NEWS

Spirit Power: Binding

• 11 Replies

dougansf

• Newb
« on: <08-02-20/2252:20> »
Earth and Water Spirits both have the Binding Power.

The Binding Power has different effects based on the range of the power (LOS, Touch, Self).

What version of the power do these spirits have?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-03-20/0932:52> »
With it being unspecified, it'll have to fall back to Rule Zero: the GM is always right.  GM decides which range your spirit's Binding power has.

As a personal take: I'd lean towards saying summoned spirits have the Touch range. 

Edit: Alternately, one might say summoned spirits come with the most restrictive range: Self. Range could be upgraded to touch by selecting binding again via optional bonus power pick, and range could be upgraded again to LOS by picking it a third time.
« Last Edit: <08-03-20/0934:37> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-03-20/1114:41> »
The way I thought of it, for Earth and Water elementals, it was both LOS and Touch, giving spirit ability to choose based upon its need.

Would be nice to have actual RAW on this, though.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-03-20/1606:58> »
Doesn't seem as if this changed that much since 5th edition to be honest...
In 5th edition LOS was mostly for critters that could shoot some sort of webbing.

In 6th edition the only critters that have this power so far are earth and water spirits.
Since materialized spirits are not subject to gravity there would be no point in having Range: Self

Therefor I argue that range on the binding power for earth and water spirits is Touch.

(Having said that; Unlike previous edition, in 6th edition there is no longer any mentioning about materialized spirits not being affected by gravity, so...)

dougansf

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-03-20/1610:30> »
Since materialized spirits are not subject to gravity there would be no point in having Range: Self

I was wondering about that as well.
Given that Engulf is already an available power to immobilize in close combat, it makes more sense to be that they get the LOS version.

Thanks for the confirmation that it's not in the book somewhere.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-03-20/1634:20> »
(you can't drag them away with engulf)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <08-04-20/0256:04> »
While SR5 said Spirits could all hover/fly, I haven't found anything on that in SR6. So I don't think that rule counts anymore.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-04-20/0257:10> »
While SR5 said Spirits could all hover/fly, I haven't found anything on that in SR6. So I don't think that rule counts anymore.

I'm pretty sure it was an inadvertent omission to neglect to say spirits can fly... but I whole-heartedly support the nerf whether it was accidental or not.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-04-20/0335:34> »
I would not mind if it is intended that materialized spirits are now earth bound (they can still 'fly' in astral space and when manifesting rather than materializing).

But if that is the intention then Binding would make sense to have range: Self (otherwise water spirits would need a boat to travel over open water...)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <08-04-20/0541:38> »
I like the nerf because it puts more value on flying drones. More power to Riggers!
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-04-20/0912:23> »
I like the nerf because it puts more value on flying drones. More power to Riggers!
They also become a lot easier to fight as a melee adept.

edit (which I think is good)

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-04-20/1156:09> »
I believe Paula is confused about the type of binding we are discussing