to make everyone happy won't ever happen, this is a given, but actual mechanical flaws have crepped in for many write-ups and that needs to be looked at. I don't think that we have a true 'numbers guy' that goes over the system with a fine-toothed comb. Mr Hardy's probably the closest in that regard, but his plate is a wee bit full right now, as you might imagine. No idea if there are plans for a "Crunch Editor" to make certain that all the numbers are in proper order.

Onwards and upwards!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #99 on: <01-08-12/0302:36> »
You mean CGL isn't going to make like Team Bondi with overtime?  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #100 on: <01-08-12/0802:52> »
Captain Obvious to the rescue ;)

I've always been one of the types that enjoys reading the history and make-up of NPCs in a game.
I'm a huge fan of everything plot-related...as long as it makes sense...

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #101 on: <01-08-12/0818:45> »
to you ? to us? to them? sens like butty is in the i that look and it seem's to me that most of us like most of what we see in the book
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #103 on: <01-09-12/0448:30> »
you said "as long as it make sens so i ask one more time to whom ? you can't make every body happy
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #104 on: <01-09-12/1359:55> »
Obviously, discussing errors in the books with somebody who can't even be bothered to write sumtin legibil is somewhat pointless...