NEWS

Has anyone tried Valiant Universe by Catalyst

• 5 Replies

halflingmage

• Chummer
« on: <02-04-16/2317:00> »
I picked up the core book on drivethrough after the Arcology Podcast had a real play of it.  Its very rules lite (four stats plus a luck number, and between two and five very loosely defined powers).  I think the core mechanic for resolving actions is basically sound, but system for damage is a hot mess and very inconsistent.  Some sample characters have attacks with fixed damage amounts, others roll dice, and the amounts are all over the place.

Also, the system is desperately in need of some mook/minionrules.  Even a basic mook like a regular soldier with a flack jacket can absorb stupid amounts of damage.  For example, X-O Manowar, a legendary level character who in the comics took on four other supers, including one of the most powerful psychics on the planet, and fought them basically to a standstill, would have to hit the soldier mentioned above 5 times to knock him out.  And he is supposed to be one of the most powerful beings on the planet. 

Another point of concern for me is powers that either prevent damage or heal damage.  Again, if you go through the example characters the numbers are incredibly inconsistent in how much damage can be healed or prevented. 

Has anyone come up with house rules or guildelines for any of this?  I like the basic idea, and love the comics, but some of the numbers seem to really need an overhaul.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-04-16/2344:06> »
You may wish to check out one of the forums devoted to that game; the answers to your questions might be there, or there may be some errata or houserules available.

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-04-16/2346:19> »
You may wish to check out one of the forums devoted to that game; the answers to your questions might be there, or there may be some errata or houserules available.

Googled for Forums and found none.  Can you direct me to some?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-16/0612:11> »
Try valiantfans.com
That website seems to be devoted to everything Valiant related; comics, CCG, etc.

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-16/1019:24> »
I haven't played it, but I have read through both its book as well as the first CGL game to use the Queue system: Cosmic Patrol. The game system, as you pointed out, is rules light. Go with the flow, play the game in a cinematic style, enjoy the time with friends are the approaches I would take to playing the game.
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <02-06-16/1117:41> »
I haven't played it, but I have read through both its book as well as the first CGL game to use the Queue system: Cosmic Patrol. The game system, as you pointed out, is rules light. Go with the flow, play the game in a cinematic style, enjoy the time with friends are the approaches I would take to playing the game.

i have no objection to a rules lite game, but when you go that route the rules that you do have need to be excellent.  i think the core mechanic is sound, but details on may characters are an ad hoc mess.  Rules as written Manowar's energy blast does no more damage than an assault rifle or a crossbow.  And a regular guy in an flack jacket can soak five direct hits before he goes down.  Meanwhile, a kid that can turn herself into animals can do more than 3 times that damage with a good roll by turning into a lion.  And why the heck does she get to roll a dice for damage, while others do a fixed amount?  No explanation is given.  Narrative and cimematic does not mean sloppy and inconsistant are ok.  This is amateurish work.