NEWS

New GM, new group, kinda scared, any tips?

• 15 Replies

Ozavic

• Newb
« on: <01-02-15/0222:17> »
I've only recently gotten the new book,  and have been loving the hell out of learning the new system (5E, I'm an old 4E player)

The only problem is that a group of my buddies came over and found the book and started to flip through it while I was on a drink run, I come back and they all now want to play a game, with me being the 'vet' as the GM.

I have never sucsussfully GM'd before. I have the rules down solid, and I'm usually fine with creating an interesting firefight or chase scene, but I lack story and character. I really want to give my friends a true shadowrun experience, so I ask if anyone who's been at this a hell of a lot longer than me could give some tips on how to sling a steller story together to keep a new group engaged?

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #1 on: <01-02-15/0234:02> »
Don't know how much use I'll be, but I do have a recommendation. Feel free to disregard this, I've only done 2 sessions of Shadowrun 5E and none of 4E. And only 3 sessions of an entirely different game.

You need to get a good summary of the setting your players are in on hand. That way you can keep it straight, and remember to use it.

8-bit

« Reply #2 on: <01-02-15/0235:56> »
I would say that's a good suggestion by Lethal. I know we like to keep notes on hand in case we forget something that happened the session before.

This thread might be useful as well.

Mox

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-02-15/0300:21> »
Hahaha. That actually sorta echoes how my most recent campaign got started.

A couple new-to-RPGs friends got really stoked about trying one, flipping through my books. I was nominated as the 'vet'. I toss around some settings, and styles, and we settle on fantasy, cyberpunk. No sooner than I agree, a couple veteran players hop on.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-02-15/0401:12> »
for me there are some important Cornerstones in GMing a good game (and knowing the Rules is not the most important one)
1) Know the Chars (write the most improtant details down on a separate sheet (Important data ImO : Name,Race & Profession, Attributes, Edge, total Pools of the most important Skills for that Char(& Perception and etiquette), Soakpool, Pos & Neg Qualities

2) Let the Shadowrun World react correctly and plausible.
(If the Chars are running around in Downtown Seattle with ready & armed Assaultcannons SWAT Teams are sure to come around . A simple warehouse isn't guarded by Prof 5 Level Red Samurai . There's only a Handfull IEs worldwide and not many more Great Dragons. )
2A start simple
You don't need to start your campaign with chars meeting Richard Villiers and Damien Knight and they don't have to fight a Cybercombie and two Squads of Red Samurai (including two Combat Mages) all at once during their first run ! (I'm looking at You First Run>:(  )
you can raise the danger and the ..."Epicness" of Your Runs later down the road
3) be fair and Just. Don't (ever) favor one Char before the other.
Same goes with name NPCs(don't favor them before the Player's Chars) . If the Chars manage to Kill the Boss of the Gang in the second session of your 20 Session Kampaign you invented and you planned for a Grand Finale don't let him escape miracoulosly. ( ! )
if the NPCs dead he's dead (you can always create a new Gangleader who noe becomes the "Endboss"
4) don't fudge the Dice ( ImO fudging dice demeans the decisions of the Players )
If the Player endanger their Chars , let them. (They usually have Edge to save their Chars'  Hides)
nothing is sweeter than a fair and well earned victory (as a Player i would'nt enjoy the Game if I'd know that a GM would fudge the Dice in my favor ) .
5 ) go with the Flow :
If the Chars decide tto not go on Your prepared Run and want to go and stel some Cars instead, let them have a try
take 5 Min Of ,think of a location , think of some Chars the players could steal , of Difficulties (anti Car theft, who is the Owner of the car, etc). than go with the Flow
Your own Run has no expiration Date it can still be used some other Session
6) know the Rules ,know where to find them but be prepared to Improvise too (GM: What should I roll to keep the Door shut, the Zombies are about to break in )

He who dances with the Flow
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Ozavic

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <01-02-15/0454:46> »
They usually have Edge to save their Chars'  Hides
We've gone through character creation, no one's edge is above 1 :/

Because of this, I'm scared to throw a challenge at them in case the dice get fucky and someone dies run #1 without any wild-card-save-my-ass button

At least we have a solid set of roles (Mage, Street Sam, Hacker, and Face) and everyone has a backstory that wasn't ripped from somewhere else (As far as I know)

Wavefire

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-02-15/0500:07> »
I'd suggest going with what you said you know, run a combat scenario and a chase scene and then go from there.

Synopsis:
Johnson (local businessowner, home associaton rep, gang lieutenant) sends the runners to clear out a problem (gang, ghouls, bugs, psycho cult). Fight scene, one or more oppenents get away. Some leg work (talking to locals, contacts, matrix snoops, spirits). Next encounter bad guys speed away, chase scene + combat. Victory! Depending on how they deal with locals and Johnson more work could come their way.

If players ask why it was short you say you wanted extra time in case of rules discussions and because you're new. Before next session evaluate what the players gave you regarding ideas and character and go from that.

Don't get lured into "save the world" scenarios. Keep it simple until all of you are comfortable with rules and setting.
Don't be too meticulous with your prep work. Players never ever follow the script so it's easier to keep it loose and just make some sketchy notes for what you think they might do.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-02-15/0608:21> »
We've gone through character creation, no one's edge is above 1 :/

then 2A is even more Important.
 Run a few simple Sessions so that the Players can get used to the Gaming World and the Rules at the same time
tell them also that they should raise edge (because it can help save their Skins ;) )
and once they've bolstered their Edge a bit , You can...."crank up the Volume to 3 "

with a Dance to the higher Volume
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #8 on: <01-02-15/0655:37> »
I've only recently gotten the new book,  and have been loving the hell out of learning the new system (5E, I'm an old 4E player)

The only problem is that a group of my buddies came over and found the book and started to flip through it while I was on a drink run, I come back and they all now want to play a game, with me being the 'vet' as the GM.

I have never sucsussfully GM'd before. I have the rules down solid, and I'm usually fine with creating an interesting firefight or chase scene, but I lack story and character. I really want to give my friends a true shadowrun experience, so I ask if anyone who's been at this a hell of a lot longer than me could give some tips on how to sling a steller story together to keep a new group engaged?

Honestly, if you're all totally new and have brand spanking new players, do one of the SRM pre-gen missions.
It takes a huge amount of the hard work out of it for you, including balancing encounters and accounting for some of those "what if" moments when the players do something a bit wacky you weren't prepared for.
I'd sell it to the players as a trial run, somewhere to play-test their characters before your real campaign starts. let them make some tweaks afterwards from their learning experiences (higher EDG might be one of them!)
and i think everyone will be better off once your narrative campaign starts.

iirc the denver SRM missions are free (season 2?)
« Last Edit: <01-02-15/0657:51> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Quatar

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-02-15/0709:46> »
I'm in a similar situation, that I'm not sure I can come up with a compelling SR story on my own just yet. So I've been looking at published Adventures and Missions, and they're pretty good.

A lot of them are still made for 4th edition, but it doesn't seem too hard to convert things over to 5th. (I made a thread about this the other day)

I found this post when searching for inspiration myself and it seems to be solid advice and the order of the books he suggests seem to make sense:

Splintered State is a perfect Introductory Adventure for Experienced Players who want to switch to SR5. It sucks for others.

If you want to really build up Seattle, here's what I'd do:

- Play Copycat Killer, the original start of the Mayan Cutter Trilogy. Convert it, Carbon Copy is in part its SR5 version so you can take inspiration from it. Edit it down a bit to make it easy enough for the rookies, especially if you use Street Level or Street Scum chargen rules.
- Play Seasons 4, 0+odd Missions only. Do NOT play the Artefacts Missions! They're far too tough for now. Convert of course.
- Consider Splintered State now, but only if you started as normal runners and your players are now veterans. Ignore it otherwise, just let them hear the gossip about what happened.
- Play Sprawl Wilds: Ashes and Sprawl Wilds: Carbon Copy. The others you can do if you want.
- Consider the even Missions of Season 4 now. If you played Humanitarian Aid, definitely use Romero&Juliet.

I personally will probably start with 4-00 and then maybe 4-01 first, then at some point throw Copycat Killer in (has to happen before 4-05 as that's the sequel to it - Carbon Copy apparently finishes the storyline). I'll have to see if some missions from Sprawl Wilds fit nicely into the gaps between the missions (so they get some variaty and not only Ork Underground story).
Depending on how the players do I might start the Artifact Missions at some point in between as well, though if they're really too hard I'll have to nerf some of the opposition. (haven't read them yet, so dunno)

Anyway that suggestion gives you about 20 missions that are designed to be played in a 4 hour timeslot at conventions. Splintered State is a full fledged adventure that seems to be about three to four times that size. I'm sure I'll take longer for each them, either because I enjoy the RP parts more and just take my time there or because I don't have everything down yet. But that doesn't matter as long as everyone has fun.
So this will give me plenty of things to throw at my PCs, for the better part of a year at least, I would think. Then I'll see.

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #10 on: <01-02-15/0928:39> »
If you want, I have a decent introduction mission that I can send you. Fair warning though, both teams that I have put through it have hated me for it, although for different reasons. Other gms have told me that it is a nice intro to the setting, for what it's worth. Send me a message, and I will send it to you.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-02-15/1152:52> »
My best advice is why say no when it's so much more fun to say yes, but there will be consequences... Que ominous music
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #12 on: <01-03-15/0222:23> »
Just do what the greats have always done... STEAL!

Take your favorite stories, re-arrange some bits, jiggle some motivations around, dress it up in 6th world clothes and go.

You'll be amazed how fast your own original shit starts to find it's way in.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-09-15/1856:26> »
My best advice is why say no when it's so much more fun to say yes, but there will be consequences... Que ominous music

I needed a good chuckle today - thanks Imveros!  :)

I'll keep that in mind when we game tonite - T-90 minutes and counting --- running the first run in the MIssions sourcebook --- those silly Futuremen! Changes things a bit with matrix options -- actually gives my player with their Technomancer more options. I think the book was published in 2002.

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <01-11-15/2222:46> »
Not only should you know the characters, but you really need to know the players as well.  There are alot of ways to approach a shadowrun game.  For some groups combat is what happens when things go wrong, for others its kind of the point.  Some groups like lots of legwork and extensive planning.  Other groups feel there is no problem than can't be solved by a bulldog van full of guns, explosives, and trolls.  Some groups play a "dungeon of the week" style, were the dungeon is the job they have been hired to do, other groups like more downtime, with the personal lives of the runners coming into play, as well as letting the runners sometimes take the initiative in money making ideas, rather than just sitting around waiting for a job and slowly drinking themselves to death. 

btw, The way to find all of this out is to ask.  And your players may not all have the same answer.  Have a conversation about playstyle and player, as opposed to character, goals.