NEWS

Shield drone.

• 31 Replies

Automaton

• Chummer
« on: <12-08-13/1621:16> »
I have a question I would like some suggestions or opinions on. Using a rigger with an RCC controlling lets say 6 drones. Would it be possible to aside from the obvious attack drones have a shield drone?

Basically a drone carrying a heavy shield to protect the rigger? Can such a drone be used to interpose between the rigger and a melee or ranged attack? Would it/can it be effective in game?

Setting a drone to defense mode so it keeps that shield between the attacker and rigger, basically working as a carried shield used in defense, except its floating along on an "invisible" arm.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <12-08-13/1701:17> »
I don't think a drone without arms would be capable of properly handling a Shield. There's possibilities for GMs to houserule stuff, but without that, it's not possible. You can, however, use a drone as cover (such as a Steel Lynx).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <12-08-13/2248:55> »
I don't think a drone without arms would be capable of properly handling a Shield. There's possibilities for GMs to houserule stuff, but without that, it's not possible. You can, however, use a drone as cover (such as a Steel Lynx).

what about the Ares Duelist? In the description is says it has blade arms. Couldn't you make that a sword and board arm or just a board arm? Sure the defense bonuses would be house rule territory, but it would certainly be cool!
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Godwyn

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-09-13/0226:21> »
Modifying the drone should be pretty easy.  The rules problem I see is getting it to use the shield for the rigger.  Using the shield, probably not too hard, providing cover for rigger also easy.  Using the shield to buff the rigger ac and bypass str requirements and dice pool penalties, probably not allowed. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <12-09-13/0405:56> »
Like I said, GM territory. :) Mechanic test to replace a blade with a shield, then to get a very rare Targeting (Ballistic Shield) Autosoft, and it has 4 Body so '4 Strength', so it will take a -1 on its actions.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-09-13/0508:47> »
I was thinking of maybe using the interception action (pg194 5e) Giving the drone both a shield and weapon it would effectively be able to stop someone trying to reach the rigger with a melee attack.
For ranged attacks I suppose all it would be able to do is provide cover.. I don't see anything in the rules that allows someone to move in the way of an incoming ranged attack to protect someone else.

That would have to be an interrupt action I gues..

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #6 on: <12-25-13/2306:08> »
I have sudden images of those flying drone gun/shields from the various Gundam anime series.

-k

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #7 on: <12-27-13/1802:27> »
With arsenal it was possible to make your gun fly around. Why not the shield.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #8 on: <01-03-14/0710:21> »
You would need a sizable drone to pull this off... something at least human size and/or weight.

Bullets impact with a LOT of force, and a small drone would just get bounced about from the impacts and not provide any real benefit.

That said, a drone with that much mass also IS a kind of shield for the rigger just by its size. The rigger could just hide behind the drone for the +2-4 defense bonus....

I don't think you will find anything in the rules to help you figure this one out... as its kinda counter to the typical 'get out of the way is best' mentality when it cones to firearms :p

Also, not really seeing how armor on something/someone else helps ME. Sure, it makes the guy/thing with the shield tougher... but that has nothing to do with me or my protection... at best, he provides me with cover from incoming fire... but that doesn't help me any once the bullet gets past him/it (like armor would)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Automaton

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <01-07-14/0846:08> »
Actually "getting out of the way" when it comes to firearms IS all about taking cover as standing out in the open trying to get out of the way (a.k.a. dodging bullets) only works if you're name's Neo, you're The One and you are IN The Matrix. That last part might be true in Shadowrun but it's still not gonna help you unless you just hack the other guys gun and disable it.  8)

Anyway, so since taking cover is what you do to get out of the way of bullets, taking cover behind an object is a good option. If this object just happens to be a shield drone (as in a drone with a big shield) Who is also activally trying to stay in between you and incoming bullets then that should be of some sort of help. Whether that means you get a cover bonus, or the bullets need to penetrate the armor (shield) of the drone to hit you, or you simply get a bonus to your armor roll due to the shield is another thing but it should be of some use.

A flying drone might indeed not be the best option because you need a pretty big drone to carry a big shield if its also supposed to be flying (to bad there's no energy shields) So it would have to be walking... or it could be attached to your armor?.. How about a drone arm with a shield attached to your armor then?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-07-14/1049:00> »
Once again. Panther assault canon was possible to be transferred into flying weapon stable enought to sustain the energy of the shot. No big drone, and some maneuverability included. Two or three such shields circling around you provides good cover and good balistic protection imho.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-07-14/2025:28> »
Once again. Panther assault canon was possible to be transferred into flying weapon stable enought to sustain the energy of the shot. No big drone, and some maneuverability included. Two or three such shields circling around you provides good cover and good balistic protection imho.

I keep hearing about this mythical "flying assault canon"... can you point me to the book and page please?

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-08-14/0321:11> »
Afb, but in weapon modifications in Arsenal, there is mod called IIRC Mobility. It has two or three ranks, the last allowing weapon to fly, effectively changing it to wepon drone. Exact quote Ill add lately

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-08-14/2310:02> »
Ah, found it. Called propulsion system, requires a smart system AND a pilot program..... and you only get 2 minutes flight... not to mention the gun becomes a drone with only 2 armor and 2 body.

So... buyer beware.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <01-09-14/0602:56> »
That means +4 dices in addition to shoeld balistic armor. 2 minutes thats about 40 CT's.