NEWS

A Clockwork Timebomb?

• 342 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #30 on: <02-20-12/1503:03> »
Also, don't forget Slamm-0!s parents, they're still alive and Shadowrunning!  Granny and Grampy Shadowrunner isn't going to let that go without nothing!
And would, by virtue of being in "the life" for as long as they have, certainly have contacts of their own, to boot.  Maybe not full-on Jackpointer/Street Legend types, but a lifetime worth of experienced Shadowrunners, all the same.

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <02-20-12/1600:53> »
Often, what gets you killed isn't a threat you're aware of and simply don't plan for thoroughly enough; it's a threat that blind-sides you.

I can see Clockwork being smart enough to make plans about Fastjack, Slamm-O, Netcat, and the 'usual suspects'.  (Although he might not be as smart as he think he is...)  Which would include Slamm-O's shadowrunning relatives.  But I can see Bull being the threat Clockwork never even considers, or discounts as being too old to be a problem.

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #32 on: <02-20-12/1605:29> »
Clockwork would be a skidmark. Most of the white hats would take part in the operation. A lot more would share information, but not take any personal risk. Those who don't really care would sit out and keep quiet (all the excuse Pistons needs to put a hit on Haze). 
Andrew Grim

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #33 on: <02-20-12/1957:20> »
Which sounds like a stiff wind against a house of cards. JackPoint is held together by a combination of trust, professionalism, and non-interference. This kind of polarizing action would clean house, and might redefine JackPoint as where the goodie-goodies hang out. At least insofar as ANYONE is SR is a goody. ;)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #34 on: <02-20-12/2103:43> »
I wouldn't classify most of the talent on JackPoint as "goody-goody."  I probably wouldn't put anyone in the SR community on the Good-Bad scale.

More like the Might-Not to When-Do-I-Get-Paid scale.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #35 on: <02-20-12/2113:03> »
Well-said. *tips hat* :)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <02-20-12/2114:07> »
Often, what gets you killed isn't a threat you're aware of and simply don't plan for thoroughly enough; it's a threat that blind-sides you.

I can see Clockwork being smart enough to make plans about Fastjack, Slamm-O, Netcat, and the 'usual suspects'.  (Although he might not be as smart as he think he is...)  Which would include Slamm-O's shadowrunning relatives.  But I can see Bull being the threat Clockwork never even considers, or discounts as being too old to be a problem.

What about people not even on JackPoint?  They could be even further below Clockwork's radar.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #37 on: <02-20-12/2200:27> »
I wouldn't classify most of the talent on JackPoint as "goody-goody."  I probably wouldn't put anyone in the SR community on the Good-Bad cale.
When the world is as dark, dirty, and violent as the one you're in, you forget about good, you forget about heroes, you forget about that fairy tale stuff.

You find the hardest, meanest, most sadistic SOB and DOB that ever walked the Earth, and pray you can convince them to be on your side.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #38 on: <02-20-12/2233:26> »
Agree with both Red and wish I could quote Canray in my games.

I think a conflict is coming... and Clockwork may appear to be the bullet, but someone else may pull the trigger.  And then Jackpoint will fall apart.  The majority of jackpointers don't want to be pulled into something messy like intercine conflict.  If they wanted that, they would work for the Corps/Government/Secret Societies.  So Clockwork gets stamped (poor sucker guy), but Jackpoint, in its current form, ends.  Maybe in time it can be rebuilt... but I think its enemies, and there are potentially many, would make sure that doesn't happen.

Also, as good as the jackpointers may be individually, and maybe they can work okay together as well, they're not perfect or unbeatable.  And an enemy  who knowns them, really knowns them, and has the resources and coordination, could wipe out enough key members to end them as a group.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #39 on: <02-20-12/2241:00> »
That might be true, Ray...but it doesn't have to be. There's a place for heroes.

Maybe it's time for me to remind people that giants walk the earth....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <02-20-12/2245:11> »
How in the nine Hells do we get along?

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <02-20-12/2254:44> »
That's an extraordinarily good question. I don't have a matching answer.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #42 on: <02-20-12/2258:25> »
Alcohol?

Good has it's place if only to show how rotten the rest of the world is. There was an amazing bit of script in a Rifts book (Psyscape maybe?) that started "I will fight the good fight". Don't remember the rest unfortunately but it was very inspiring. 
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <02-20-12/2319:48> »
Alcohol?
Neither of us drinks.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #44 on: <02-20-12/2324:22> »
So it's not booze. Hmmmm...no, drawing a blank.

Oh, and I'm all about fighting The Good Fight. (And this is probably my most blatant thread-steal ever.)