Off-topic > Off-off-topic

The Secret of Kells

(1/4) > >>

FastJack:
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with Shadowrun.

But, I implore you all to see The Secret of Kells right now. If you have a Netflix account, it is available to watch instantly. If you don't have a Netflix account, go and ask - nay, DEMAND it from your local video store!

I've seen a lot of movies in my day. A lot of animated movies too. The top three animated have always been Akira, The Secret of NIMH and Toy Story; based on animation, story and sheer beauty.

The top three are now Secret of Kells, Akira and The Secret of NIMH (Not necessarily in that order, but Kells isn't in third, I'll tell you that much).

If this doesn't win at LEAST Best Animated at the Oscars, I suggest we burn Disney Studios to the ground. This is better than Despicable Me, Toy Story 3 and How to Train Your Dragon combined.

Critias:
I've got it in my Netflix "watch instantly" que right now.  I saw it the other day, added it, but just haven't had the chance since then.

Devil:
I'll probly check it out. I liked the secret of NIMH quite a bit when I last saw it. It was a very long time ago though.

Akira was decent. In some ways it doesn't make sense to me, but I like parts of it. It's an unusual story.

Can't believe Princess Mononoke isn't on your list. :) Too many good ones out there, I guess. Now I' trying to figure out my favorites.

FastJack:

--- Quote from: Joker on ---I'll probly check it out. I liked the secret of NIMH quite a bit when I last saw it. It was a very long time ago though.

Akira was decent. In some ways it doesn't make sense to me, but I like parts of it. It's an unusual story.

Can't believe Princess Mononoke isn't on your list. :) Too many good ones out there, I guess. Now I' trying to figure out my favorites.

--- End quote ---
Princess is one of the greats, but I felt that Akira was better. If you can, get a more recent copy of Akira. When it first came over, the dubbing/translations weren't as good.

Critias:
I don't even like all of Akira, myself -- I could watch and re-watch the early, cyberpunkish, go-gang parts all day, but don't care much for the rest of it -- but I still think of it as a classic.  It really just kind of set the standard, raised the bar, or whatever other catch-phrase you want to use for being, in a lot of ways, genre-defining. 

Personally, though, where anime and animation are concerned, there are two greats that loom head and shoulders over anything else.  The old Batman: The Animated Series (and, by extension, the continuing DC/Warner Brothers animated universe), and Cowboy Bebop.  I love 'em both.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version