NEWS

Vintage Guns

• 43 Replies

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #15 on: <11-24-10/0424:28> »
It's just a conversation, man, no big deal.  It's the whole reason we're here, isn't it?

WHAT?? Not the flames, rules-lawyering, bitching about product deadlines? Dammit...
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-24-10/0447:53> »
Holy Schnikies!!! What did I do?

It was an idle question for what was a light conversation. I did not know it would cause such an uproar. I know that the SR firearms rules were made specifically to avoid such a headache and am fully against actually TRYING to implement such a thing...just wondering in vague terms, specifically sense we were talking "vintage', if anyone had any thoughts on the matter to further the conversation.

Wow, next time Ill keep my mouth shut.  :o  :-\

No,please don't :)
I(We) acted that way Is because I(we ?) am a "burned Child"(German saying).
I've had this Discussion tooooo Often and I remember a lot of flames because everybody invcolved was a Gun expert(self Proclaimed) and everybody was right and nobody wanted to listen to other arguments.
And I also acted that way because I thought you were an Oldschooler whom I know from German Forums (Mystic)

with a friendly Dance
Medicineman

« Last Edit: <11-24-10/0851:16> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #17 on: <11-24-10/0540:17> »
Null Sheen everyone. Like in my last post I was gonna make a change to lighten it up. I try not to take myself so seriously.

It's just a conversation, man, no big deal.  It's the whole reason we're here, isn't it?

WHAT?? Not the flames, rules-lawyering, bitching about product deadlines? Dammit...

I'll send you a flamethrower for the hollidays, hows that?  8)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #18 on: <11-24-10/0624:37> »
Back to your main line of thoughts, Mystic.

For vintage guns, I'd be happy to consider going by old school caliber, just tell them that, with all the corporate mergers and mass production, modern guns really have been reduced to a caliber per class and the differences now reside entirely in the tech of the gun. This helps make ammo for that vintage gun even more "special" when they find it.

As others have mentioned, caliber is a great thing to mention as part of the story of the game, to give them an idea of the enemy they're dealing with. Someone taken down by an 8 gage slug was certainly dealing with a more deranged, and stronger, SOB than the guy shot in the back of the head, at close range, with a .22. Me, I'd be more afraid of the .22. The SOB with a giant shotgun, he'll stick out, I'll see him coming. The man with the .22 is either some crazy spy from MI6 or mafia, cool, in control and prepared to kill as necessary, with the minimal fuss necessary.

Aside from that, caliber makes me shudder, it's not the flame-war shudder Medicineman likely had. It's the GM shudder from when I ran a little game called d20 Modern, where every gun was listed with its caliber and my players were the hoarder types who wanted to salvage every scrap of ammo they came across. Which meant remembering what each gun each mook used. Very good reason, IMO, to resort to "light pistol caliber", "heavy pistol caliber", etc, in the rules.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <11-24-10/0703:15> »
Don't remind me... thats when I stopped with some details and just give them "gun X and 3 clips of ammo, look it up yourself". When looting gets to the point where it takes way to much time away from the game, I make it more generic (except for campaigns where stuff like that matters a lot, of course).

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #20 on: <11-25-10/0038:35> »
Never had that happen because not in D20 modern, but in the old Twilight 2000 game my group briefly ran. Talk about a logistical NIGHTMARE! Not only were we going after ammo, but parts, fuel, ways to purify water, etc etc. I need a tylenol just thinking about it.

Only reason I brought it up the ammo thin is because back in the day, I introduced the same group to SR3 about two years ago (handn't picked up 4e yet). And with more than one gunbunny in the group, I was asked the ammo question. I based the light, heavy, etc ammo on familiar  modern calibers to make the explination of the game and combat mechanics siimpler. Easier to have something they know and can relate to in my opinion.

Like Chaemera and Critias have allued to, its a lot easier, and fun to describe things with a bit more detail than "heavy pistol ammo. " even though they know that its just fluff.

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #21 on: <11-25-10/0357:59> »
Never had that happen because not in D20 modern, but in the old Twilight 2000 game my group briefly ran. Talk about a logistical NIGHTMARE! Not only were we going after ammo, but parts, fuel, ways to purify water, etc etc. I need a tylenol just thinking about it.

Yeah, but T2K was post-apocalyptic (sort of). It was about survival and people were supposed to sweat logistics. If I remember right, empty shell casings were used as currency.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #22 on: <11-25-10/0448:18> »
What, no bottlecaps? ;)

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #23 on: <11-25-10/1315:49> »
For someone who wants formulas to roughly equate real bullet stats to SR4 scale damage, see the table I posted (link below)

http://wiki.dumpshock.com/index.php/User:MJBurrage/Caliber#Possible_formulas

• Taking the base 3 log of the bullets energy in Joules gives a scale that is close.
  • Raising the Joules to the power 1/4 gives a range I like a little more (lower on the bottom and higher on the top)
  • Taking the Joules per mm2 and dividing by 33 seems to give a good approximation of AP

Morg

« Reply #24 on: <01-10-11/0111:32> »
My Vintage Gun  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #25 on: <01-10-11/0655:00> »
Pimp my crossbow? :P
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Morg

« Reply #26 on: <01-10-11/1606:26> »
I dub thy crossbow Pimped!  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #27 on: <01-10-11/1612:25> »
My Vintage Gun  ;D

Ok this is slick, in a totaly insane sort of way.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #28 on: <01-10-11/1653:10> »
I have to say, I LOVE that flintlock.

Outsider

• Newb
« Reply #29 on: <01-21-11/1829:00> »
An FN FAL or any Post WW2 Soviet weapon like the 9x18 Makarov or the 7.62x25 PPS-42
There are two things cheap in life. A plane ticket and piano wire.

V zhizne tolko dve veshi bivayut deshoviye: bilet na samolet i struna dla pianino.