NEWS

Street Legends Supplemental now out--ten more characters to play with!

• 226 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #150 on: <01-15-12/1029:54> »
Tony Stark:  "It's my Happy time."  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #151 on: <01-16-12/1845:38> »
I didn't like the artwork they chose for Slamm-O! Seems like it doesn't fit his description from some of the chapter fiction.
I'm putting it down to he got a "Daddy Belly".  :P  Netcat probably had to recover her figure after the pregnancy as well.

But, yeah, really different from what we've been informed of before.
Actually, Slamm-O! is more-or-less what I expected.  It's been a while since 'before', and we're talking about a guy with no real physical ability.  I'm actually somewhat surprised he isn't more of a pear.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #152 on: <01-17-12/0010:03> »
I will testify that becoming a daddy is as damaging to one's figure as becoming a mommy. It just seems to me that mommies recover faster. My oldest is six and I'm still somewhat rounder than I'd care to be. My wife has recovered fairly well, in my estimation.

So Slamm-0! going soft? I can totally see it.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #153 on: <01-17-12/0342:13> »
He's gone physically soft.  In the Matrix, he's only gotten meaner.

DiaperBomb Attack Program, anyone?

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #154 on: <01-19-12/0155:34> »
He's gone physically soft.  In the Matrix, he's only gotten meaner.

DiaperBomb Attack Program, anyone?

Yeah...I am wondering if that violates some sort of international laws of war...

So, I am curious: What did people think of Devgrrl actually beating 'Jacks code to silence
Slamm-o! and Bull? Twinky? That Jack is slipping in his old age? Or that this Devgrrl is being set up
for something more down the line?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #155 on: <01-19-12/0402:24> »
Not exactly.  I see this as being more a matter of FastJack building his network, putting in moderator code and restricting it to himself, and then being surprised that someone's hacked a chunk of his code.

Understand that this sort of little tidbit is what keeps our perception of FastJack as being of someone who's (meta)human, who makes mistakes and can be beaten if you focus on the right thing and catch him off-guard.  Is he going soft?  Is he letting his reputation do some of his work for him?  Maybe, maybe not.  Most of FastJack's code-concentration undoubtedly went into keeping things private as compared to making sure none of the people he invited could use his moderator toys.  Slamm-O! could probably hack that piece of code; Netcat and Bull definitely could.

But here's the reputation coming back in; none of them would think about doing so.  It's FastJack, it's his house, you respect the guy, you don't muck around with him.  /dev/grrl, on the other hand, is the newbie -- the one who is still learning, who still needs to be taught what you Just Don't Do.  FastJack's reaction was, 'Hell, I thought I locked that down tight enough.  Good job, girl, but you just don't do that sort of thing to one of your friends in their own house.  Do it again and I'll fry your commlink faster than you can imagine.'

Is she being 'set up'?  Yes, so to speak; she's getting trained into being a pretty hefty 'runner.  That's okay, because in her journey, new players get brought along.  And in another three or five years, we'll need someone new to be our /dev/grrl.
Pananagutan & End/Line

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #156 on: <01-19-12/0910:03> »
Also, JackPoint is still in, what?  Gamma?  It isn't even into Beta yet.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #157 on: <01-19-12/1206:36> »
Remember, also, 'Jack brought in /dev/grrl because she showed extraordinary promise as a hacker.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #158 on: <01-19-12/1331:44> »
Remember, also, 'Jack brought in /dev/grrl because she showed extraordinary promise as a hacker.
He probably asked her to show him how she did it, and then gave her a cookie.

Remember, you never stop learning.  Ever.  If anyone knows that, it's someone that's survived as long as FastJack.  (No, the OTHER FastJack.).

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #159 on: <01-19-12/1514:56> »
He probably asked her to show him how she did it, and then gave her a cookie.

Remember, you never stop learning.  Ever.  If anyone knows that, it's someone that's survived as long as FastJack.  (No, the OTHER FastJack.).
One of the few times you can apply that to me and him.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #160 on: <01-19-12/1815:17> »
Also, JackPoint is still in, what?  Gamma?  It isn't even into Beta yet.  :P
Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta.  In testing parlance, Alpha is first-stage, build it and see if it runs.  Beta is Alpha with most of the bugs worked out, and everyone is testing a) to find bugs, and b) to see if it does what it's supposed to, has good useability, etc. etc.  Anything after that is typically an actual release for sale.  If JackPoint is at a Gamma stage, it's well past the 'beta testing' point.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #161 on: <01-21-12/2229:26> »
A neat aspect of the L5R universe is that the legends of old were better than today. Why try something new when the older ways were BETTER ways? There'a  big chunk of it based on upkeeping your honor and not shaming your family and their legacy.

SHadowrun tends to be about The New Think. Like your Predeator II? Meet the Predator III ! Mercurial a big hit? Take a look at Christy Daee! Nice code ... six months ago. Old an dbusted? New hotness!

NERPS!

More of teh Jackpointers should start taking rookies under their wing, but, most of them are at career peaks, rather than downward arcs. You never think about passnig your skills on when you're in mid-stride.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #162 on: <01-21-12/2309:31> »
More of teh Jackpointers should start taking rookies under their wing, but, most of them are at career peaks, rather than downward arcs. You never think about passnig your skills on when you're in mid-stride.
Kane might just change that concept a little.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #163 on: <01-21-12/2314:53> »
Firstly, Love L5R.  Great game, great setting.  Not always easy to find the 'right' players for the game, at least if you play up the politics, face and honor aspect.  It ain't hack & slash people!

Shadowrun tends to reflect the events and themes of the world in which it was written.  80s and 90s?  Consumerism, Greed, Corporate Power, Racism.  Its why the Yakuza and Mafia were big and early producst don't even mention Triads and Vory.

These days it looks at things like transhumanism (sp?) , questions like 'what does it mean to be 'human' and is it even desirable?  More politics, less pure corp greed (though its still apparent).  Nanotech, gene-alteration and bioware are the way to go, not cyberware and clunky decks.

So back on topic,  new runners represent these trends somewhat.  Technomancers vs the old guard (clockwork as an extreme example).  Actually, when I think about, Jackpoint doesnt have many surge, AIs etc.... just a few technomancers.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #164 on: <01-21-12/2320:43> »
There's one SURGE, IIRC.  No AIs as they're too new, and I think FastJack is still a little leery of them, but one might be able to impress him.

Someday.  If they eat all their vegetables.  And wake up early enough.  On the best day of their existence.  At the peak of their power.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11