NEWS

Sybil virus: Clues and wild speculations

• 626 Replies

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #135 on: <06-25-13/1552:54> »
I vaguely remember something about cyber-zombie-mages.
Well, I don't remember but I think that any cyberzombie has a magic of 1. I don't think they can initiate or still maintain magical or technomantic power. I should look at augmentations, I know pretty well this chapter. But AFMB
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally."
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".
The more it changes, the more it is not the same  any more...:P

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #136 on: <06-25-13/1726:21> »
What if it is a rampant Pink Goo scenario? Only instead of the eat everything kind of problem we have a sort of organic (near-cell like) nanite that's going all slime mold on us... Okay, that made no sense. What I'm proposing is that we have an organic threat akin to a bacteria that infect a host then become a multi-celled organism with their own agenda. Only instead of gathering into a pile of slime, they fuse with the host. This way they can integrate with the body and any cyber-ware on a case by case basses... What if Type-O genetics are somehow involved?

Little quote Ive missed before:
Quote from: Corporate Guide, p. 106
Dr. Sharon stopped before a door marked SJT958.
Unlocking the door with an old-fashioned key, she opened it.
“We are cultivating autonomous biological control systems.
‘Wetware.’
Unfortunately, growing biological masses that
can keep pace with non-organic computational systems has
been difficult to say the least. This is why we’re pursuing other
avenues of research.”

Here it is. MCT once again?

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #137 on: <06-25-13/1758:59> »
I do remember of reading wetware again in Augmentation. Or Corporate enclaves, about Neo Tokyo. I know because i looked quite extensively for a good translation of the term for my players.
Oscar Wilde

Great Dragon: "Oh, look, he has a grenade belt. I guess it is time to retire quickly".

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #138 on: <06-27-13/1248:38> »
Okay, so is the Sybil 'virus' the result of someone picking up the Saeletra reference and running with it?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #139 on: <06-27-13/1605:09> »
Oh gods no I hope not. I'm still putting money on Saeletra blocking nukes.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Boomstick

• Chummer
  • Jack of all trades
« Reply #140 on: <06-27-13/1704:37> »
Okay, so is the Sybil 'virus' the result of someone picking up the Saeletra reference and running with it?
How would it be? What are you implying actually?
Oscar Wilde

VajraSupremus

• Chummer
« Reply #141 on: <06-27-13/1839:21> »
Memetics? Or an unknown force guiding and shaping the world from the Awakening beyond?

Does this line of thinking have anything to do with FJ catching that message?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!

Re:

« Reply #142 on: <06-27-13/2156:24> »
Saletera?

DamienHollow

Re:

« Reply #143 on: <06-28-13/0318:49> »
Saletera?

An unknown, unidentified entity who on December 24, 2011 sent a single message to the Shadowland BBS...
         "Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice." - Saeletra

And unfortunately that's all she wrote. No one has seen or heard from her since. Of course this is assuming anyone would have a clue who or what she was. Might not even be a she, could be a him, or an it... or a yet to be defined...
« Last Edit: <06-28-13/0320:36> by DamienHollow »

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #144 on: <06-28-13/0607:09> »
How would it be? What are you implying actually?

More of a question for the writers than anything else. Apparently, the original intent behind the posting is lost - so I'm just wondering if it's been co-opted for the Sybil 'virus' metaplot.

Malathis

• Chummer

Re:

« Reply #145 on: <06-28-13/1320:56> »
Saletera?

An unknown, unidentified entity who on December 24, 2011 sent a single message to the Shadowland BBS...
         "Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice." - Saeletra

And unfortunately that's all she wrote. No one has seen or heard from her since. Of course this is assuming anyone would have a clue who or what she was. Might not even be a she, could be a him, or an it... or a yet to be defined...

The greatest Red Herring ever?

DamienHollow

« Reply #146 on: <06-28-13/1807:36> »
I always figured it was just forgotten by the developers and ret cond as a sarcastic dragon or some such thing.

carmachu

• Newb
« Reply #147 on: <06-28-13/2001:24> »
Now I'll admit that my shadowrun history is a bit hazy, but I can swear this sounds familiar, inso much that wasn't there a story somewhere where folks use to share and swap bodies via the matrix? I recall a guy sharing taking over a woman's body for a night of fun and she woke up to her place a wreck with marshmellows and such.

DamienHollow

« Reply #148 on: <06-28-13/2112:46> »
Now I'll admit that my shadowrun history is a bit hazy, but I can swear this sounds familiar, inso much that wasn't there a story somewhere where folks use to share and swap bodies via the matrix? I recall a guy sharing taking over a woman's body for a night of fun and she woke up to her place a wreck with marshmellows and such.
When are the devs just going to suck it up and make a full on homage to Ghost in the Shell...? Awe crap... What if Sybil is a form of Ghost Hacking? Did you have to go that far trying to make the hacker "combat" capable? By the way, whose with me on changing the phrase to geek the hacker?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #149 on: <06-28-13/2118:09> »
Well, there's the Proteus board, which are basically metahuman biodrones for whoever the real master is behind the scenes, but other than that, the only way to go swapping bodies would be if two people were using rigged anthroform drones, or using magic, such as possession spirits or artifacts with crazy powers.

However, stories like what you are talking about do come up in Ghost in the Shell (where again, there are full-body cyborgs who sometimes switch bodies, but not via the matrix). The idea of something trying to take over and rewrite your consciousness via the computer has been done several times in cyberpunk and anime.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters