• 91 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #60 on: <02-06-11/1414:01> »
Yea I love living out of the van!
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #61 on: <02-08-11/1418:09> »
I would figure it'd be safer to live out in the wild than in your van. Set up your little shelter out somewhere, mark it so the wild life pays you a little respect, then line the perimeter with mono wire and proximity wire so to discourage the curious and to know when things are creeping around. Alternatively, if your character doesn't have those things, you can always take some ideas from nam`. There are plenty of ways to make someone not want to keep looking for you with nothing more than a knife, and some brain cells.  ;)
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Reaper

• Newb
« Reply #62 on: <02-08-11/2227:21> »
What about a barge with a foreign/extraterritorial registry? Many construction barges are partially submersible. Add some life support and living quarters and you have your own underwater appartment.  Ingress/egress can be handled above or below water as discretion dictates. The whole thing can be towed anywhere in the world, or any above water elements (cranes, etc.) can be ditched and you can plant it on a riverbed. Point security can be handled by modified construction drones which have a reason to be operating in the area 24-hours a day. 

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #63 on: <02-10-11/0650:00> »
I would figure it'd be safer to live out in the wild than in your van. Set up your little shelter out somewhere, mark it so the wild life pays you a little respect, then line the perimeter with mono wire and proximity wire so to discourage the curious and to know when things are creeping around. Alternatively, if your character doesn't have those things, you can always take some ideas from nam`. There are plenty of ways to make someone not want to keep looking for you with nothing more than a knife, and some brain cells.  ;)

I don't know about that... first the wildlife (and I am NOT talking about the club habitue at Dante's) of the 6th World is bit on the scary side. Second, as cool as getting back to nature may be civilization has its perks that tree bark and granola just don't beat. Third, easier to setup a long term sniper hide in the wild than say in the DT.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <02-10-11/1447:34> »
I honestly don't know enough about how scary the wild life might be, I know that hell hounds aren't my favorite things to see, but at the same time, I would guess that any person with enough knowledge about animals in general and a good knowledge of the outdoors could find a way of not getting eaten in their first 10 minutes out there. it's just a matter of knowing how animals behave, and behaving in step with them. if people can live with wolves, bears, and wolverines in the wild to study them i'm sure the same can be done with magical animals; at least to the point where they aren't actively chasing you for a meal.

If you can't live without modern food then you can always just pack it in. Just cause you're out in the bush doesn't mean you have to eat tree bark. Go hunt something and eat it if you want meat. just make sure you don't drag your meal home and take what you can use leaving the rest away from your place as to encourage the wildlife to attack your left overs away from your camp.

I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at with the sniper hide comment, so please elaborate?
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #65 on: <02-10-11/1707:52> »
Far easier to take somebody out with a sniper rifle in the wild than in an urban setting. I can set up a proper sniper hide and wait and wait. In the city, far less easy to do that.

I seem to remember a video with a guy 'living' with some bears...didn't we hear him screaming at the end?

There are behemoths, corpselights, dzoo-noo-qua, gargoyles, and more...  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #66 on: <02-10-11/1746:16> »
Far easier to take somebody out with a sniper rifle in the wild than in an urban setting. I can set up a proper sniper hide and wait and wait. In the city, far less easy to do that.

I seem to remember a video with a guy 'living' with some bears...didn't we hear him screaming at the end?

There are behemoths, corpselights, dzoo-noo-qua, gargoyles, and more...  ;D

I'm just saying, if you're not picky, and you know your way around the bush, you should look at it as a good option. Since a significant portion of the world tends to live in the city, and most people, aren't avid outdoorsy folk, There's plenty of space out there, and it wouldn't necessarily be easy to hunt you down much less shoot you with a sniper rifle. (Thick forest doesn't allow for a large line of sight.) While I won't argue on the effectiveness of a hide in the wild, I'll point out that your snipers face the same natural dangers as the guy in hiding. Which could discourage them all together. Besides that, you don't have to worry about KE and LS on the street looking for you, much less other errand boys, bums, gangers, even everyday joe's. Also needless to say, in the wild, theres a lot less digital security. No RFID bugs jumping on your clothes, no cameras tracking your movements, no Matrix to get tracked in...

On the issue of urban sniper hides, that isn't entirely true at all. You can easily set up a sniping position in any building over looking your target even if you're shooting up at your target. If there is a residential building and clear line of sight within 1km of the person you're trying to snipe, just pick any unit on the side of said building, kill the occupant(s) quietly. Stake the place out. make it look like things are happening as normal on the inside, then transform a room facing the target into the hide. wait for your target to give you a clean shot. Kill him, pick up your brass, and then set the unit on fire as you leave. No muss no fuss. Do it well, and KE won't have anything but a ballistic path to figure where the shot came from and it'll lead them to a burned out apartment that won't give them much for solid evidence other than someone was there and now is not.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Morg

« Reply #67 on: <02-10-11/1813:40> »
Sadly the bush only works if you have the savvy for it, most runners that cross my game table are city slickers. So they normally check out the shadow beat on a city they have never been to before then steal a few rides to get there and fort up on arrival. However my runners are a little extreme. They loves them some wet work and structure hits as many as possible and if they can fudge it they will make it on the same day

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <02-10-11/1815:12> »
Sadly the bush only works if you have the savvy for it, most runners that cross my game table are city slickers. So they normally check out the shadow beat on a city they have never been to before then steal a few rides to get there and fort up on arrival. However my runners are a little extreme. They loves them some wet work and structure hits as many as possible and if they can fudge it they will make it on the same day
.... I like these folks already :D
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #69 on: <02-11-11/0528:54> »
@ Teyl_Iliar
Get the trajectory path, determine where the shot came from and combine that with the time of death for the target. Now I know when the sniper left that building. Review security/traffic camera footage around/in the building and figure out who doesn't belong. Killed the apartment occupant? Now we can determine the time of death for them and continue building on the time line. What happens when Granny Lindelmueller stops by...does the sniper start stacking up corpses like cord wood? Does the sniper keep the rifle or toss it? If they keep it I can possibly match rifling on the bullet to other kills building slow but sure a dossier on the shooter.

Out in the wild...you might get a half-assed composite sketch from an owl.  ;)

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #70 on: <02-11-11/0945:48> »
By the same token, a dead body in an alley with no SIN can be a mountain of police work or quietly nudged into the gutter.  I don't know how you guys view the setting, but the latter is a bit more likely in my view.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #71 on: <02-11-11/1028:33> »
@ Teyl_Iliar
Get the trajectory path, determine where the shot came from and combine that with the time of death for the target. Now I know when the sniper left that building. Review security/traffic camera footage around/in the building and figure out who doesn't belong. Killed the apartment occupant? Now we can determine the time of death for them and continue building on the time line. What happens when Granny Lindelmueller stops by...does the sniper start stacking up corpses like cord wood? Does the sniper keep the rifle or toss it? If they keep it I can possibly match rifling on the bullet to other kills building slow but sure a dossier on the shooter.

Out in the wild...you might get a half-assed composite sketch from an owl.  ;)

So wear a disguise. there are plenty of ways to not look like yourself, from make up, to nano paste, and plenty of doors that  aren't the front to exit and enter from. If you have gecko gloves and a chameleon suit for instance, why go in the front door, when you can go through the 2 floor? You could just as easily break into said building, or even follow in someone who lives there. also, when you leave that building is on fire, I think if KE can pick you out of a crowd of people fleeing a burning building that could have had guests over at their place, you're screwed anyway. Bring a collapsable rifle, after you get away, destroy the barrel, and buy a new one on the black market. If someone without a key stops by, IGNORE them. If they have a key they have to die. Hide security must always be maintained.  Hell, the complexity of the amount of data floating around would make it difficult to sift through just to pick a person out. Not to mention the numerous other things anyone with a grain of experience could cook up to screw with detecting them ever being there, but that isn't what my topic is about. If you want to continue this discussion elsewhere I am most willing; but this is about safe houses, not where is it easier to get away with sniping people.

That being said, anyone have other safe house ideas to share?
« Last Edit: <02-11-11/1040:26> by Teyl_Iliar »
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #72 on: <02-11-11/1041:19> »
By the same token, a dead body in an alley with no SIN can be a mountain of police work or quietly nudged into the gutter.  I don't know how you guys view the setting, but the latter is a bit more likely in my view.
Also a good point. :D
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #73 on: <02-11-11/1046:27> »
Get the trajectory path.....
this is the tricky (near impossible) Part: a difference in the Stance of the victim of only 1/2 a Centimeter can mean a difference of about 3-400 Meters at a Distance of 600-800 Meters (medium Snipers distance).
And once the victim is down its nearly Impossible to get his exact Position and thus the exact trajectory Path.
If you have a missed Bulled in the Wall thats ok, You can work with that one but not if the Killer hit the Victim

with a nearly impossible Dance
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #74 on: <02-11-11/1109:17> »
There is a spell in the 4th world that allowed the caster to view the last few moments of a corpses life from their point of view.  If the 6th world could cook up something like that, it might make a lot of forensic magicians wet their collective pants.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."