NEWS

Ever have enough???

• 17 Replies

Onion Man

• Omae
  • Internet is a proper noun, capitalize every time
« on: <07-10-11/1106:09> »
Ever have enough rum, tequila, and triple sec in you where drinking an orange soda in the morning got you re-drunk???

Yeah.  That's my morning.
Description/Narrative
{Thoughts}
"Conversation"
"Voice over commlink"
Code: [Select]
Text over commlinkOrson "Pig" Fletcher

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: <07-10-11/1427:28> »
You kidding, where I used to work at, Put-in-Bay, people would put booze in their coffee, and the OJ was always the screwdriver type. If you weren't drunk, you aren't having a good time.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #2 on: <07-10-11/1448:05> »
I used to do tech support.  We needed to be drunk to do our jobs properly, but the company had a strict "No-Drinking" policy.  They barely, barely allowed bottled water on the floor!

Needless to say, there was a high amount of turnover and after-work binge drinking.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #3 on: <07-10-11/1936:02> »
I used to do tech support.  We needed to be drunk to do our jobs properly, but the company had a strict "No-Drinking" policy.  They barely, barely allowed bottled water on the floor!

Needless to say, there was a high amount of turnover and after-work binge drinking.

There are always ways.....

http://www.funis2cool.com/fun-stuff/hide-drink-at-work.html

'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: <07-10-11/1944:38> »
Drunk and doing tech support, man would I have been ugly!

Not that I was doing so hot at 3 AM.  Never could adjust to that schedule.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-11-11/1021:38> »
Not that I was doing so hot at 3 AM.  Never could adjust to that schedule.

How often did you guys rotate?
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: <07-11-11/1426:04> »
Ro-tate?

It was a seniority basis with provision for performance.  So a guy that's been there forever but sucks at his job just shy of getting fired gets the crappy shift.  I was mediocre at best.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

PeterSmith

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-11-11/1646:02> »
Got it. I was working at a place that wanted to go 24hr support, but for no good reason. When they came to us (consultants) our account manager said we were going to rotate shifts every week.

I told him where to shove his suggestion.

His obvious retort was to ask what my idea was. I told him to go monthly or longer, otherwise the rotation would chew us up. So we went with a monthly rotation...which lasted up until the buddy of one of the company guys got to first shift. "Chris is taking the first shift permanently, his girlfriend doesn't like the rotation." "Yeah, mine's not too keen on it either. She can suck it up like the rest of us." "It's settled. 2nd and 3rd shift rotate, client's request."
Power corrupts.
Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Peter Smith has the deadest of deadpans and a very sly smile, making talking to him a fun game of keeping up and slinging the next subtle zinger." - Jason M. Hardy, 3 August 2015

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: <07-11-11/1649:11> »
Yeah, mine wasn't so bad for the folks that could adjust to things.  I can't.  I'm an afternoon person, and I was starting my shift just as my body and mind were winding down.  Never a good start.  :(

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

BSOD

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-10-11/0619:52> »
haha, and I thought we lowly Students were bad. ;)

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #10 on: <08-10-11/0918:35> »
You are.
Myself, i only do late shift. 12:30 till 22:00
But if i could, i would start even later.
And i would do night shift too.
More money, less work, not a single person above my pay grade in the house.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-10-11/0948:41> »
You are.
Myself, i only do late shift. 12:30 till 22:00
But if i could, i would start even later.
And i would do night shift too.
More money, less work, not a single person above my pay grade in the house.

sounds like heaven.
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <08-10-11/1208:18> »
Until some idiot comes in, demeaning you and your skilled profession, demanding someone above your pay grade immediately.

And has legal papers in his hands.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-10-11/1310:38> »
Good tip for students: don't go to two free barrels Delerium Tremens (a beer here in Belgium, 12% alcohol) the evening before a practical exam.  Especially if that exam is Zoology.  Take it from me, getting into a room smelling of formaldehyde to find a crab in front of you that you have to dissect is not very funny.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <08-11-11/0333:22> »
Don't know If I've told this before...ah well, here it is again.

At Put-In-Bay, at the end of the season, all us island workers would have one hell of a party. One bar, the Boathouse, would serve what they called "White Spider". It was easy to make: take all remaining clear liquor on the shelf, pour into a tub. Stir once with a boat oar, and serve. The reason it was called "White Spider": it had one HELL of a bite. It was also different every year.

My last year, I had five. Or, at least that's what I was told. Dont rememer much after number three.

;)
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.