Superthyroid gland

• 22 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <11-12-18/1018:50> »
They do not. Where is that written?
This was fixed in the master index. Originally Core said the bonus from AUGMENTATIONS is capped at +4. Increase [Attribute] and Attribute Boost explicitly mention obeying it. So anything not-augmentation and not mentioning obeying it, breaks it. In other words, under original RAW, drugs and Possession break Augmented Maximum.

However, right now the rules state "This applies to all sources of attribute increases. Whatever the source, or combination of sources, the maximum bonus for any attribute is always +4, unless specifically excepted." I have no idea if anything says so, asides from wireless RE+WR?

(Note that drug is still no augmentation, so still would read as stacking with some ware, even if it has to obey Augmented Maximum.)
« Last Edit: <11-12-18/1020:43> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

adzling

« Reply #16 on: <11-12-18/1230:28> »
Michaels note above is correct afaik.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <11-12-18/1243:19> »
If something doesn't say it has an exception, it doesn't have an exception?

Synthacardium gives no exceptions, so it should stack with anything (that doesn't itself have an exception that prevents it from stacking with the synthacardium, at least).  Of course since it doesn't give itself an exception to the universal limit of +4 bonus per stat from augmentations, so that still applies.
Unfortunately most says they don't stack based on attribute. Muscle Toner says it doesn't stack with other boosts to Agility. Same for MA and Strength, SB/RE/WR and Reaction. THAT is what makes it worthless: The only Str/Rea/Agi ware it stacks with is Muscle Replacement.

I had missed that Reaction Enhancers and Wired Reflexes have the same language... I was figuring that while Bioware equivalents to Cyberware tend to come with restrictions, a Suprathyroid was simply better synergizing with cyber rather than bio based augmentations.

But still, just because you have a Suprathyroid it doesn't preclude you from having RE/WE for example (and its own +1 Reaction wouldn't stack anyway once the RE/WE got to +4 due to it lacking the explicit power to break the augmented limit). The Suprathyroid's relevant bonuses just won't stack and you still get the benefit of the others.  Unlike certain bioware which does make mention of prohibiting even the implantation of 'competing' augmentations.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <11-12-18/1456:33> »
Still sucky at the price when it doesn't stack. If you got any other augmentations, it's an utter waste.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

adzling

« Reply #19 on: <11-12-18/1510:19> »
totes.

the errata team took this up a while back, i'm checking to see if our proposed errata was submitted to jason.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #20 on: <11-13-18/0008:51> »
I think it has it's place, at 35k .18e per stat point a it's reasonably costed.
It's generalist, so it's not you best min/maxing option. But if your looking for something well rounded, it could fit that role very well.

You can't beat the efficiency of the single cyberarm method, (With a pistol at-least).  But while a single cyberarm and some init gear can make a character functional in combat it doesn't make them a first tier combatant, it takes a lot more to reach that level.

The same can be said for this, climb the bio tree and it won't take you as far as cyberware, but it will give you more options in the sense that you will have a lot more open essence then the cyberware. Though It's worth consider that it may not be true anymore with the Advent of the intuition bioware. I guess it could work for ether.

But I think that's all working as intended.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

&#24525;

« Reply #21 on: <11-13-18/0016:01> »
Quote from: Master Core 455
Muscle Replacement

It increases both your Strength and Agility attributes by its rating. It cannot be combined with other augmentations to the muscles, including muscle augmentation or muscle toner bioware.
Looks like replacements stack with superthyroid gland.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <11-28-18/1934:55> »
Juicer build:  Narco, Kamikaze, Betameth and Superthyroid Gland.  +4 Str, + 4 Reaction, +3 Agility, +3 Body, +2 Intuition and Willpower, +2d6 Initiative.  160Kish Nuyen and Restricted Gear, and you've got your stats and Initiative covered.  Frees up quite a bit if your Samurai can get by with B resources.  C resources if you go with a Used Superthyroid Gland, which is great for an Ork or Dwarf build.

I considered playing such a character but realized I didn't have anywhere near the energy level required to RP properly.  But a 5 Edge Ork with ridiculous stats, hyperactive murder machine has to be a thing for someone....