NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #180 on: <08-20-12/1117:05> »
Conspiracy theory mentions "Kids and grandkids', so Fastjack might have more than one. He's a bit private, so who knows?

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #181 on: <08-20-12/1317:00> »
Oddly, the pic for Slamm-O! was my one major complaint about the supplemental, as it doesn't keep with anything that's been said/shown about him in past fiction, particularly, Game, Set, Match from SR4A... "but who
knew the annoying hacker had such a fine body? She’d thought he’d be one of those pasty-skinned couch potatoes"... SR4A pg 214. Now, issues of personal taste aside, I really don't see any female describing the droop-gutted, man-boob bedecked image from the supplemental pic as anything even close to a 'fine body'. Wasn't even any attempt to keep consistent in overall look from Game Set Match to the supplemental, since there's a character shot in the SR4A fiction.

I can let a lot of things slide in the interests of taking things from a 'consider it from within the game world' perspective, but the one thing I've always jumped on when I spot it is internal inconsistency.

Remember that the dossier was prepared by Clockwork -- does anyone put it past him to be mean-spirited enough to edit someone he dislikes into being unattractive?

That thought entered my mind the other day as I was re-reading Street Legends at work. Viewed from that perspective, the picture does seem rather like a caricature.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #182 on: <11-09-12/0315:12> »
I love this line of books but I wish the distribution of races was more balanced. I realize Humans are the most common but come on... there is a combined total of 0 dwarves in these two books! I want to see more books in this series but I will actually be disappointed if the next book is 90% Humans.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #183 on: <11-09-12/0319:34> »
But it's so easy to overlook dwarves, with how short they are and...  *Gets punched in the crotch and falls over in agony*
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #184 on: <11-09-12/0607:44> »
I can name, I think, a total of one top-end Mover and Shaker who's a dwarf: Arthur Vogel.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #185 on: <11-09-12/0938:02> »
But it's so easy to overlook dwarves, with how short they are and...  *Gets punched in the crotch and falls over in agony*
One of my players decided to antagonize the dwarf mage of another player. This was the basic result. Everyone thought it was funny except Player 1. Even he saw the humor in it after he got over the shock of one PC attacking another (he had apparently been in some remarkably civil groups before getting involved in my game).
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #186 on: <11-09-12/1102:06> »
I can name, I think, a total of one top-end Mover and Shaker who's a dwarf: Arthur Vogel.
There's also Strouthers, former runner and ex-Governor of Seattle. Other than them, yeah, it is hard to name any prominent dwarves. They just don't seem to advance as far as the other metatypes. Then again, they don't have the obvious physicality of orks and trolls, nor the looks of elves, and there are political disadvantages to always having to look up to humans, so perhaps that isn't surprising.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #187 on: <11-09-12/1144:20> »
There are two dwarfs in "Sail Away, Sweet Sister," the long-brewing sequel to "Another Rainy Night." FWIW.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #188 on: <11-09-12/1227:12> »
Hehe that is great although not an excuse. If Dwarves are one of the main races in the game, they should be represented in these books. The books are more like "Human Street Legends" lol. Don't get me wrong, I love the books and I'm eager to buy more but there is just too many Humans for my tastes.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #189 on: <11-09-12/1250:55> »
Shadowjack, the simple fact is that there just aren't that many high profile dwarves, either as power players or as runners. As has been mentioned, I can name only three dwarves of note: Arthur Vogel, Julian Strouthers, and Lyran. I don't know of any other ones, either in the shadows or in public or private life. Most of the high profile people are Humans and Elves, with quite a few Orks. There's the odd troll in the mix, but that's mainly because they look like a living battering ram. Simply put, there aren't really any dwarves to profile.

My Characters

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #190 on: <11-09-12/1902:02> »
There is also Darren Villers. But they are under represented, considering they are supposed to be more acceptable to the public.
Andrew Grim

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #191 on: <11-09-12/1903:23> »
There is also Darren Villers. But they are under represented, considering they are supposed to be more acceptable to the public.
More acceptable to the public than orks and trolls, certainly. But humans and elves are always the favorites.

My Characters

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #192 on: <11-09-12/2046:58> »
Regardless though, if there is some small number, why not include at least one of them? I wouldn't be surprised if you guys are forgetting some notable Dwarves as well. Ultimately, if there is not a Dwarf in the next book, I will be disappointed. And why aren't there more prominent Dwarves? Come on! :)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #193 on: <11-09-12/2110:42> »
Because there just aren't as many dwarf shadowrunners? And certainly not as many dwarf corporate executives? In public and private life, looks are often important to getting ahead, which is why most of the power players are Humans and Elves. Orks and Trolls have a small presence in the upper levels, especially in situations where intimidation is better than persuasion. Dwarves, on the other hand, are neither physically imposing like Orks and Trolls, nor good looking like elves. And humans literally look down on them. They're probably prevalent in middle management situations, and able to get their foot in the door where a troll never would, but you won't see many of them as high profile people.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #194 on: <11-10-12/0008:19> »
They're also probably more popular in blue collar work, especially at night.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11