NEWS

So, how'd you find Shadowrun?

• 109 Replies

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #105 on: <04-18-12/0042:11> »
Sega Genesis game when I was 11, the Shadowrun novel "Never Deal With a Dragon" when I was 12, and that same year, I got into a table-top game of Shadowrun 2nd Edition. I played an Elven Decker, of course...

I liked the street sam from Never Deal with a Dragon. Ghost was the real hero.  Honorable, supremly good at combat and he even killed a Great Dragon.  Of course he was also a slightly sad character... Twist never realised he stole his girl.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

Atrox

• Newb
« Reply #106 on: <04-26-12/0727:39> »
My first contact was actually the Street Samurai Catalog. Back then - this was 1990, and in the hinterlands - there were virtually no sourcebooks available for Cyberpunk (2013, if I need to spell that out), and a gun catalogue came in useful, even if I had to assign CP stats. A couple of months later, I read Into The Shadows . . . a week later, I had the SR core rulebook.

While I sat out 3rd Ed., SR/SR2 has been one of my mainstay games, along with V:tM. Interestingly, both combine a strong story with sub-optimum mechancs . . . ;)

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #107 on: <04-27-12/2307:26> »
Sega Genesis game when I was 11, the Shadowrun novel "Never Deal With a Dragon" when I was 12, and that same year, I got into a table-top game of Shadowrun 2nd Edition. I played an Elven Decker, of course...

I liked the street sam from Never Deal with a Dragon. Ghost was the real hero.  Honorable, supremly good at combat and he even killed a Great Dragon.  Of course he was also a slightly sad character... Twist never realised he stole his girl.

I never got the feeling Haesslich was a Great Dragon. Did they mention his status somewhere? Lofwyr seemed to be awfully quick to dick around with Haesslich's business, which I think he wouldn't have been so obvious if Haesslich had been a Great. Or anywhere near Loffy's status. Also, Ghost was the man. Wanted more stories about Ghost. Of course, I want more stories about all of the old 2050's runners...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #108 on: <04-28-12/0046:34> »

I never got the feeling Haesslich was a Great Dragon. Did they mention his status somewhere? Lofwyr seemed to be awfully quick to dick around with Haesslich's business, which I think he wouldn't have been so obvious if Haesslich had been a Great. Or anywhere near Loffy's status. Also, Ghost was the man. Wanted more stories about Ghost. Of course, I want more stories about all of the old 2050's runners...

It was early days for Shadowrun, but he did walk around in human form and he was far more powerful then the feathered serpent dragon in the book...   but then your right, Lowfyr did stick his snout in very quickly and Haesslich was hurt (if not killed) by fairly mundane attack... so it would be easy to retrospectively say he was a powerful western, but not a Great. 

On a side note; Dragons have got progressively more powerful in the setting over the years. 
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #109 on: <04-28-12/0133:52> »
On a side note; Dragons have got progressively more powerful in the setting over the years.

They're mana-powered. The mana level is still rising.

Ergo, they have more power as time goes on. ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me