NEWS

[IC] Umbrae Europae (Chapter 2) - Running Coyote

• 358 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #345 on: <05-16-17/0400:48> »
[spoiler]
Rex will reckless cast a F3 Increase Reflexes (sustained by his health focus)
Increase Reflexes: 12d6t5 2 [12d6t5=3, 3, 4, 1, 5, 4, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4, 5]
+1d6 +2 Ini Ini + dice: 1d6+2 8 - just enough for an additional pass at 2
Drain resist: 21d6t5 4
Take 1 Stun
Rex' Ini goes down 1 point for wound mod 1
Still 1 ini point left for last action

Spirits action at 11 - delay for new instructions to 4. (his Ini changes through manifesting to 18(Manifesting action ) down to 8 down to 4
Act on 4
Spirit uses Influence power on one one of the attackers - "Withdraw, you aren't payed enough to risk your life like this"
Influence: 12d6t5 3
Resisted with Wil+Log by Thug no.2

Defense inside a car gains +4 cover but has -2 for cramped space  (p.205 core)
Rex defense: Defense: 15d6t5 5
Avoid attack.

Last Pass: Casting Shape Change into Great Cat with 6 reagents at Force 3 replacing previous sustained Shape Change
Shapechange: 13d6t5 4[13d6t5=2, 5, 3, 2, 1, 5, 2, 5, 6, 4, 2, 3, 1]
Use successes to bring all physical Attributes to 6
Drain: Drain resist: 21d6t5 6
Technically Rex gains an additional Ini die, but that's not enough to gain another action.
No Drain

[/spoiler]

While Rex hit on the floor from the hail of bullets, he cast in quick succession two spells, using the stored energy of some of the small crystals he carried in his side pockets.
He felt the mana burn him as he enhanced his reaction speed but it was a minor concern as he once again took on the form of the puma.
The Kami meanwhile had had time enough to ponder the situation and called out with the most reasonable tone you could imagine to the mind of one of the bodyguards: 'This is a very dangerous situation, you should go. You aren't payed nearly enough to risk your life like this.'
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #346 on: <05-16-17/1600:56> »

Being in VR was a perk most of the times, especially when bullets started flying. The added perk was pain being shut down.
"They will regret going against us..."

[spoiler]I am in VR, so I cannot dodge; i hope the van is sturdy enough. The bodyguard should use the "shooting through a barrieri rule"?
However, my drones will keep firing.
I will brute force the Chopper to get 1 mark: A 5(6)/S 2/D 3/F 5, running Agent, Virtual Machine, Decryption, Baby Monitor.
Teamwork test from Deck: 12d6t5 4
Brute force on Chopper: 17d6t5 6
Next turn:
Initiative: 5d6+3 21
 [/spoiler]
«Never, ever, cut a deal with a dragon.»

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #347 on: <05-17-17/0357:52> »
[spoiler]
@Haywire yes we'll use the shooting through barrier rule, which gives a defense of roll of 6d (as I forgot the malus to the bodyguard rolls) to try to reduce the number of net hits. Once you have rolled that, and if there is still enough hits for your character to be hit, we'll go through the barrier. Hopefully, as you only need 3 hits, you may be able to dodge (especially if you can still post edge the roll). If you roll less than three hits, please roll a soak test for the vehicle (Body + (Armor - 2)) - and then your own soak roll, in case the Mystery Machine can't stop the shot.

Below I'll assume that Waywalker somehow survives and moves forward with your actions.

Sidenote: you often uses teamwork from an Agent to get MARKs - which I'm fine with, but I don't think this RAW nor RAI. Indeed, discussing about sharing MARKs between decker and agent, and technos and sprite, in a recent thread, somebody pointed out that MARK *cannot* be shared between a Decker and its Agents (same for technos and sprite). So it seems unlikely that an Agent could help a Decker get a MARK. But no worries, we have allowed during the all game, so no last minute change. Just keep in mind, to clarify that, if you build a decker and jump on an other game...

[/spoiler]

For the rigger, inert inside the van, the bodyguard's shot was a close shot, but Waywalker does not let that deter his will to fight and survivre. Still deep in VR, the hacker throw all his got to the Plutocrat's icon, trying to get a MARK on it at all cost.

[spoiler]
Note that the chopper is running on Saeder Krupp grid, so I'll give it an extra 2d (as you did not know and include the -2d to your own dice pool):
Johannes chopper resist brute force attack: 10d6t5 3

I assume you also want to use it to inflicts one ("If you wish, you may also inflict 1 DV of Matrix damage to the target for every two full net hits, if thetarget can take Matrix damage, which is resisted with the target’s Device Rating + Firewall"):

Chopper resist matrix damage: 8d6t5 1

Sadly, it resisted (barely) the one damage.

[/spoiler]

The flow of invalid data and agressive request flying from Waywalker's persona quickly finds a weakness in the helicopter defenses, giving the decker the "in" he was desperatly going. Diving thru the device matrix echo, the decker also to try to run as much chaos as possible, but the Saeder Krupp runs a tight ship, and their chopper is already patched against many of the vulnearabilities the decker tries to exploit.

[spoiler]Johannes Bodyguard resist Influence from Rex's spirit: 7d6t5 1[/spoiler]

In the meantime, in the meatspace, the Bodyguard behind a pile of junk, who just shoot at Rex, suddenly hit the dirt and take cover, mutterring to himself:

"Frag this! I'm not pay enough for this shit !"

In the meantime, Rex hears metal screeching behind him - something just open, or actually tored apart the backdoors of the Van

[spoiler]

So now, third pass:

(??) Most likely Waywalker's drone - still on suppressing fire.
(3) Bodyguards next action: one ducks and hides, under Influence, the other one apparently does nothing (nothing as obvious as shooting at you)
(1) Spirit of Man's action - @Jack_Spade if I'm not mistaken, Spirit may have an other action, right ?

Now, let's do the new turn initiative order - I'm keeping the initiative of everybody, expect Rex's because it changed some much this turns, I don't know what is its current value :) - I also may need the one from Waywalker drone, unless they keep spraying bullets.

(??) Most likely Waywalker's drone - if they stop their fire, but their actions would be then dealt with after Waywalker directive.
(??) Most likely Rex
(23) Bodyguards next action
(23) Whoever/whatever is ripping apart the back of the Mystery Machine
(21) Spirit of Man's action - waits on Rex
(21) Waywalker next move
(3) Johannes in full defense

Johannes Initiative: 1d6+8 13
Whoever/whatever is ripping apart the Mystery Machine: 2d6+15 23

[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #348 on: <05-17-17/0508:19> »
[spoiler]
The spirit of man will try and convince (i.e. influence) the other attacker as well:
Influence: 12d6t5 6
Guard Resist: 7d6t5 2

Yeah, I need a clean restart for my Ini: Rea 6+Int 9 +2 Spell +3d6= Ini Round 2: 17+3d6 32 [3d6=3, 6, 6]

Rex uses his first action to power up some more: Releasing defending spirit and channeling another:
Spirit of Air F6
Summoning F6 Spirit of Air: 11d6t5 2
Spirit resist: 6d6t5 1
Drain resist: 21d6t5 7

So, no drain, but only one service.
Physical Attributes increase to 9

Ini after Summoning is 25

I assume that ripping off the doors is a complex action, so Rex will be able to charge whatever appears there

But just in case it's necessary: If the thing acts before Rex he'll go full defense
9 Rea + 9 Int + 12 Cha (Too pretty to hit) -2 for cramped conditions
Just in Case: Full Defense: 38d6t5 14

After that it's charging time:
AGI 9+Skill 8 + 1 Quality + 2 Charge (- longer reach if applicable)
Charge: 20d6t5 2 [20d6t5=1, 1, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 1, 3, 6, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2, 1, 4, 4, 3, 4]
I am somewhat underwhelmed...
On the plus side: The Air spirit has it's elemental Aura (Electricity) active, so direct contact to Rex' fur will be a very shocking experience

@Teamwork Agents:
belaran is correct that you can't share MARKs but you can still teamwork to create them, but only the leader of the group gets them. That's usually only relevant if you have to enter a host though.

[/spoiler]

Rex felt the satisfaction of the Kami who had been able to convince both humans to stop attacking the team. Now only the thing outside the car remained.
With barely a conscious thought, Rex released the contract that bound the Kami to him. A short 'Thanks for all your help' was all he could muster before he once again opened up himself to the other world: 'I welcome you, reveered daughter of the clashing clouds, find me as your vessel to once again taste the mortal world.'

Rex felt as the power flowed into him, the resistance was minimal even though he himself was distracted by pain and the incessant droning of the drones' guns.
It felt as if an electrical current raced through his limbs, hardening his muscles but also making them twitch even faster than before. Flashes of electricity began to arc across his body and made his fur stay up where it wasn't covered. Miniscule thunderclaps rolled across him as he stood ready to receive the last attacker.

<<Be ready, Waywalker. It's time for thunder,  Thunder, THUNDER, THUNDER CAT Ho!>>
« Last Edit: <05-17-17/0514:38> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #349 on: <05-17-17/0525:01> »
[spoiler]
I assume that ripping off the doors is a complex action, so Rex will be able to charge whatever appears there

Ripping apart happened during last pass, of the previous round. Also you simply not looking in this direction, so you need to either spent a Simple Action (Observe in Details) to check what is happening behind you or turn around (keep your action, but now not being aware of what is happening in front of you).

Also, what are you charging on ? The whatever behind you ? Or ? :)

On Teamwork with Agents, is this written somewhere explicitly ? It does make sort of sense the way you are describing it, but not sure all GMs would see it this way and allow it...

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <05-17-17/0536:51> by belaran »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #350 on: <05-17-17/0541:03> »
[spoiler]
Ah, I see. So whoever it is gets the first shot in, but yes, Rex is ready for a beat down with whatever it is. Just remove two dice from my attack if there is no more space to charge (not like there are any excess successes floating around)

Rex will do his third pass at 5 - hopefully with more successes

[/spoiler]
talk think matrix

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #351 on: <05-17-17/0838:12> »
Before being dismissed, the Spirit of Man whispers in the other bodyguard mind. The heavily augmented man, who was aiming to make a kill shot against Rex, suddenly stops and duck for cover, before yelling to his employer M.Johannes:

Sir ! I don't think we can beat them, we should fallback !

[spoiler]I'm not sure how long the Influence effect can be maintained after the Spirit disappear, but I would say at least this combat turn, so no action from the bodyguards, short for this one trying to convince Johannes to run away instead of killing you.

Now, next turn:

(32) Rex releases the Spirit of Man and Summon a Spirit of Air F6
(25) Spirit of Air - awaits for order
(23) Bodyguards are influenced and taking cover
(23) Whoever/whatever is ripping apart the back of the Mystery Machine
(21) Waywalker next move

So here comes the "whatever"...
[/spoiler]

After summoning a new Kami, Rex prepares immediately to jump on whatever his tearing through the doors behind. As he gaze turns in the direction of the back of the van, he can now see a made of pure fire, holding, in his firing fist, two melting piece of metal, that used to be part of the Mystery Machine replica.

The spirit has no real face, just a vaguely round head, sitting in the middle of a giant flame, but Rex can feel the gaze of the otherworldly critter into his eyes, even more into his body, even his soul !

[spoiler]

Fire Spirit tries to scare Rex away: 12d6t5 3

@Jack_Spade can you roll your Logic + Willpower to resist the Fear power of the Spirit ?

@Waywalker: you are next ! If the drones are doing something else than sustaining their suppressing fire, please roll their initiative!

[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #352 on: <05-17-17/0911:03> »
[spoiler]
Influence isn't sustained, it's an Instant Power so endures even after the spirit is gone  :)

Resist Fear: 11d6t5 2
Spending Edge for Reroll: [11d6t5=5, 2, 4, 4, 2, 4, 3, 4, 6, 4, 1]
Resist Fear (Edge Reroll): 9d6t5 3

The channeled Air Elemental gets no action since Rex stays in control but it still has to make its fear check Resist Fear: 12d6t5 7
Yeah, no problem.

Ok, change of plans than (no Full defense necessary since you can't dodge fear   ;) )

Actions for second pass

Acting on Ini 25:

Why does it always have to be fire with fire aura  ;D
Force 12 Lightning Bolt at Fire Elemental
F12 Lightning Bolt: 14d6t5 6
Phew, almost Physical Drain
Resist 6 S Drain:
Resist Drain: 21d6t5 6
No Drain

Fire spirits get 16 defense dice
Defense: 16d6t5 6
Glancing blow - but since it's an electrical attack, it still has to resist the base damage:
12 P(e)
Soak: 7d6t5 3 [7d6t5=5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5]

Spirit takes 9 damage and loses 3 more Ini, falling down to Ini 10

[/spoiler]

Rex felt the icy terror, trying to grip his heart using the instinctive fear of fire that all animals possess. Only the presence of the Cloud Kami saved him from giving in to the dread of being burned alive. The Kami shielded his pain away from him and kept him sane... relatively speaking.
Rex couldn't say what prompted him to call that much mana into him, but suspected that a part of the Kami's personality had bled into him at that moment.
In any case all the little popping lightning strikes across his body collected for a moment around his snout before a lance of pure white, agonizingly bright lightning broke loose. The fire elemental dodged aside but couldn't avoid a tendril of electricity earthing itself through it's fiery plasma.
Rex' flash compensators had darkened instantly, preventing him from going blind. A coppery taste filled his mouth and little tendrils of smoke escaped his nostrils...

« Last Edit: <05-21-17/0654:11> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #353 on: <05-17-17/1453:04> »
[spoiler]As far as I know two personas (ie. me and my Agent) can teamwork to get the first MARK, through sleaze or attack. Why should that be incorrect (I'm asking out of curiosity) ?[/spoiler]

The hail of bullets stopped between the sturdy van and Waywalker's armor. The few bruises did not stop Waywalker from hacking the chopper of doublecrossers...

[spoiler]defense: 6d6t5 1
vehicle absorbs the hit: 23d6t5 11
Waywalker Soak: 15d6t5 5
(No damage in either case)
A 5(6)/S 3(4)/D 3/F 4, running Agent, Virtual Machine, Decryption, Stealth.
Brute force on Chopper: 13d6t5 6
Having two MARKS, I'll use Control Device to fire any of the guns of the chopper on the Johnson
Using Chopper Gun: 13d6t5 4
[/spoiler]

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #354 on: <05-19-17/1025:16> »
[spoiler]@Haywire: sorry for the delay, and sorry there is no weapon on the chopper. It's a regular, but luxurious, transportation chopper. If there was weapon, those would have also been used against you two.[/spoiler]

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #355 on: <05-20-17/0421:55> »
[spoiler]In this case, I would like to lock the doors of the chopper.[/spoiler]

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #356 on: <05-21-17/0947:32> »
[spoiler]
Chopper resist second MARK: 10d6t5 4 - Waywalker got his second MARK !
Chopper resist matrix damage: 8d6t5 2 -Chopper resists (again barely) matrix damage
[/spoiler]

Deploying all his attack software in the matrix, Waywalker secures himself a second MARK on the chopper. Ignorant of the decker action, M.Johannes decides to run to safety to the chopper, despite the suppressing fire of the drones. Keeping his head low, the ork bolt toward the chopper's door, for now still open.

[spoiler]
Johannes runs toward the chopper under suppressing fire (pre-edged): 12d6t5 5, 2 extra dice:
Extra dice (rerolling sixes): 2d6t5 2, 1 extra dice:
Extra dice (rerolling sixes): 1d6t5 1, 1 extra dice:
Extra dice (rerolling sixes): 1d6t5 0, at last, no more dice.

So total, 7 hits, I don't recall, but I think Johanne's beats the threshold, so he can run to the doors, but the question is - will they still be open at the next pass ;)

Moving to next pass:

(15) Rex action
(13) Bodyguards still ducking
(13) Fire Spirit next move
(21) Waywalker next move

@Waywalker, I've already roll the defense for the "spoof command", so you can just roll yours and see if it works:
Chopper resist to "spoof command": 10d6t5 4
[/spoiler]

Haywire

• Omae
« Reply #357 on: <05-21-17/1557:21> »

Mr. Johnson rushed in the Chopper, unaware that the elicopter was under Waywalker's control...

[spoiler]
A 5(6)/S 3(4)/D 3/F 4, running Agent, Virtual Machine, Decryption, Stealth
Initiative: 5d6+3 24
Pass 24: Brute force on Chopper: 13d6t5 5
Pass 14: control chopper: 13d6t5 3
If not successful, pass 4: control chopper: 13d6t5 5
The door will be locked and the chopper should start flying with johnosn inside: the objective is to make him crash with the chopper.
[/spoiler]

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #358 on: <05-21-17/1637:23> »
[spoiler]
Slight correction to your ini chart:

(1525) Rex action: After surviving Fear attack, Rex didn't have to use Full defense - instead he used Lightning Bolt on Fire Elemental
(13) Bodyguards still ducking: Influence is an Instant effect - meaning as long as no-one challenges his actions he doesn't get another resistance check
(1310) Fire Spirit next move: Spirit took 9 damage and dropped 3 points of Ini, leaving it with only one more action.
(21) Waywalker next move

[/spoiler]
talk think matrix