NEWS

Gun H(e)aven 3 Errata

• 65 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <01-15-14/0211:28> »
Gun H(e)aven 3 disagrees with you. Ranges are listed in the front, along with the relevant skill.
I do wish they had left that out. Machine Pistols I'd given up on, but this was a hair that looked like it would go without being split.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-15-14/2000:58> »
Then the GH3 book is probably wrong - I doubt they'd split the corebook sporting rifles into the sniper rifles and shotguns categories, and remove the specializations, only to later deliberately reintroduce sporting rifles.

Twilight

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <01-15-14/2350:42> »
Then the GH3 book is probably wrong - I doubt they'd split the corebook sporting rifles into the sniper rifles and shotguns categories, and remove the specializations, only to later deliberately reintroduce sporting rifles.

I agree.  At least I hope so.  There's no functional difference between the use of a sporting rifle and a sniper rifle (and effective ranges vary per weapon - not per general category but I'm fine with that abstraction).

Similarly, I've never really liked Shadowrun's Automatics skill either - machine pistols are pistols, assault rifles are longarms (not sure where SMGs should fall).  Their usage is much more similar to those categories than to each other.  I guess they just wanted a third non-heavy firearms skill for some reason.

mjack

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <01-16-14/0745:17> »
Similarly, I've never really liked Shadowrun's Automatics skill either - machine pistols are pistols, assault rifles are longarms (not sure where SMGs should fall).  Their usage is much more similar to those categories than to each other.  I guess they just wanted a third non-heavy firearms skill for some reason.
And automatic shotguns should require the Automatics skill to be used ... Anyways, easy to house-rule the assignments of weapons to a skill. A 3rd "non-heavy firearms skill" was necessary for the introduction of Skill Groups which in SR4 should at least and in SR5 do consist of 3 skills. Leastwise, that is the only reason I found.

In SR5 Core Book page 130 has an info box for "Substituting Skills". This rule can be effectively apllied for the use of firearms as well. For example with different modifiers depending on Fire Mode like Assault Riflle (SA) Longarms -1, (BF) -3 and (FA) -4 and Sniper Rifle (SS) Automatics -3 and (SA) -2 - or somthing like that.

Concerning the Specializations for the Longarms Skill I have no idea. Actually, the split of Longarms (Sniper Rifles) and (Shotguns) is all you need in SR5. I would have suggested something like (Bolt-Action), (Lever-Action) and (Semi-automatic) additionally to the both listed before. But, there is still a lack of firearms for this skill making this quite redundant.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <01-16-14/2329:29> »
A 3rd "non-heavy firearms skill" was necessary for the introduction of Skill Groups which in SR4 should at least and in SR5 do consist of 3 skills. Leastwise, that is the only reason I found.
What was wrong with putting heavy weapons in a skill group?

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #20 on: <01-22-14/0503:17> »
back on topic:
-Cavalier falchion shotgun is listed as having a smartlink. this should be a smartgun (the bonuses for smartgun are shown in the accuracy 5(7) )
-Shiawase arms Monsoon is listed as having an internal "smartlink", protected in its own housing. no accuracy bonus is applied to the stat line as per above, but its a bloody useless upgrade if it isn't actually supposed to be a smartgun.

come on guys, 38 pages isnt too much to read through before it gets published surely????
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #21 on: <01-22-14/1113:58> »
Can't help but notice that I and many others never noticed it either. Not sure why you're claiming it wasn't proofread.
« Last Edit: <01-22-14/1116:36> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #22 on: <01-22-14/1131:01> »
I saw it and I'm just some schmuck gamer, not pro-rules designer or proofreader
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <01-22-14/1139:07> »
So what does that make everyone who bought this and didn't notice?

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #24 on: <01-22-14/1145:28> »
Either less vocal about sloppy editing errors or less observant, perhaps both?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #25 on: <01-22-14/1223:28> »
So, just to be clear. You note an error that is really easy to miss, not just in similarity but also in the way people use the word wrong quite a lot without even realizing, something proven by the fact you're the first to notice, but insist that CanRay clearly did not put any effort into his proofreading, despite a total of a mere 5 errors posted so far, one in stats, one in his vs her, one with a weird run-on sentence and smartlink instead of smartgun twice, correct?

martinchaen

« Reply #26 on: <01-22-14/1259:28> »
My bet is on less vocal, like myself.

I noticed the smartlink descriptor on the Cavalier Falchion when I read it the first time, but figured it was just a typo given the smartgun system bonus.

I'm sure the book was proofread, just not enough. Then again, that's par for the course of any publication; these are not egregious errors that can't be fixed with a little bit of common sense (TM), so I for one didn't bother posting about it. There's that whole thing about the vocal minority, you know, Michael.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #27 on: <01-22-14/1435:52> »
I didn't notice it in the slightest.  My guys use smartlink and smartgun pretty interchangeably, simply because they both refer to the same system (albeit different parts of the system).  I absolutely didn't notice that the accuracy wasn't properly reflected on the Monsoon.

Pointing out errors is one thing.  But to insinuate laziness or inability because of a simple oversight is kind of a dick move.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #28 on: <01-22-14/1440:19> »
So, just to be clear. You note an error that is really easy to miss, not just in similarity but also in the way people use the word wrong quite a lot without even realizing, something proven by the fact you're the first to notice, but insist that CanRay clearly did not put any effort into his proofreading, despite a total of a mere 5 errors posted so far, one in stats, one in his vs her, one with a weird run-on sentence and smartlink instead of smartgun twice, correct?
I'm not trying to be arsey about it mate, but it popped right out the page at me first time I read it. In fact, every single mention of smartgun in the book is listed as smartlink, so its not exactly an isolated incident. Its not like smartguns/smartlinks are a new addition to the game either...
I'm appreciative of the new material as i'm sure we all are, just frustrates me that everything that seems to come out and require errata of some kind. I get it for a huge thing like a 450-500 page rule book,
but a low word count 38 page supplement I just wish didn't need one. Just daft little errors that could easily have been picked up by a decent proofreader.
just sayin.
« Last Edit: <01-22-14/1610:51> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <01-22-14/1606:10> »
If only there wasn't a history of this kind of thing with CGL, people might not be so touchy about it, on either side of the fence.

Personal attacks are out of line - and I'm not sure there is one here, but calling yet another proofreading/editing error out SHOULD be done.  They need to be fixed, and CGL needs to take more time to find them before printing/release.

Let's fix it, the trend, and then maybe it's a non-issue.

« Last Edit: <01-22-14/1608:48> by bigity »