Shadowrun General > Gear

Licences

<< < (3/4) > >>

The_Gun_Nut:
Ya, those nanoforges would be super handy for making untraceable anythings.  Probably why it's so hard to get specs for stuff outta the corps (besides the whole "intrusion upon the bottom line" thing).

John Schmidt:
Might lead to a Shadowrun or something.  ;D

A 3D laser scanner could allow you to reverse engineer it. At the very least get a barrel/slide/bolt/firing pin.  ;D

FastJack:

--- Quote from: John Schmidt on ---I am going to respectfully disagree with Fastjack...in part.

Every legally sold firearm would probably have ballistics registered, along with shell casing marks (firing pin and extractor indentations). However, a technically minded individual with a CnC machine or one of those desktop nano forges with the schematics for lets say a Ruger Thunderhawk would be able to produce that weapon and even put a fake serial number on the pistol. Of course, you still have to worry about your gunsmith getting busted and offering you up for a reduced sentence. Nothing is perfect some are simply better than others.

Ammunition can be handled in much the same manner allowing you to bypass micro stamping on the projectile and the casing...right up to the point where you get to the gun powder. Tagnents are already common place in explosives and I expect the same to be true for gun powder within the next ten years time. Not really sure how to get around this one.

The idea is that you want a clean firearm that you can toss after using. The longer you keep that weapon and use it, the more crimes it ties you too. Steal a registered firearm? Ties you to the original theft. The cops start back tracking and see if they can match a vehicle or picture of you to traffic cams, ATMs, or security cams in the area prior to, during and shortly after the theft.

--- End quote ---
I agree with you, but the OP was posting about getting a legal license attached to his legal SIN. If he gets a license for the weapon a legit way, then the government will probably require a ballistics profile of the gun in the hyper-paranoid 2072 world.

Doc Chaos:

--- Quote from: Sonarean on ---I have a SINner PC and we want to know if there's any way to get actual licences for some of his gear.  The book presents rules for fake licences keyed to a fake SIN, but none for legitimate ones that I could find.

My current inclination is to charge 300 for a legal licence tied to a legal SIN.  What do other people think?  Should I even bother and just assume the SIN comes with the licences the character needs what with it being a 5BP negative quality?

--- End quote ---

If it fits the story and (more importantly) the job of the PC, I usually charge something between 50 and 500 euros for a licence. Forbidden equipment may be licenced, again depending on the job (MET2000 soldiers for example may of course carry a licence for assault rifles - while they are on duty)

Mystic:
Just my .0025 nuyen for thought.

Licenses may be a necessary evil depending on your (current) identity. In regards of legality, a license can actually SAVE your hoop. Have to geek that ganger who wanted to turn you into roadkill with that nice new Ares Pred IV? Oh look, Officer, I am a licensed security subcontractor and I was defending myself against this street scum...honest I was. Yeah, it will go into the system but better to be alive to worry about it later.

Just make sure the cover and your story works. Also having contacts to help it stick never hurts. It amazes me how many chumms of mine never even bother to think of having say, an alibi?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version