NEWS

Tracer rounds - best ever or greatest ever?

• 47 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« on: <11-24-10/0123:43> »
So, I've never built a character using tracers.  I just didn't, since I thought that they did baseline damage and cost out the rears for the bonus they confer.

But then I really read the description.  They're loaded as every 3rd bullet only, (so the cost of 7.5¥/round isn't as bad,) and, therefore, they can be loaded with other types of ammunition.  So, loading tracers into a clip with Ex-Ex ammo will provide you with the full dice-pool benefits of tracers, the full damage benefit of Ex-Ex and even save you money in the process.   INSANE.

Want to stretch out that APDS ammo that took you months to acquire?  Throw some tracers in there.  Now you get +1 dice on short bursts +2 dice on long bursts and +3 dice on full auto bursts (for any burst traveling past short range, *Protip: use it in a machine pistol*) and your APDS will last you 33% longer!  

Sure, sometimes you've got to keep from being noticed, but other times, you've got to shoot a demonic tree in half with exploding bullets or just tear up the barrens a bit.  In these cases, tracers = win.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0140:30> by Kontact »

Bradd

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <11-24-10/0416:34> »
There are a couple of big caveats though:
... Non-smartgun users firing
tracer rounds receive a +1 dice pool modifier at all ranges beyond
Short
when firing a short burst, +2 when firing a long burst, and +3
when firing a full burst.

Seems like you're better off using a smartlink in general.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: <11-24-10/0428:48> »
Thats pretty much the bottom line my groups reached, too. We never encountered a situation where someone without even smartgun-equipped glasses/goggles got their hands on a fullauto(!) capable weapon loaded with tracers. Just not worth the hazzle if you ask me. Especially since now Smartgun doesn't have to be an implant to give you the +2 bonus.
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #3 on: <11-24-10/0504:14> »
It doesn't negate your smartlink bonus, it only replaces it whenever you use fullauto bursts at med+ ranges.

Meanwhile, it still saves you money on everything from stick-n-shock to Ex-Ex bursts.  I mean, it's not much, bit does help you water down the cost a little, even when you're not getting that 3rd die bonus.

If you plan to rock and roll on some one/thing, then tracers are pretty sweet.

Oh, and it's never mentioned as being incompatible with a laser sight or doing it up guns akimbo. ;)
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0517:05> by Kontact »

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <11-24-10/0508:09> »
The way I read it, using a Smartlink negates the bonus gained from tracers completely. So why throw away the much more versatile Smartlink and use tracers, which are only good when you spend 6 to 10 rounds on a target? Sure, it cuts down a little on ammo cost, but being better at hitting and killing the target does that, too ;)

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #5 on: <11-24-10/0630:23> »
The way I read it, using a Smartlink negates the bonus gained from tracers completely. So why throw away the much more versatile Smartlink and use tracers, which are only good when you spend 6 to 10 rounds on a target? Sure, it cuts down a little on ammo cost, but being better at hitting and killing the target does that, too ;)

load it into the machinegun on your truck? I know there's some disagreement over whether or not you can smart-link a remote-fired weapon, but you can certainly put in the tracer ammo. :)

Also, any weapon you plan on using primarily for suppressive fire, or is it just my team that likes to have an assortment of specialized weapons over a few very versatile ones?
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <11-24-10/0658:01> »
Well, since Smartlink includes a camera und the possibility to remote-fire the weapon, it would be pretty baseless to say remote-fired weapons can't be equipped with it, IMHO.

The only team we ever played who even needed to plan for supressing fire is our current MET2000 campaign team and even there smartgun is used over tracers. Supressive fire simply doesn't get used that often compared to normal attack shots/bursts.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #7 on: <11-24-10/0700:26> »
I don't have my book handy, so I assume that tracers don't specifically say that they don't effect the primary ammo's DV. Rather the logic is that the first bullet establishes the DV, AP etc and the next two in the burst just add +1 each. If that's the case, couldn't you save even more money replacing the second and third shot with normal old lead? Ah, found it, one type of ammo per clip except for tracers. Then again, the actual rule (SR4A 154) says its suggested for simplicity and while it clearly applies to clips its less clear about other ammo holders.
« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0706:11> by nomadzophiel »

Unisus

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <11-24-10/1317:33> »
Want to stretch out that APDS ammo that took you months to acquire?  Throw some tracers in there.  Now you get +1 dice on short bursts +2 dice on long bursts and +3 dice on full auto bursts (for any burst traveling past short range, *Protip: use it in a machine pistol*) and your APDS will last you 33% longer!  

Actually, as you have 1/3 tracers, your APDS would last 50% longer *smile*

As a drawback, tracers are not only seen by the one who uses them, so it can be risky to use them. On the other hand, there are situations where you want people to see your bullets fly. I remember that when i was in the "Bundeswehr", our instructor told us that you don´t have a real chance to shoot a helicopter with a MG, but using tracers (especially when it´s dark) you could just set up a wall of bullets the helicopter would surely avoid.

As i understand the rules, suppressive fire does not gain dice from tracers - while i think, that they should at least give small side effect advantages like encouraging people the more to keep theyr heads down or drawing the attention away from other actions.

Are there any infos about the use of tracers in the dark when one has low-light-vision?

Mäx

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-24-10/1336:29> »
I don't have my book handy, so I assume that tracers don't specifically say that they don't effect the primary ammo's DV. Rather the logic is that the first bullet establishes the DV, AP etc and the next two in the burst just add +1 each. If that's the case, couldn't you save even more money replacing the second and third shot with normal old lead? Ah, found it, one type of ammo per clip except for tracers. Then again, the actual rule (SR4A 154) says its suggested for simplicity and while it clearly applies to clips its less clear about other ammo holders.
There's an NPC in Ghost Cartels who has a gun loaded with capsule rounds containing 3 differend poisons loaded alternating and the books tells you to handle all poisons seperatly, while having a load out like that definitely doesn't save you money, it does make short burst pretty much guaranteed to kill anyone your shooting at with one burst.
"An it harm none, do what you will"

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #10 on: <11-24-10/1420:20> »
Howmany of you actually watched tracers being fired?

They are really cool to watch. Especially when they whizz off into space cause the WP burns... oddly! ::)

Wire me to teh gun but dont give me Tracers unless I'm trying to look cool while shooting & I want the enemy to know where I'm shooting from in neon streaks! ::)
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #11 on: <11-24-10/1427:58> »
Wire me to teh gun but dont give me Tracers unless I'm trying to look cool while shooting & I want the enemy to know where I'm shooting from in neon streaks! ::)
Hmm... put the automated minigun with tracers over there so the rigger (or just about anyone, it's got friggin' tracers!) can control it remotely, targets move to intercept...

AMBUSH!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #12 on: <11-24-10/1430:51> »
I don't want anything to be seen.  If I rig up an automated minigun (or, really, my rigger does) I don't want tracers.  I want that panic and fear as the enemy scrambles to find cover and the source of the gunfire.  Much more effective and satisfying that way.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <11-24-10/1433:23> »
I don't want anything to be seen.  If I rig up an automated minigun (or, really, my rigger does) I don't want tracers.  I want that panic and fear as the enemy scrambles to find cover and the source of the gunfire.  Much more effective and satisfying that way.
True, but you gotta admit that the tracers means they will head towards the gun... And then you can rig it with grenades & claymores when they get close enough!

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #14 on: <11-24-10/1603:33> »
True, but you gotta admit that the tracers means they will head towards the gun... And then you can rig it with grenades & claymores when they get close enough!
True.  True.  A valid strategy.  The sound alone would get them heading toward it.  Unless, of course, you had speakers set up to make it sound like multiple guns.  And then various gas grenades strewn about in the dark help cover the approach, especially those filled with Warp.  And a few random mines and grenades really help to ratchet up their fear and confusion.  Once everyone's all good and panicking, slip in through the hole you made in the wall on the opposite side of the building.   ;D