NEWS

Quick trodes question

• 7 Replies

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« on: <01-11-16/2215:07> »
Can't find it anywhere in the searched threads, but if I have trodes (and they are connected to my commlink), this grants me full DNI interaction with the matrix without needing Image/sound links and AR gloves right? Or does it just grant me access but I need the other stuff to interact?

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-16/2222:01> »
Core pg 222, Direct Neural Interface sidebar
A direct neural interface, or DNI, connects your brain to electronic devices. Direct neural interface (along with a sim module) is required for VR use, but DNI is also useful for AR in that you don’t need any additional gear like earbuds or an image link to see or hear augmented reality objects.
How do you sign up? You get DNI by wearing trodes, or having an implanted datajack, commlink, or cyberdeck. And if you’re using a sim module along with your DNI, you can get a sort of “super AR mode” where you can also feel, smell, and taste your AR experience.
With nothing but a standard issue Commlink and a set of Trodes, you can replace Image Link and Sound Link. If you add in the Sim Module (basically like adding a high end graphics card to your PC) then you add the other 3 senses.
« Last Edit: <01-11-16/2224:08> by Marcus Gideon »
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <01-11-16/2223:07> »
Yes, trodes give you full DNI as the information is transmitted directly into your brain and you manipulate it through your brain too. No need for additional equipment.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-11-16/2343:55> »
Awesome, that's what I thought. Thanks!

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-14-16/2235:43> »
Another question on trodes. What's your thoughts of putting them into goggles? Goggles wrap around your head and have the capacity so I was thinking this could work (the character Doesn't use them much, and only has flare comp in the goggles).

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #5 on: <01-14-16/2359:31> »
Technically, Trodes are an evolved form of the EEG headnets. But the books do say that they can be a full net, or just a headband. So they're not getting into the placement or anything very strictly.

So I could see that working, and it wouldn't even necessarily use up Capacity on your goggles. That capacity is measuring Visual mods you can get installed. In this case, you're not talking about adding anything to the lenses, you're just using the Trode headband as the strap to hold them on your face.

The downside being that if someone yanks off your Goggles, you lose DNI at the same time. Although that is a problem with Trodes in general, which is why hacker types usually bite the bullet and get a Datajack implanted.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <01-15-16/0544:58> »
I'll throw in a related question.

Can you use a Simrig without trodes?  What does a simrig look like, and can it be stylish like how trodes can be hats?
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-15-16/0637:15> »
Can you use a Simrig without trodes?  What does a simrig look like, and can it be stylish like how trodes can be hats?
3e, they were trodes. I think they might just be some innocuous hardware attachment, now. I still imagine them like this.