NEWS

'Ware in Prison

• 46 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <02-05-14/1553:51> »
Because the municipality itself can't make that deal; they have no legal right to the legal property of those individuals.
I guess that depends on where you live. In the states, if the authorities can make a suitable connection between property and the commission of a drug crime, they can take it, and fairly easily. A large number of police forces rely on revenues raised from the sale of this property to fund operations.

The definition of legal property may vary, yes.  But if it is your legal property, there's no selling it - and a lot of that seized property wouldn't hit the prison anyways; you're not taking the guy through processing in the boat he used to smuggle stuff in, after all.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #31 on: <02-05-14/1600:05> »
The definition of legal property may vary, yes.  But if it is your legal property, there's no selling it
Unless, as noted, you could prove that they used it in conjunction with committing a crime, a perfectly plausible expansion of current policy (in my mind).

- and a lot of that seized property wouldn't hit the prison anyways; you're not taking the guy through processing in the boat he used to smuggle stuff in, after all.
Of course, the same corporation may be performing both functions. On top of that, the prison could simply identify any and all cyberware as being contraband, remove it from prisoners, and then sell that cyberware to recoup the cost of extraction.

Honestly, there isn't really a correct answer here. You see it one way, I see it another. Unless there's something in a book that specifically contradicts either interpretation, I don't think either is any less plausible than the other.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #32 on: <02-05-14/1646:19> »
Isn't this argument moving WAY past the initial question of how cyberware would be handled in a prison environment?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Kanly

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <02-05-14/1707:38> »
Yep, it's about prisons and criminal rights in SR. Pretty cool :)

Alphaware can't be sold as used? Or when removed it instantly stops being alphaware and is now used (except if they put it back into the same person)?

B/c then it could be wise to install cultured and alphaware only. So there's no 'warelegging your shiny bits :D

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-05-14/1801:09> »
Unless, as noted, you could prove that they used it in conjunction with committing a crime, a perfectly plausible expansion of current policy (in my mind).

What I'm saying is that the definition of legal property could exclude anything used in the commission of a crime.  However, that still wouldn't meant that the prison gets to sell off ALL your stuff, just the stuff the cops link to a crime - and if it's a Lone Star jail in KE jurisdiction, the cops aren't gonna be helping them much.

Kanly:  As higher grades of 'ware are supposed to be tailored to you specifically, they wouldn't offer their Essence benefit if put into someone else.  Ergo, they'd be considered Used.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Solarious

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <02-05-14/1956:26> »
I think the bottom line in a prison is just going to be way too tight to just flat out say they are going to spend the cash having everything removed that they can.

For instance, I see them removing your cyberblade for sure. However, do they bother removing the rail mechanism the blade moves on? This would open up the possibility of making/bartering for a new blade using standard prison tactics.

I like the idea of the matrix prison too.
It's probably cheaper to feed bodies that never move around.
I can see this having it's own set of problems for the jailers though.
I guess breaking out of this place would require 2 breakouts essentially.

Whatever problems they might have for the genpop sections with cyber and bioware, I imagine that the magic block side of the building gives them way bigger headaches. What with prisoners over there being able to run on walls or astrally project, or really anything an awakened inmate might throw at them.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #36 on: <02-05-14/2056:47> »
"Those are some nice O-Type organs you got there.  Hmmmmmmmm, let's see, profit-loss, risk of 'accidental' death insurance, and little possibility of kickbacks from your attempts to smuggle.  Hm, math is hard.  Oh well, hey Joe, I think we got another fellow that is about to fall down the stairs!"
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Beaumis

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <02-06-14/1616:34> »
I think what CanRay said just about sums up the attitude of most prisons when it comes to shadowrunners.

"Runners, they're all the same, killing whoever is in their way to get paid. I don't care who this one is. He's the same scum that gunned down John and Max last week. And we'll make him suffer for it."

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <02-06-14/1735:12> »
Remember, people, Knight Errant may be a step up but Lone Star still runs the prisons. Better make a deal with the Knights and sell out whoever you can, it's better to be hunted than to be stuck in Lone Star jail.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <02-06-14/1859:50> »
And Lone Star is a AA.  Which means that when you are sent to their prison, you're not a prisoner.

You're property with a contract to be returned that has a whole lot of legal loopholes for the Corporation and the Government to abuse.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <02-06-14/1951:31> »
So just like the present, then.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <02-07-14/0019:45> »
So just like the present, then.
Only moreso, yeah.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <02-07-14/0024:18> »
Reports have flooded in for years about how privately owned prisons are using their inmates like slave labor, rampant disease and even accusations of torture are all really prevalent.  The future isn't looking much better.  This kind of makes me want a Coyotes-esque supplement just about the criminal justice system.  We've had Vice in 4th edition to talk about crime.  Let's hear about punishment!

Oh, and an interesting read about things that are really happening in the real world: http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-prison-industry-in-the-united-states-big-business-or-a-new-form-of-slavery/8289

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

orcmeat

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <02-08-14/1054:37> »
I know it wasn't brought up but augments could be taken out of on prisoner and put into another...namely the awakened member of the team. Have fun with 20 data jacks, hope that doesn't hurt your magic rating. Few things are worse then shadowrun prison system. 
Just because it has stats, Doesn't mean you can kill it

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-08-14/1159:36> »
I know it wasn't brought up but augments could be taken out of on prisoner and put into another...namely the awakened member of the team. Have fun with 20 data jacks, hope that doesn't hurt your magic rating. Few things are worse then shadowrun prison system.

That's horrible!  You have a sick and twisted mind.  It's beautiful.  :)