NEWS

SR6 Range of a PAN

• 11 Replies

Darksithmstr

• Newb
  • Fraggin' A
« on: <10-26-20/0128:01> »
Do PAN have a range, I don't see anything in the book, so if a team shares a Decker's PAN which is better protected than a Commlink.  But is range based on Device rating, or is it a flat range?
See u in the Matrix!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-26-20/0457:38> »
I don't think it's specified, so up to the GM what they consider reasonable. As a GM I'd prolly draw the line at 1km, which is where Noise levels are still low. Alternatively, 'as long as you're still directly connected' noise-wise.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-26-20/0831:26> »
It's limited by noise due to distance
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <10-26-20/1530:55> »

In what way?  Noise>device rating of the device the PAN is based on?  Or as soon as there is noise from distance (100m iirc)?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-26-20/1603:47> »

In what way?  Noise>device rating of the device the PAN is based on?  Or as soon as there is noise from distance (100m iirc)?

Once the noise penalty is high enough to reduce the device rating to zero you lose the connection

Example ... a Renraku Sense (device rating 3) loses connection to a PAN (such as the deckers deck) once they are more than 1 km away (at 1001 meters noise penalty is 3)
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <10-26-20/1608:09> »
Does running Signal Scrubber on a Deck help there?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-26-20/1659:13> »
Does running Signal Scrubber on a Deck help there?

That would extend the decks range but that's only one way, the commlink is the weak point
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-28-20/1501:54> »
Thanks Banshee, that is a nice common sense ruling that will be easy to remember.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <10-29-20/0408:35> »
I forget if daisychaining is an option: Connect gear to comm, comm to deck, so your low Device Ratings of gears aren't getting in the way.

Hey wait, if you jam so the PAN connection is lost, that means easier hacking. I need to remember that.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-29-20/1710:47> »
I forget if daisychaining is an option: Connect gear to comm, comm to deck, so your low Device Ratings of gears aren't getting in the way.

Hey wait, if you jam so the PAN connection is lost, that means easier hacking. I need to remember that.

Which raises the questions:
- do PANs automatically re-connect everything, once noise is down again? 
- if yes, is it instant, or after some lag?
- if not, what is the action to create a PAN and add things to it?

I'm think of the case where a solo decker uses the jam action to disrupt the opposition PAN, but then needs to drop the jamming in order to do their own hacking.  As soon as the jamming stops, is everyone protected again?  Or is there a window that you can take advantage of?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <10-29-20/1810:20> »

Which raises the questions:

I'm think of the case where a solo decker uses the jam action to disrupt the opposition PAN, but then needs to drop the jamming in order to do their own hacking.  As soon as the jamming stops, is everyone protected again?  Or is there a window that you can take advantage of?

Maybe these questions will be addressed when the Matrix book comes out.

For now: GM discretion.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <10-30-20/0837:48> »
Sure. I don't see why it shouldn't?

I don't see why there should be a delay here...?
As soon as noise is too high between the device and the device you use to connect to the matrix = not part of your PAN.
As soon as noise not too high between the device and the device you use to connect to the matrix = part of your PAN.

Most people are typically always connected to the matrix through their commlink which mean they typically always have a PAN. To manually add or remove devices to your PAN (either networking them or slaving them) you would probably take the Change Device Mode Anytime Minor Action (if you have DNI) or the Use Simple Device Initiative Major Action (if you don't have DNI).

I'm think of the case where a solo decker uses the jam action to disrupt the opposition PAN
You might want to consider using the Tar Pit action here, lowering the Data Processing rating of the opposition's commlink to zero will prevent him from taking the Send Message matrix action (making a call or send a text etc) without causing a temporary blackout that will affect everything in the vicinity, including your own comms, and even if the target PAN is more than 100 meters away. Using the Fork program let you disable two PANs at once (without splitting the pool).

...but then needs to drop the jamming in order to do their own hacking.  As soon as the jamming stops, is everyone protected again?  Or is there a window that you can take advantage of?
Again, I don't see why there should be a delay here...
If there is noise, then you are affected by noise.
If there is no noise, then you are not affected by noise.