NEWS

Corporate Talent Acquisition

• 8 Replies

Leith

• Chummer
« on: <12-06-19/1934:23> »
Weird question, how much would a corp pay for an awakened but untrained child?

Keeping it breif, I'm prepping a run which revolves around a father trying to sell his child to a corp but she's run off. The PCs can help the dad or the girl depending on how much they value my friendship.
But to tempt them the dad is offering a reward, and has a whole family to feed in addition to the daughter.
So how much will a corp give him for selling his child into slavery? Or wage slavery. But, like, you can't resign.

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-07-19/0903:50> »
Keeping it breif, I'm prepping a run which revolves around a father trying to sell his child to a corp but she's run off. The PCs can help the dad or the girl depending on how much they value my friendship.
You're going to stop being their friend if they pick the wrong one?
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-07-19/1437:45> »
Lots of factors.

How old is the child? The most common time to Awaken in puberty. Probably the younger the better, in the eyes of the corp, since the earlier they can start their indoctrination the more effective it will be.

It also depends on the financial situation of the father. Is he rich but just evil and greedy? Or is he poor and desperate to feed the rest of his family?

A payment of ¥10,000 is loose change to a corp, especially a megacorp, but would put stars in the eyes of most SINless. Since most corps have deep pockets, I'd say that it's less about demand (how much the corp is willing to pay) but supply (how much the father is willing to accept, which goes back to the nature of the NPC). A father who is greedy, not desperate, might try to go for a six-figure payday.

You might frame this under the guise of "compensated adoption" to muddy the waters and to make it more morally ambiguous.

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-08-19/1654:52> »
Nothing so crass as slavery, no. The corp merely provides a full corp-funded scholarship to a corp-sponsored boarding school for Awakened children, and provides a generous stipend to the family. Naturally, the scholarship requires the child to work for the corp after graduation (or else reimburse the corp for the full value of their education, plus room and board, payable immediately and in full).

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-09-19/1657:27> »
Any number is arbitrary, so think about what story goals the money fills: 
This is a devil's deal.  In these kinds of stories, the money is enough to fundamentally change the fortunes of the family.  It doesn't have to be a lottery jackpot, but enough, for instance, to pay for the remaining childrens' colleges, or get a house in a good neighborhood, that sort of thing.  And, practically speaking, it has to be enough that the father can pay for these shadowrunners without jeopardizing his plans for the money. 
Also in these stories, the people usually squander the money and end up back where they started, because they're bad people for selling their kids.

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-10-19/2047:28> »
Thanks ppl. I think I'll metagame this one and make sure the runners have enough money to satisfy their insatiable greed for cool new toys.

I can resist everything except for temptation.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <12-22-19/0221:23> »
Nothing so crass as slavery, no. The corp merely provides a full corp-funded scholarship to a corp-sponsored boarding school for Awakened children, and provides a generous stipend to the family. Naturally, the scholarship requires the child to work for the corp after graduation (or else reimburse the corp for the full value of their education, plus room and board, payable immediately and in full).

This.

The Corps are not going to buy a "trussed up child that fell of the back of a truck". They don't need to.

They already run magical testing in all public schools, and will routinely test children of any parent that asks for magical potential. From there, its all about the $$$, and the potential. The corp will happily set an entire family up in with Corp jobs (they can always use someone else to sweep a floor, or work in the Recreational department...) to get their "hands" on a child with high magical potential.

and, when you really think about it, safer too....

After all... the awakened are literally one man armies when trained and outfitted.... Not exactly the type of person you want mad at you for say... kidnapping and forcing them into slavery.... Much better to just house the entire family, give the rest meaningless jobs and keep the walking, talking mini-nuke happy..  Carrot and Stick thing really..
« Last Edit: <12-22-19/0222:59> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Baby Rigger

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-22-19/2130:00> »
Weird question, how much would a corp pay for an awakened but untrained child?

But to tempt them the dad is offering a reward, and has a whole family to feed in addition to the daughter.
So how much will a corp give him for selling his child into slavery? Or wage slavery. But, like, you can't resign.

You recently watched "The Witcher" on netflix didn't you?

Leith

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <12-23-19/0956:36> »
I read Feral Cities. This is a thing in Lagos.