NEWS

Hacker Bullet ?

• 13 Replies

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« on: <04-24-12/2252:36> »
I was just sitting down wondering if there is a bullet in shadowrun that you should shoot at electronic optical relay. it would attach to the device and create a optical link that you could communicate to with it in line of sight ?

Thinking that would be interesting to use to get in to a network during a shadowrun mission if there is a jammer that you can't find.

Such as a shadowrun team need to take out the security cams in the building before they get in but there is a jammer they can't find or the building does not let wireless signals in or out. The teams sniper could use this find some electronic ex a camera shoot this at it then the hacker using a optical relay hacks in to the network but as I said it would all have to be line of sight.

Does that kind of tech exist in shadowrun ?
or could it be built ?

I think it would look alot sleeker in shadowrun.
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <04-25-12/0046:00> »
Hate to say it but the bullet would just smash through the device/line. Not to mention the physical stress and heat from being fired would probably fry the electronics needed to do what you want. Also due to the size constraints, it's signal rating would be on the scale of an RFID tag (a few meters max).

That said, there are drones that do the same job of hacking into a line/camera and allows a techno/hacker access to the feed. Easier then trying to hit a tiny tiny target with a bullet and better effects for signal too!

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #2 on: <04-25-12/0329:03> »
Check out Nanite Intruders, Augmentation page 116.
Put the 'sticky gel' they're deployed with in a capsule round and there you go. They can be programmed for a bunch of stuff, the Activators being what you're looking for: they open a device to unrestricted wireless access.

The picture you posted is actually a 12 gauge Stick 'n Shock round, afaik.

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #3 on: <04-25-12/0513:39> »
Hate to say it but the bullet would just smash through the device/line. Not to mention the physical stress and heat from being fired would probably fry the electronics needed to do what you want. Also due to the size constraints, it's signal rating would be on the scale of an RFID tag (a few meters max).

That said, there are drones that do the same job of hacking into a line/camera and allows a techno/hacker access to the feed. Easier then trying to hit a tiny tiny target with a bullet and better effects for signal too!

About the signal rating. If its a optical relay i think as long as the laser could reach it that it should be fine on the signal thing.

Also what about the tracer rounds that put a tracer tag on things ?
--Is today the day you thought about doing something, or the day you did something?--

--We cheat Death from his rightful victory. No one can defeat us we are glad to plunge feet first into hell in the knowledge that we will rise.--

Basic

• Ace Runner
  • the game is rigged
« Reply #4 on: <04-25-12/0515:44> »
The picture you posted is actually a 12 gauge Stick 'n Shock round, afaik.

I know its just the closet thing to what it might look like.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <04-25-12/0521:41> »
In Unwired you have microtapper bugs (microdrones) who do that.  And you can modify other drones to do the same thing if you need, for instance, a flying drone for that.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

DoubleTap

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-25-12/0600:56> »

About the signal rating. If its a optical relay i think as long as the laser could reach it that it should be fine on the signal thing.

Also what about the tracer rounds that put a tracer tag on things ?
[/quote]

thats basically a RFID.    Anyways youd be better off using a minidrone to install a tap.. 
always Double Tap.
I'm a engineer if I cant fix it I can damn sure break it. (SSG Brown 12B osut instructor)

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <04-25-12/0848:13> »
Sling shot/Bow.  Note that an arrow makes for a pretty good antenna.

bangbangtequila

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-25-12/1339:21> »
That is a great idea! I should make liberal use of it for Thorn...

I would imagine it's possible, especially if it's just an optical relay. Those suckers are a) incredibly tough (cybereyes are fifty times as complex and can withstand combat stress) b) very compact (again - cybereyes demonstrate how they could be miniaturized). Integrating a specialized nanite system to connect the relay to the network in question would make this quite the hacker tool. Of course, for things like cameras, I would rather just use a HERF gun...

_Pax_

« Reply #9 on: <05-01-12/1636:12> »
I was just sitting down wondering if there is a bullet in shadowrun that you should shoot at electronic optical relay. it would attach to the device and create a optical link that you could communicate to with it in line of sight ?
What you want are Capsule rounds, filled with one or another hacker nanite colony, in a gel suspension.

If you just want to be able to go "pop" with a gun, and have a camera to look out of?  Fill the capsule rounds with Nanospy.  Pop, splat, count to ten, bingo there's your camera.

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <05-01-12/1907:59> »

What you want are Capsule rounds, filled with one or another hacker nanite colony, in a gel suspension.

If you just want to be able to go "pop" with a gun, and have a camera to look out of?  Fill the capsule rounds with Nanospy.  Pop, splat, count to ten, bingo there's your camera.

I like this idea, *Yoink*

_Pax_

« Reply #11 on: <05-01-12/1909:39> »
^_^

Raventrickster

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <05-01-12/2011:04> »
Although at 7,000Y a shot that's a bit pricey  :-\

_Pax_

« Reply #13 on: <05-01-12/2042:16> »
Definitely not cheap - even Hacker nanites cost 1K times their rating (and are nominall designed for hacking cybernetics, but should easily to extrapolate to other uses).

But, it would WORK.  :)