NEWS

Shapeshifter Armor??

• 53 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #15 on: <05-01-16/0329:41> »
Well, while it is not RAW if the shapeshifter is magically active beyond simply as a shifter I wouldn't bar something armored like an armor jacket that shifts with the critter coming out of the depths of Old Siberia that a magic user can bind to.
They are the shifter nation, right?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-01-16/0847:39> »
Armor that shifts with a player could theoretically be made.  Some sort of Spandex/Kevlar body suit with Armored plates on the chest, outer thighs, arms, ect.  How expensive and how effective are pure houserules.  As would be armor for an Animal form.

RAW, you're got the bag for most forms.  Although especially large or small animal forms even that probably doesn't work.

I think Armor should be available for animals, but you've got to make your own stats for the most part.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <05-01-16/0908:36> »
Spandex and Kevlar are pretty much mutually exclusive. Kevlar works by resisting stretching/ripping.

Nanotech would be your best bet, like the Altskin Armor from Chrome Flesh p. 153.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <05-01-16/1107:43> »
How expensive and how effective are pure houserules.  As would be armor for an Animal form.

RAW, you're got the bag for most forms.  Although especially large or small animal forms even that probably doesn't work.
Actually, looking at the rules, saying there's any sort of problem is the house rule. There are no listed limitations on armor fitting. Even disallowing a troll from wearing a dwarf's armored vest is a house rule as nothing in the rules mentions such a restriction. I believe it perfectly logical to disallow the troll from wearing the dwarf's vest, of course, but the logical thing is still the house rule.

Likewise, RAW does not limit fitting armor to forms. By RAW, the cost, availability, and effectiveness of armor for when you turn into a rhino is the same as list value for humans. Maybe you need to go through different channels, or get it custom made, but it's there.  Maybe that'll change with the critter book, maybe not.

Now, if you want to go into the realm of book armor being unavailable to animals, or being more expensive, or less effective, or being limited to a bag, or less available, that's your call and it's between you and your table, but that is the realm of house rules.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <05-01-16/1706:59> »
How expensive and how effective are pure houserules.  As would be armor for an Animal form.

Actually, looking at the rules, saying there's any sort of problem is the house rule. There are no listed limitations on armor fitting. Even disallowing a troll from wearing a dwarf's armored vest is a house rule as nothing in the rules mentions such a restriction. I believe it perfectly logical to disallow the troll from wearing the dwarf's vest, of course, but the logical thing is still the house rule.

Likewise, RAW does not limit fitting armor to forms. By RAW, the cost, availability, and effectiveness of armor for when you turn into a rhino is the same as list value for humans. Maybe you need to go through different channels, or get it custom made, but it's there.  Maybe that'll change with the critter book, maybe not.

Now, if you want to go into the realm of book armor being unavailable to animals, or being more expensive, or less effective, or being limited to a bag, or less available, that's your call and it's between you and your table, but that is the realm of house rules.

Fair point.  Off I go to put a suit of Ares Big Game Hunter on my Harley.  RAW doesn't ban Motorcycles from wearing Armor either.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-01-16/1800:23> »
Spandex and Kevlar are pretty much mutually exclusive. Kevlar works by resisting stretching/ripping.

Nanotech would be your best bet, like the Altskin Armor from Chrome Flesh p. 153.

I was thinking of whatever material that the Urban Explorer jump suit is made from.  That is all stretchy and bulletproof. 

It has to be no more than a days work to knock together something stretchy that can cover a Metahuman and a roughly metahuman sized Animal.  Then stick a few mock armor plates on it.  Let 'em shift back and forth a few times and make adjustments.  Bang out the real thing as a one-off custom suit.  Expensive as you'd need a day or seven of work from a decent armorer.  Plus materials.  But it certainly seems possible for some shifters.

Falcon, Equine and the like seem a bit unlikely coming from a regular human sized Meta type.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-01-16/1849:04> »
Fair point.  Off I go to put a suit of Ares Big Game Hunter on my Harley.  RAW doesn't ban Motorcycles from wearing Armor either.
You can interpret the rules that way, and if I'm GMing, I have absolutely no problem saying no and openly admitting it's a house rule.  Just like my prior mention that I'd likely double the base price is a houserule.  I might also up the availability, and I'd most likely make it take longer and be a custom job to get it, which are also houserules.

Achsin

« Reply #22 on: <05-02-16/1820:00> »
Any thoughts on how well an armored cloak would work for not having to worry about getting in/out of armor when changing forms? The armor value isn't great but it might work to give at least something and mitigate the "where's my pants" factor.

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <05-02-16/1823:26> »
Certainly better than nothing,  Though you'd probably need a teammate to retie it once you turn into an animal, and if you go too much bigger or smaller, it probably wouldn't help.

Achsin

« Reply #24 on: <05-02-16/1829:35> »
If you are shifting to a larger form I can see being able to loosen it to the right size before you shift and then tightening it up again when you come back. Shifting to a smaller size would be harder without help (unless it could auto-adjust somehow).

&#24525;

« Reply #25 on: <05-03-16/1146:04> »
If you are shifting to a larger form I can see being able to loosen it to the right size before you shift and then tightening it up again when you come back. Shifting to a smaller size would be harder without help (unless it could auto-adjust somehow).
Like some certain future shoe laces?? ;)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <07-23-16/0659:55> »
"Clear!"

*Applies Paddles to Thread*

Okay so just got Howling Shadows and was skimming the Drake Rules from p. 165

"Shifting into dracoform causes a certain degree of
body growth, not to mention the appearance of a tail
and sometimes wings. This can play havoc with clothing
and armor. Some drakes opt for less restrictive clothing
while others have their clothing specially tailored with
magnetic flps and size-adjusting gusseting. Such adjustments increase the cost of the armor or clothing by
10%. "

Seems to me that as long as your Animal and Metahuman forms are similar in Mass you're good to go here, subject to GM approval. 

Bear to Troll.  Wolf to Human.  Tiger to Gnome.  Okay maybe not Tiger to Gnome.  But Dog to Gnome. 

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <07-23-16/1505:36> »
Remember, though, that Drakes are still roughly humanoid in shape in their dracoform. Armor designed for humanoids tends to focus on the chest and back, because those are the largest parts of the body most open to getting shot. When you are dealing with any quadruped, though, the most vulnerable parts are on the sides, and the arrangement of limbs is different. And when you get into other animals, such as birds, serpents, or anything aquatic...

So while a Western Drake may be able to get their lined coat to work with their dracoform, a wolf shifter would find a lined coat cumbersome, at best.

Now, you CAN make armor for their shifted form (they have armor for K9 dogs, after all), but that's another kettle of fish.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <07-23-16/2025:05> »
Again, up to the GM, but you're sprouting Wings, a Tail, Armored Scales, and putting on some undefined amount of mass.  If these changes can be accommodated I'm not sure why Man to Wolf or Troll to Bear would be so incredibly different.  YMMV though. 

&#24525;

« Reply #29 on: <07-23-16/2154:16> »
"Clear!"

*Applies Paddles to Thread*
Haha +1

You could easily just make either people-armor or pet armor at 20% for awkward forms and reduce the armor rating when shifted for some balance.