NEWS

Seeking Enlightenment - Can You Answer These Questions?

• 253 Replies

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« on: <08-01-13/1237:39> »
Doing research, I came across some things I can't get answers to. Care to take a stab at answers (if possible, provide sources).

1) According to the 6th World Almanac, on June  2, 2042, Damien Knight was reinstated as chairman of Ares. I can't find any source that says that he was removed from this office in the first place or why.

2) According to the same almanac, on December 8, 2041,  Veil agents intercept and destroy all data from the Cydonia Mars probes. What are Veil agents? Where do they come from? Why the destruction? Is this related to the Pyramids and Bones? Any source material for mars?

3) Are Spider spirits considered Bug spirits? Do they show up at all after Sam Verner kicked Spider's hoop?

4) Of the 3 Mars pictures that are on the end of Big D's will, I have read that the UFO one is fake. But I haven't read anything about the other two. Presumably, two are from Operation Discovery (the Pyramids and the bones), and the UFO one was planted on Cydonia. Is this correct?

5) Was there ever any "actual" data that survived from Cydonia?

6) how does a dragon "become" a great dragon as Masaru did in 2042? I thought I saw that he was already a "great dragon" when he showed up in 2014?

7)  Kenneth Brackhaven "goblinized" in 2023, but went into "remission?" He was cured of his ork-ness? How did this take place? and how/why does it say that his father brought in the best scientists to "cure" him? And it seems to have worked. What is the deal here?

8 ) is there anything known about the "fine old fixer traditions" that Charlie Tarrow was a part of with Wyrd back in the 30's? The only thing I can find is that they were doing and setting up "Shadowruns" before the term was popular. Does this group come up anywhere in the fiction or in a sourcebook?

9) Was there ever any significant storyline surrounding Thomas Roxborough and his strange brain-in-a-jar condition? Is he still an Azzie shareholder? Is he still in a vat? Has he ever caused problems for runners? I was able to pick up that he was a Decker... does he have an online name?

10) in Missions, Season 4-00 (Back in Business), the runners are sent to find (among other things) something called a "morel stone." My runners kept it, sensing that it was worth more than they were being offered. Is there any properties or stats or further hints as to what this artifact does, or what it can do?

11) I seem to have gotten the idea in my head that Dodger was the best decker around in the 50s. Yet I keep seeing other places people refer to Fastjack as the best decker ever. Since it appears Dodger is back (or never left), has there ever been a comparison between the two? Is there a reason everyone says Fastjack is the best, other than people saying he's the best? Or is it apples and oranges?

12) The Bot' Kham seem to be popping up all over the underground these days. They also seem to be a pretty violent and unruly gang (even by OU standards). Kham himself seemed to be a pretty decent and down to earth dude. Is there some record of how we got from one to the other after "Never Trust An Elf?"

13) I know that Horizon had a rep as a "good" corp, until recently, but what was the event (or events) that pulled the curtain back? In other words, we all sortof "knew" that their "goody-two-shoes" act was BS, so what happened that proved us right? Also, sources would be aces.

14) Can someone point me to some reading on Neon Samurai and Night Fire? Something about a feud?

15) where can I find some good source material for what Shiawase was up to from 2072 to 2075?

16) Arthur Vogel - from what I can find he was an environmentalist. But Dunky tells him in his will to give up the Toxic stuff. Seems to contradict. Anyone have source material or explanation/story for Mr. Vogel?

17) Regarding EVO's Yuri Shibanokuji, does anyone know how he REALLY overcame his Methuselah's disease in 2065? I have heard plastic surgery, cloning, leonization, spirit magic. Nothing seems to add up...

18) Looking for info on the "D-Team," Dunklezahn's shadowrunner team. Who are they, what did they do? Sources?

19) Also, looks like something went down in 2054 when the Elves put Crater Lake on Lockdown. Big D and Harley seem to have had something to say about it on Shadowland, but can't find anything concrete. Thoughts?

20) Anyone clear on how to pronounce Wuxing? Is it Wu-ZING? or Wu-SHING? Or Wu-KSING?

21) Anyone have current info on the Jade Dragon of Wind and Fire? I know it had been used around '62 to re-align mana geomantically (any source for that info?), and that at that point was still at the skytower, but what about since then? Still in the same place? Has it done anything of note?

22) What is a "shallow" in the context of mana?

23) I can't help thinking I heard that the head of Wuxing, Wu Lung-Wei, was awakened somehow, but I can't find the source. Any help?

24) having solid difficulty tracking down info on Fu-Peng. Is that because there is none? Or because I am looking in the wrong places? I can see he has some sort of mystical influence on Wu, and is mysterious (terribly mysterious), but other than that... I am coming up empty...

25) I keep seeing a reference to some sort of magic or magically caused earthquake in Richmond, Vancouver, Salish lands. Can't find the details. Anyone point me to a source or info?

26) Big one. The shadows have been connecting Damien Knight, David Gavilan, Fuchi, Lucien Cross, and Big-D for some time. The info is spread all over. Is there either a paragraph run down or a consolidated thread/upload about this, laying out the pieces?

27) Further, what specifically has Ares been up to (what have they learned) regarding Vogel and Daviar? What have they been doing from 2073 to present?

28) Any bleeding edge current info on Damien Knight/Ares' Excalibur project?

29) ANY info on Mag Mell? Source would be appreciated.

30) Anyone know what happened to the Decker "Jack the Ripper" from the Whitechapel Rose story in Into the Shadows?

31) Is there any confirmation regarding the relationship between King Berthold of the Troll Kingdom and the Great Dragon Kaltenstein? Further, does anyone have any insight as to the reason why Lofwyr and Nebelherr fought Kaltenstein to prevent him from rescuing Feuerschwinge? The accounts are vague on the why...

32) any updates on the Church of the Undying Light since the year of the Comet? Did they end up being pawns for DEUS? Legit charity?

33) Noticed that Ares finally landed a probe on Hally's comet in 2062. Any lead on what they found?

34) Is Magicknet still up and running in 2075/6?

35) Halley's comet, according to different sources, became visible to the naked eye on two different dates: September 5, 2061, and in March of 2062. Was it BOTH, because of the nature of Halley's orbit, passing by twice? Or is this a mistake/difference of view/unreliable narrator issue? Thanks!

36) I am having trouble with the Proteus AG/Ares War. What could have caused Ares to want end the war with a Thor strike, and why would striking the Arcoblock be the target? I just feel like my lack of German language understanding is preventing me from getting the nuances. A summary of the war, please? Or a primary source? much obliged.

37) Can anyone give me a brief rundown of the Rose Croix storyline?

More to come, I'm sure.. Thanks.

opti.
« Last Edit: <08-13-15/1545:18> by Opti »

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <08-01-13/1252:30> »
Doing research, I came across some things I can't get answers to. Care to take a stab at answers (if possible, provide sources).

1) According to the 6th World Almanac, on June  2, 2042, Damien Knight was reinstated as chairman of Ares. I can't find any source that says that he was removed from this office in the first place or why.
There was a power struggle with Leonard Aurelius for control of the company. For a time, Aurelius was able to boot Knight from chairman, but Damien got it back.
2) According to the same almanac, on December 8, 2041,  Veil agents intercept and destroy all data from the Cydonia Mars probes. What are Veil agents? Where do they come from? Why the destruction? Is this related to the Pyramids and Bones? Any source material for mars?
Per Missions, p. 52: "...the jurisdiction of Veil, a covert black-ops agency within the Defense Department that enjoyed the highest existing security clearance. Few people in or outside the Defense Department knew that Veil existed, and even fewer knew of its mission."
3) Are Spider spirits considered Bug spirits? Do they show up at all after Sam Verner kicked Spider's ass?

More to come, I'm sure.. Thanks.

opti.

Spider is much like Mantis, in that they are bug spirits and bug hunters. They are still very alien to the Sixth World, still aren't to be trusted, but they do kill other bug spirits...

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-01-13/1256:10> »
Woo-hoo, a reply from the man himself. Thank you sir. Is there any sources I can look into for the  Aurelius vs. Knight stuff?

Malathis

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <08-01-13/1423:29> »
Spider is much like Mantis, in that they are bug spirits and bug hunters. They are still very alien to the Sixth World, still aren't to be trusted, but they do kill other bug spirits...

Where is there more information on Spider? I played a spider shaman back in 2nd/3rd, and I'm just curious to know more about my old charachters totem. Especially since charachters from that campaign will likely make cameo's in a campaign I'm trying to get going.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <08-01-13/1431:20> »
Further rabbit holes I have jumped down caused me to ask these questions:

4) Of the 3 Mars pictures that are on the end of Big D's will, I have read that the UFO one is fake. But I haven't read anything about the other two. Presumably, two are from Operation Discovery (the Pyramids and the bones), and the UFO one was planted on Cydonia. Is this correct?

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <08-01-13/1441:57> »
Woo-hoo, a reply from the man himself. Thank you sir. Is there any sources I can look into for the  Aurelius vs. Knight stuff?
Stuff is interspersed through a great many books since Leonard's father was the one that really built Ares Macrotechnology into the Triple-A we all know and loathe. Nicholas retired, putting his son Leonard in charge. Damien did the nano-second buyout of Ares, putting himself in charge. Then Sakehisa Tajika took over control of the company, Damien then reclaimed the chair. All the while Leonard has been working to get him removed (preferably permanently) from the board.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #6 on: <08-01-13/1455:58> »

Where is there more information on Spider? I played a spider shaman back in 2nd/3rd, and I'm just curious to know more about my old charachters totem. Especially since charachters from that campaign will likely make cameo's in a campaign I'm trying to get going.
Actually, scratch what I said before. Spider shaman I always viewed with a personal bias that's not matching what the rules say. According to the material (most recently in the SR4 book Street Magic), Spider is a valid totem, not associated with the Insect spirits like Fly, Roach, Mantid, and others. Whereas those spirits and their shaman are typically toxic, Spider is beneficial (much as I dislike spiders and their ilk :P ). They aren't discussed much beyond the entries in books like Magic in the Shadows and Street Magic, with their only major turn taking place in the aforementioned Secrets of Power trilogy.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <08-01-13/1457:20> »
Further rabbit holes I have jumped down caused me to ask these questions:

Check out the Missions book for that info. There's is an entire Adventure hook that talks about the photos and those "in the know". Of course, being and adventure hook, it leaves the big questions unanswered, allowing you or your GM to fill in the blanks.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <08-01-13/1510:52> »
Corporate Shadowfiles
President/CEO: Damien Knight
Chairman of the board: Leonard Aurelius
Blood in the Boardroom, page 54
Leonard Aurelius remained on the board of directors and tried to reclaim his position as chairman and CEO by fair means or foul. His complex maze of shell corporations and skilled proxy manipulation enabled him to gain a partial success in 2041, when Knight was voted out of the chairman's seat. Unfortunately, Aurelius didn't have enough leverage to get himself voted in, and the board elected former CEO Sakehisa Tajika as the new chairman. Knight remained CEO and took over the chairman's eat again in 2043 amid increasing evident of Tajika's senility. Several more years passed before Aurelius tried again. In 2049, he successfully voted Knight out of the chairman's position again and took it over himself. However, Knight held on to his position as CEO through the intervention of Dunkelzahn, who voted his shares of Gavilan Ventures in such a way as to keep Knight CEO and Leonard Aurelius as chairman. Whatever his motive, the effect was to prevent either man from gaining full control of the corporation.
Corporate Download, page 34
Riding the wave of the buyout, Knight usurped control of Ares from Leonard Aurelius and became the megacorp's chairman and CEO. Bitter rivalry ensued between the two men for the next two decades, leading to countless internal conflits and shadowruns. Knight managed to keep his edge over Aurelius for most of this time, although Aurelius did snatch away the chairman position in 2049.
Sixth World Almanac, page 61
[2043] June 2-UCAS: Damien Knight is reinstated as chairman of Ares.
[2049] March 4-UCAS: Leonard Aurelius ousts Damien Knight as chairman of the Ares board.
I'm not sure there are other sources on that topic. As a reminder, Leonard Aurelius left Ares Macrotechnology in 2059.

GiraffeShaman

• Omae
  • Devourer of Salads
« Reply #9 on: <08-01-13/1545:01> »
There's a larger and powerful gang run by Spider shamans in the Redmond Barrens. They are very big on hunting insect spirits and shamans, but they are far from nice. They are notorious for enslaving others against their will to go and fight insect spirits and shamans, using mental magics. They are mentioned in the Redmond section of the 3rd and 4th edition Seattle Guides.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-01-13/1609:56> »
Excellent, thank you Nath!

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-01-13/1613:06> »
here is another:

6) how does a dragon "become" a great dragon as Masaru did in 2042? I thought I saw that he was already a "great dragon" when he showed up in 2014?

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #12 on: <08-01-13/1614:19> »

Check out the Missions book for that info. There's is an entire Adventure hook that talks about the photos and those "in the know". Of course, being and adventure hook, it leaves the big questions unanswered, allowing you or your GM to fill in the blanks.

The Missions book was excellent. Just what I was looking for. Thanks, FastJack.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <08-01-13/1619:27> »
here is another:

Think Initiation, except on a scale* beyond the knowledge of Metahumanity.

*Yes, it's a pun. I couldn't resist.

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-01-13/2338:54> »
just saw the pun. i lol'd