NEWS

Hacker and Greatest Swordsman in the World

• 32 Replies

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-07-10/0321:39> »
So, are you going to name this guy Hiro Protagonist?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

WhiskeyJohnny

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <11-07-10/1344:28> »
So, are you going to name this guy Hiro Protagonist?

No, but I'm glad someone picked up on the reference.

Edit: I'm not able to find Skillsofts on pg. 330 of the SR4 core book, would that be because I have the regular edition (as opposed to the Anniversary edition)?

Further Edit: What if I went the Adept Hacker route, instead of a heavily 'wared up Hacker (I'm worried that a competent Hacker/Street Sam would cost more nuyen than I have available at chargen)?
« Last Edit: <11-07-10/1537:00> by WhiskeyJohnny »

WhiskeyJohnny

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <11-07-10/1959:08> »
Two more questions:

If I were to have cyberlimbs, would that benefit me?  I ask because cyberlimbs have cyberlimb capacity, which may help me to keep my essence costs down.

If I were to roll an Ork (with the Human-Looking quality) would that benefit me?  They seem to get a lot for their 20 BP cost.

Edit so as not to triple post: I've decided I'm going to play an Ork, focusing on being a gunbunny and hacker.  I'm thinking about using a Cyberfoot, or maybe two partial Cyberlegs, so I can use their capacity to boost what cyberware I can run.  I'm thinking about a nanohive and Neo-Cortical nanites, PuSHeD, an Encephalon and some other stuff (assuming my GM allows them).  Are there any other 'wares you'd suggest from the get go?  And could someone explain to me how the stats on Cyberlimbs work, and armoring them and such (it's all kinda confusing)?  I'm trying to make sure I've got three IPs out of chargen, and I think I may have to use Wired Reflexes rather than Move-by-Wire, at least initially, due to costs (this guy is likely to be extremely strapped for cash).

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: <11-08-10/1546:59> by WhiskeyJohnny »

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #19 on: <11-10-10/2145:13> »
Edit: I'm not able to find Skillsofts on pg. 330 of the SR4 core book, would that be because I have the regular edition (as opposed to the Anniversary edition)?

Skillsofts in SR4 "sans-A", pg. 320 - 321. If your GM is using SR4A or the latest errata, grab yourself a copy of the Changes Reference Document, it affects skillsofts. If your copy is pre-fifth printing (in other words, FanPro) also grab the errata.

I'm kinda glad I didn't trash my copy of the Fifth Printing SR4, it's come in handy a few times on this forum. (And, with the CRD in the front, it's still useful around the table).
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <11-10-10/2209:43> »
Skillsoft prices got massively increased in SR4A.  Activesofts cost rating x 10,000.  Knowsofts cost rating x 2,000.

WhiskeyJohnny

• Newb
« Reply #21 on: <11-10-10/2245:58> »
Well, we're using the SR4, no A, so I guess I'm using the lower priced Skillsofts.  My build is mostly done, as we had our first session last night, but the GM is willing to let us make some small changes, so when I've got the full write up (I'm still working out just what 'wares this guy has) I'll post it for your consideration.  Thanks for all the help.

Grendel

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <12-03-10/1546:11> »
I can only hope you intend to name him Hiro Protagonist and make him a pizza delivery man for the Cosa Nostra.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #23 on: <12-03-10/1923:55> »
I think I actually made Hiro once.  I have a collection of random fictional characters I've made in ShadowRun when bored.  Everyone from Lina Inverse to Boogiepop to Bruce Lee.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <12-04-10/1405:24> »
Well, we're using the SR4, no A, so I guess I'm using the lower priced Skillsofts.  My build is mostly done, as we had our first session last night, but the GM is willing to let us make some small changes, so when I've got the full write up (I'm still working out just what 'wares this guy has) I'll post it for your consideration.  Thanks for all the help.

You do know that publishes for a while now and all new will be built on SR4A, yes?
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <12-05-10/1904:59> »

If I were to roll an Ork (with the Human-Looking quality) would that benefit me?  They seem to get a lot for their 20 BP cost.

Like many qualities, it totally depends on how your GM wishes to handle it and what are the cultures and social structures emphasized in his campaign.  If you noticed that human npc's tend to be prejudiced against Orks, then it would help you when dealing with humans.  Many GM's however tend to forget about enforcing a lot of social aspects of their game because they're too bogged down with more mechanical problems of combat just logical flow of plot and what not.  If you still don't know your GM too well, I would say when you take qualities of the nature of "human looking", you see it more as a bargaining chip when you're negotiating to get yourself some positive dice-pool modifiers in social tests.  Even though the social aspects of SR are my favorite, there are always factors which escape my attention and my players tend to use their more ambiguous positive qualities as bargaining chips and when I know they've thought ahead and spent BP, i'm way more likely to grant positive modifiers or lower thresholds.  Then I use Negative qualities as bargaining chips to make my players lives harder! 

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #26 on: <12-06-10/1722:25> »
Am I the only one that thinks orks are a little on the cheap side, BP wise?

etherial

• Newb
« Reply #27 on: <12-07-10/1351:33> »
Am I the only one that thinks orks are a little on the cheap side, BP wise?

Yes, and no. They get big bonuses in sucky attributes and penalties to awesome attributes.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #28 on: <12-07-10/1430:41> »
Depending on the type of character you play.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #29 on: <12-07-10/1502:44> »
Even my Orc Mage never complained about being able to bust heads.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100