NEWS

www.shadowrunsixthworld.com - counter.

• 166 Replies

忍

« Reply #60 on: <06-25-19/0338:36> »
My current theory is that the Foundation fell through because of the deaths of the TMs. And normally when a number of deaths happen in an event, a wave rolls through the astral.

Something's rocking the boat.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #61 on: <06-25-19/0353:10> »
From the Podcasts by Opti, Ziggy, and Deniable Assets it sounds like a Terror is about to escape. Crawlers have been spotted too
Sounds like an army-corps got taken over by the Terrors and we're now getting Eldritch Horror entities.

Hm... I just realised a mistake in our terminology. We call them Terrors because of the book "Dark Terrors", but Dark Terrors is more than those: The Dark Terrors are Bug Spirits, Shedim, the Black Lodge, Monads/CFD, The Hidden Faction in the Seelie Court, Followers of the Elder God, Dwellers of the Deep Foundation and The Ghoul Queen and Her People.

As for what we call 'Terrors', they're identified as Elder Gods.

Quote from: p78 Forbidden Arcana
Titans, Old Ones, primordial entities—whatever term you use, these Elder Gods
Quote from: p102 Dark Terrors
We discussed the worship of so-called Elder Gods in the Forbidden Arcana download

I do prefer the term Terror though. :P It's a nice reference to the old term that's no longer legal to use by Catalyst. So I'm going to keep using it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #62 on: <06-25-19/0405:28> »
The only reason why I called them Terrors was Horrors are a part of Earthdawn, a link to SR that was supposed to be cut. So that’s why I went for that term or Elder Gods as a nod to Lovecraft.

(I love all the Threats, Threats 2, Dark Terrors, and Horrors (including the second and was there a third book) sourcebooks)
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #63 on: <06-25-19/0410:38> »
For what it's worth, I use "Terrors" personally. Elder Gods, as noted, is way too Lovecraft for moi.

Can't speak for other writers tho.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #64 on: <06-25-19/0414:23> »
For what it's worth, I use "Terrors" personally. Elder Gods, as noted, is way too Lovecraft for moi.

Nemo

• Newb
« Reply #65 on: <06-25-19/0418:34> »
From the Podcasts by Opti, Ziggy, and Deniable Assets it sounds like a Terror is about to escape. Crawlers have been spotted too
Sounds like an army-corps got taken over by the Terrors and we're now getting Eldritch Horror entities.

Hm... I just realised a mistake in our terminology. We call them Terrors because of the book "Dark Terrors", but Dark Terrors is more than those: The Dark Terrors are Bug Spirits, Shedim, the Black Lodge, Monads/CFD, The Hidden Faction in the Seelie Court, Followers of the Elder God, Dwellers of the Deep Foundation and The Ghoul Queen and Her People.

As for what we call 'Terrors', they're identified as Elder Gods.

Quote from: p78 Forbidden Arcana
Titans, Old Ones, primordial entities—whatever term you use, these Elder Gods
Quote from: p102 Dark Terrors
We discussed the worship of so-called Elder Gods in the Forbidden Arcana download

I do prefer the term Terror though. :P It's a nice reference to the old term that's no longer legal to use by Catalyst. So I'm going to keep using it.

Is that official, Horrors now replaced by Elder Gods? I saw both Terror and Elder Gods in the ToC of Streetpedia (which I didn't buy).

Terror is a better name ;)
« Last Edit: <06-25-19/0420:07> by Nemo »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #66 on: <06-25-19/0421:17> »
Yeah, because it was either that or never reference them again (since different IP, different company). The term was already replaced in Forbidden Arcana, and then Dark Terrors went into more detail what they're up to. They're trying to corrupt magicians and weaken thresholds and whatnot.

If you encounter one of their servants: Kill on sight, disintegrate the corpse, burn down all their belongings and track down if any mage they know is a bit wonkers in the head now. Repeat until there's nothing left to burn.

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #67 on: <06-25-19/0444:25> »
I both like and dislike the use of Elder Gods. It shouldn't be official, but I can totally see in-world Lovecraft fans using it to describe these new otherworldly horrors. It might catch on. At the same time, I definitely don't want the Horrors to be replaced with actual Lovecraftian Elder Gods.

I believe they've also been called the Others, which is vague and abstract, but I'm fine with that too. It emphasizes that they're very different things from the usual spirits, insect spirits, shedim and whatever.

tenchi2a

• Chummer
« Reply #68 on: <06-25-19/0521:46> »
Horrors, Terrors, what ever you want to call them.
I personal feel that it is way to early for them in the shadowrun universe.
They are way to powerful for anyone one outside of the dragons, or Harlequin to handle.
They were overpowering for the Earthdawn that was hundreds of years more powerful with magic.
We are talking about a world where all player characters are adepts or mages at there least powerful.
Most Horrors would be more then a match for a military companies let alone a Shadowrunning group.
But again that's going by the Earthdawn rules so who knows.
I only hope they don't belittle the Horrors by making them just another encounter type.

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #69 on: <06-25-19/0552:18> »
My current theory is that the Foundation fell through because of the deaths of the TMs. And normally when a number of deaths happen in an event, a wave rolls through the astral.

Something's rocking the boat.

Sorry, I'm still struggling with the terminology. What is the Foundation?

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #70 on: <06-25-19/0711:10> »
Sorry, I'm still struggling with the terminology. What is the Foundation?
Isn't that the new (SR5) basis of the Matrix, built upon abused technomancers so it exists independent from actual physical infrastructure.

It sounded like a terrible idea when I first read about it, and exactly not the kind of thing corporations should want, so it's always been a bit of a mystery to me why they went that route. So if that's going to chance, I'm fine with that, though I'd prefer them to retcon it rather than legitimise an in-game reason to change it.

Horrors, Terrors, what ever you want to call them.
I personal feel that it is way to early for them in the shadowrun universe.
They are way to powerful for anyone one outside of the dragons, or Harlequin to handle.
They were overpowering for the Earthdawn that was hundreds of years more powerful with magic.
We are talking about a world where all player characters are adepts or mages at there least powerful.
My Earthdawn group has killed two Horrors, I think. It's never easy (though horrors exist in wildly varying power levels), but with the right prep, it's doable.

Most Horrors would be more then a match for a military companies let alone a Shadowrunning group.
But again that's going by the Earthdawn rules so who knows.
I only hope they don't belittle the Horrors by making them just another encounter type.
I agree they shouldn't belittle them; every single Horror should be a major adversary and not a simple kill in a single encounter. But if it's possible to kill Horrors in Earthdawn, it should certainly be possible in Shadowrun. Keep in mind that in Shadowrun, even Great Dragons are dying at an alarming rate. Horrors are significantly less powerful than Great Dragons (with one notable exception). There are a lot more, though, and they can be incredibly subtle. They don't want to kill you, they want to feed of your misery, and there's plenty of that in the Sixth World.

The main reason why they should be incredibly careful with Horrors is that there's no way back. Once they come, they will continue to keep coming for a couple of centuries, and society will be unrecognisably changed. So if they use them, it should be the occasional single Horror, not a flood of them.

In fact, I believe that canonically, one or two Horrors have already shown up in the Sixth World. In some novel, I believe.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #71 on: <06-25-19/0821:33> »
In fact, I believe that canonically, one or two Horrors have already shown up in the Sixth World. In some novel, I believe.
Worlds Without End by Caroline Spector.
Harlequinn's Back is an adventure book that takes the runners in the metaplanes and showcases Terrors as a big bad.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #72 on: <06-25-19/0825:48> »
“Spider” from Secrets of Power weren’t a Horror. Shadow Spirits could be considered very minor Horrors as they feed on misery.

As for major ones I cannot really recall any. >>edit: ops, forgot those in connection to Harlequin.

Smoking Mirror could either be a Horror or a Horror-Tainted dragon for all we know, though the Horror Cult was supposedly purged from Aztechnology.

Now it seems one under Chicago, or at least on the American continent is about to escape/be set free. Now, what are the dragons doing about it?
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #73 on: <06-25-19/0837:46> »
Smoking Mirror could either be a Horror or a Horror-Tainted dragon for all we know, though the Horror Cult was supposedly purged from Aztechnology.
I'm still way behind on some of the lore. Who is Smoking Mirror? I've heard a rumour that there might be a horror or horror-construct at the heart of Aztechnology. Is that it? What happened to it?

Now it seems one under Chicago, or at least on the American continent is about to escape/be set free. Now, what are the dragons doing about it?
I guess I'm going to have to get Dark Terrors for that one?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #74 on: <06-25-19/0852:31> »
Dark Terrors references 'what happened in Chicago' a bit, but I think that's mostly bug-related. The government was close to nuking the place (Chicago Missions finale) due to a Bug Dragon and an artefact that meant to attune the entire place and put up a shield. Had runners (SRM players) not succeeded in taking out the dragon and artefact, Chicago would be either a wasteland or a bug-hive behind a magical barrier (SRM-08-06).