NEWS

Upcoming Shadowrun releases

• 1367 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1260 on: <07-11-20/1409:17> »
It seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, but the Krime Katalog also just came out:  https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/319946/Shadowrun-Krime-Katalog
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1261 on: <07-14-20/0921:39> »
FA grenade and missile launchers in KK. Sigh. Even with the increased scatter that just further breaks the already most unbalanced part of the current game.

You're killin' me, smalls.
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #1262 on: <07-14-20/0959:55> »
From the perspective of the Brand something is better then nothing. Cash grabs are as old Unearthed Arcana, no shame in it.
But 6e ain't the dark side, it's the road no where. But please do let me know when all those newbies pulled in by how easy 6e is to learn, actually show up.
We know your feelings on 6E, since you've been very keen to pop in and announce them every time 6E is talked about. Ever think of taking a break and just letting all the hatred and vitriol go so the rest of us can enjoy the game?

Oh I’m sorry and here I was thinking this was forum to discuss Shadowrun. Clearly I was mistaken. As to newbies I have been nothing but supportive of them. But apparently Fastjack has joined your little obsession in cheering on 6e Chandra.  I’ll leave you both to it. Don’t forget worry I’ll check back ever now and then keep you honest Chandra ;)
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #1263 on: <07-14-20/1001:37> »
FA grenade and missile launchers in KK. Sigh. Even with the increased scatter that just further breaks the already most unbalanced part of the current game.

Hmmm, what are the hard counters to missiles and grenades?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1264 on: <07-14-20/1002:24> »
Don’t forget worry I’ll check back ever now and then keep you honest Chandra ;)

Full time job bro! Hope you make a good wage. :)

Hard counter? Being outside range or so close to the attacker that they will take the damage as well is all I can think of.

Partial mitigation, though? Several options. They are mostly just not efficient compared to the overwhelming damage codes, especially if we are talking multiple explosive attacks on the same character's turn.
« Last Edit: <07-14-20/1004:18> by Lormyr »
"TL:DR 6e's reduction of meaningful choices is akin to forcing everyone to wear training wheels. Now it's just becomes a bunch of toddlers riding around on tricycles they can't fall off of." - Adzling

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1265 on: <07-14-20/1018:05> »
Nerfing them to lower damage levels. https://shadowland.blog/2020/05/24/houserules-damage/
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1266 on: <07-14-20/1025:21> »
House rules are fine for individual groups, but are not really a helpful answer to questions about the rule set itself. Anyone can just make up anything they want, so in that context, individuals can "fix" anything that doesn't work for them. But when someone wants to know how they do something within the actual rule set, saying "just make up something" is the opposite of useful.

Adjacent to that, I can't think of many people who would be happy paying for skeleton rules for a game they then have to fill in and/or balance themselves. A complete, balanced rule set should always be the goal of any gaming product. People makes errors or bad calls though, and that is ok, so long as those things can be discussed openly and ownership is taken. Preferably followed by correction.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1267 on: <07-14-20/1148:34> »

*Blinks*

My name is Ray.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1268 on: <07-14-20/1224:22> »
House rules are fine for individual groups, but are not really a helpful answer to questions about the rule set itself.
*shrug* Hey, you don't have to read my posts. Nobody's putting a gun against your head. But I always make a strict distinction between 'this might fit your tastes better' and 'this seems like a balance mistake, so here's a way to fix it'. And in both cases, I always make very clear what things are based on, so it's as far 'just make something up' as you can get.

In this case, I very clearly make the point that I believe these damage levels were missed in the rebalancing of the damage numbers. Literal quote: "However, there’s a few things the rebalance seems to have partially missed". As such, it's not 'just make something up', it's 'here's the spirit of the law, and as such we're arguing for how the law MUST be changed to respect said spirit'. Which is a perfectly helpful answer to questions about the rule set itself.

You're killing me, Ray. I love Krime! I really hope to read more Krime stories in the future. The Huzars one is still brilliant.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1269 on: <07-14-20/1235:38> »

*Blinks*

My name is Ray.

Sandlot quote. You'll have to forgive me. :p

While you're here though, can I pick your brain about the thought process behind FA explosives being a good idea? Happy to take it to pms if you prefer.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1270 on: <07-14-20/1241:09> »
Warnings have been sent. In case you didn't realize it by the title, this topic is Upcoming Shadowrun releases, not "What I hate about 6E". There are plenty of other threads for that.

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1271 on: <07-14-20/1245:45> »
House rules are fine for individual groups, but are not really a helpful answer to questions about the rule set itself.
*shrug* Hey, you don't have to read my posts. Nobody's putting a gun against your head. But I always make a strict distinction between 'this might fit your tastes better' and 'this seems like a balance mistake, so here's a way to fix it'. And in both cases, I always make very clear what things are based on, so it's as far 'just make something up' as you can get.

In this case, I very clearly make the point that I believe these damage levels were missed in the rebalancing of the damage numbers. Literal quote: "However, there’s a few things the rebalance seems to have partially missed". As such, it's not 'just make something up', it's 'here's the spirit of the law, and as such we're arguing for how the law MUST be changed to respect said spirit'. Which is a perfectly helpful answer to questions about the rule set itself.

You're killing me, Ray. I love Krime! I really hope to read more Krime stories in the future. The Huzars one is still brilliant.

I read every post that relates to the elements I am interested in, including yours. You know full well I don't care for you one bit, but that doesn't make me unable to recognize the times you do post a good idea, so yes I read them.

That said though, did you write any of SR6? I didn't either. For me that means we can't factually state what the spirit of the rules or factually state what RAI is. We can only factually state what a rule actually says. For all you or I know, it could very well be intended that all damage but explosives we're scaled back.

I mean I have been bitching about this endlessly since last summer, the FAQ team is aware of it, SSDR has commented on it numerous times, and the developers still haven't addressed it. Maybe it is just the way they want, and intend it, dude. That is why I believe questions about the rule set that don't receive answers based upon written rules are less than helpful. I understand that perspective is subjective, though.

To be clear, your house rule is good. It's a not an actual game rule though, which means it won't help everyone.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1272 on: <07-14-20/1314:27> »
I'll admit that when I read "FA with missiles and grenades in KK!" I experienced trepidation.

But now having read the source directly: I'm less concerned, as you can't perform Wide BF or Narrow BF bursts, nor does it appear that the intent is to allow performing FA bursts either. (although a restriction against doing so probably ought to be tightened up)
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1273 on: <07-14-20/1328:16> »
What upcoming titles do we know, by the way? Something something Wyrd for Magic book? What's Run Furiouser Fire Faster really going to be named? What's the new Threats book going to be?

Also, will CanRay ever release Krimes Against Metahumanity, the new novel about an angry sheep that tries to perform Winternight 2.0?

Lormyr

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #1274 on: <07-14-20/1427:42> »
I'll admit that when I read "FA with missiles and grenades in KK!" I experienced trepidation.

But now having read the source directly: I'm less concerned, as you can't perform Wide BF or Narrow BF bursts, nor does it appear that the intent is to allow performing FA bursts either. (although a restriction against doing so probably ought to be tightened up)

I can't access the source atm, but I do not recall any language preventing any of those things, just less reliable rules for how they scatter. Even if that is accurate just having a launcher with the capability to FA explosives, and the new attack modes that can potentially unlock, is the last thing the most overpowered attack in the game needed.